BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #23
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Here is how this woman solved the problem, I am all for this approach

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

^^ Hahaha nice.

On a more serious note, the TSA is a failure because it was created out of a government mandate. They can potentially do whatever they feel like because they are the government.

So should air travel security be a government responsibility? What happens if we let the airlines/airport determine security on the plane and at the airport? It'll cost them money that they will pass onto us, but the cost of the TSA is removed. It's possible that they will have a more creative approach to air travel security than medieval groping methods.
      11-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Also see NWS: Naked body scan, or grope?

I'm with those who say profiling (especially identifying suspicious behavior) should be used. And use dogs to sniff those who are fingered. Grope those who should be groped, rather than every fifth passenger. The thought of terrorists being out there somewhere has brought us to accepting government randomly putting their hands down our pants.

What they are trying to do it to intimidate everyone to timidly accept naked body scans. I would bet that even if they really do delete the pictures, that they have a computer that identifies your body like a fingerprint. They anticipate one day having naked body scanners in many public passageways, like train depots, bus stations, sports arenas, public schools, court houses, concert halls, shopping malls... you name it. They will have the data that shows where you go. They can then track you without installing a microchip in your flesh.
      11-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #26
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Also see NWS: Naked body scan, or grope?

I'm with those who say profiling (especially identifying suspicious behavior) should be used. And use dogs to sniff those who are fingered. Grope those who should be groped, rather than every fifth passenger. The thought of terrorists being out there somewhere has brought us to accepting government randomly putting their hands down our pants.

What they are trying to do it to intimidate everyone to timidly accept naked body scans. I would bet that even if they really do delete the pictures, that they have a computer that identifies your body like a fingerprint. They anticipate one day having naked body scanners in many public passageways, like train depots, bus stations, sports arenas, public schools, court houses, concert halls, shopping malls... you name it. They will have the data that shows where you go. They can then track you without installing a microchip in your flesh.

good response, thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #27
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
Real profiling is not "Muslim men on one way tickets". It is behavior based and is applied by competent, well trained security professionals. It can be effective, but it is not easy and it is not cheap since you have to retain quality people.

The American TSA is a joke, almost third world like (and I spend a lot of time in third world countries). A large number of the agents are either poorly trained or untrainable, lacking both skills and situational awareness. The system as applied in front of the traveling public is little more than theater.

If you are worried about explosives you get dogs, period. Unless of course you are using public fear to generate sales of expensive equipment, in which case you do what the United States is doing.

As for the risks of the equipment itself; if there is none why does the TSA prohibit its employees from wearing dosimeters? The lady who cleans my teeth has one, as does every other employee in the dental office. But the TSA employees, standing all day next to X-ray equipment, do not.

I will take German security over American any day. In fact most of Europe, with the exception of the UK, is better at this than we are. And a key part of that is having agents who are not acting like thugs and can in turn keep the process relaxed, which lets the behavioral aspect come to the forefront.

Good response, and good response singling out my particular example. Again my example was an EXTREME comparison example. I'm simply saying using profiling correctly is one of the best ways to prevent terrorism...as well as many crimes.

It's all about reading a persons emotions, actions, body movements, etc etc.

As you said, and as I said, it all comes down to training, not simply throwing tax dollars at it.
Appreciate 0