BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Any MY w/BPM > Any MY w/o

Forget this "2013 >" crap. First there is no documented hardware change after the bearing shells in 2008. That would imply if there is any difference it's in the software, namely 240E versus older versions. That I will buy.

But I will tell you what's better...

Yes, if it makes me a fanboy of BPM so be it.

I went driving today and the improvements, ranging from simple drivability to smoother acceleration and nice shifts, are quite evident. Arguably some of it is due to the 55 F weather. Hell, I'll even say some of it is because I have 2013 Navigation maps and a Nürburgring sticker. But that doesn't explain all of it.

Anyway I really just wanted to pass on, one more time, my happiness with Mike and his product. During the drive I kept thinking about what I would write. Until I sat down now it was simply...

OMG.
      12-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
lookitsma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Melbourne Red

After reading all these reviews, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and grab a tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Glad you're enjoying it Stephan!

Hope you have a happy and prosperous 2013!!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

You mentioned improved shifting. Is refined DCT programming included as part of the tuning package? As far as drivebility goes I couldn't imagine the engine/fueling any better than the OEM package but the transmission does leave some (slight) room for impovement...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Mike tuned me on Saturday and with an all stock E90, there is no question that the car drives smoother and faster than before. Thumbs up!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
You mentioned improved shifting. Is refined DCT programming included as part of the tuning package? As far as drivebility goes I couldn't imagine the engine/fueling any better than the OEM package but the transmission does leave some (slight) room for impovement...
Mike can answer better but...

The DCT has its own controller unit. Mike can access it but not via OBD and the remote-capable method like he can the ECU. He needs to connect to it directly meaning you and your car have to meet him, somewhere. I don't know what improvements he can make/has made with respect to DCT operation but I'm becoming interested. So the answer is "No, the tune does not include DCT programming" but there is a caveat...

The ECU still controls the engine during the shift. Whether there is any communication, feedback, etc. between the ECU and the DCT control unit I don't know (I'm sure Mike does) but the ECU does do torque management during the shift by interrupting fuel/spark/pixie dust injection. How much is determined at a basic level by which Drivelogic mode you are in, i.e. 1 - 6. I suspect that DSC and other factors enter as secondary drivers. If there is two-way, or at least one-way communication between the ECU and DCT then it could be very interesting. I have some BMW documentation, if i get a chance later I will look, assuming Mike hasn't jumped in and schooled me.

I went driving again today while everyone was sleeping it off or watching the Rose Parade and, well...

OMG.

I can now easily get some real rear differential locking action in Drivelogic 5 with the Euro MDM. Before the US-spec MDM nanny pretty much wouldn't allow it. When I next pick up some Wheaties at the store I'll try Drivelogic 6 and DSC off. Stock I could get a really good sideways kick in the 1-2 shift with a little bit of steering input. Now...? Wheaties first.
      01-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Mike can answer better but...

The DCT has its own controller unit. Mike can access it but not via OBD and the remote-capable method like he can the ECU. He needs to connect to it directly meaning you and your car have to meet him, somewhere. I don't know what improvements he can make/has made with respect to DCT operation but I'm becoming interested. So the answer is "No, the tune does not include DCT programming" but there is a caveat...

The ECU still controls the engine during the shift. Whether there is any communication, feedback, etc. between the ECU and the DCT control unit I don't know (I'm sure Mike does) but the ECU does do torque management during the shift by interrupting fuel/spark/pixie dust injection. How much is determined at a basic level by which Drivelogic mode you are in, i.e. 1 - 6. I suspect that DSC and other factors enter as secondary drivers. If there is two-way, or at least one-way communication between the ECU and DCT then it could be very interesting. I have some BMW documentation, if i get a chance later I will look, assuming Mike hasn't jumped in and schooled me.

I went driving again today while everyone was sleeping it off or watching the Rose Parade and, well...

OMG.

I can now easily get some real rear differential locking action in Drivelogic 5 with the Euro MDM. Before the US-spec MDM nanny pretty much wouldn't allow it. When I next pick up some Wheaties at the store I'll try Drivelogic 6 and DSC off. Stock I could get a really good sideways kick in the 1-2 shift with a little bit of steering input. Now...? Wheaties first.
Looks like you can't have enough of your car with the BPM Sport tune. I am the same, and I think I can notice a change in my exhaust note, definitely louder. I have the /// Performance exhaust. I've also installed the BMC air filter in the last couple of days, and it's a lot noisier inside the car. I don't know whether the radiator cooling fans are working over time. We've had a heatwave in Perth, Western Australia and the temperature was 41 Celsius .... very very hot.
I am seriously considering test pipes and Stage II ....
      01-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Looks like you can't have enough of your car with the BPM Sport tune.
I fear it may lead to my first ticket in the M3.
      01-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
I fear it may lead to my first ticket in the M3.
Same here. I have been putting my foot down lately. I am addicted to the newly found response and the overall performance.

My economy hasn't suffered at all, and given that, I can't understand why the car couldn't come from the factory in this state. It's a million $$$ question. May be the Mighty Mike can answer that...
      01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
edwin_jo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ED ZCP

I took part of the BPM Sport group buy for the holidays. I received my cable yesterday, and later at night I hooked up with Mike so he could do the tuning. It took less than half an hour to do the whole process.

Now onto the tune, what a difference this tune makes. My car was updated back in June 2012 by a dealer, and according to Mike I was updated to the latest software back then. Well, back to Mike Benvo's tune, it is like driving a completely different car, the smoothness, the driveability, and the pulling power in every gear is dramatically improved, the car is much more enjoyable now. I highly recommend this tune, I could not be any happier.

If you guys are in the fence whether to get Mike's tune, don't think twice, just go ahead and do it, you will not be disappointed.

The customer service that Mike provides is second to none. Mike, if you are reading this message, thanks again for a wonderful product.

Next mod, coding perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
UCBPhD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jerez Black E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin_jo View Post
Next mod, coding perhaps?
A quick question for all: what is the difference between a "tune" and "coding"?

Also, I am wondering if Mike is willing to explain a bit about how he came up with his modified software parameters. I would think this would be really difficult, for several reasons:

1) Lots of parameters,

2) lack of documentation WRT how the parameters effect the behavior of the car, and

3) possibility in entering parts of the parameter space that could destroy a car.

Apparently, at least one of these is incorrect . . .

Any comment, Mike?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBPhD View Post
A quick question for all: what is the difference between a "tune" and "coding"?

Also, I am wondering if Mike is willing to explain a bit about how he came up with his modified software parameters. I would think this would be really difficult, for several reasons:

1) Lots of parameters,

2) lack of documentation WRT how the parameters effect the behavior of the car, and

3) possibility in entering parts of the parameter space that could destroy a car.

Apparently, at least one of these is incorrect . . .

Any comment, Mike?
Coding: Changing/Modifying features in the car in their respective modules. Things like angel eye brightness, DVD in motion, convenience features, retrofits, etc fall under this category.

Tuning: Modifying the operating system and or mapping that the DME uses to run the engine.

I have all of the factory data files from Germany, plus documentation from Siemens and a few companies they hired to write the MSS60 Engine management software. So I know all of the functions, all of the maps, what they do, how they work, and how they can be improved.

Someone that doesn't know what they are doing could easily 'brick' an ECU. Usually something changed wrong will cause "limp mode" (engine malfunction, reduced power). But luckily you have me.

Hope this helps

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
UCBPhD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jerez Black E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Hope this helps
Absolutely, it does. In particular, it seems that assumption 2 is definitely false.

I can already envision myself doing both a tune and a code . . .

Thanks.
Appreciate 0