BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Review: BPM Tune / ACM pipes / MS Pulleys - Tornado Watch

Just a simple review about how I feel and my experience with some vendors here on the forum.

I will do the plugs first: Thank you Mike at BPM for being accommodating and fun to talk to, Sal at AUTOcouture Motoring for ease of transaction and quick shipment of parts!

The reason I did the modding is because I like my car to be a little different (unique to me) and a little more power makes things more fun, especially on the track! I completed the modifications over a period of time and as budget allowed:

1) Air Filter - I started with the air filter which opened up the engine (did not feel any power, just better sound). I also like this modifcation because I can just wash the air filter as I please rather than buying from stealerships.

2) BPM Tune - About a year later, I wanted something more and I noticed the BPM group buy. I bought the stage II tune knowing that I would be upgrading in the future. The first go around with installing the stage I tune went very well other than me using a pre-historic computer. However, the process worked out just fine and my car was woken up! The throttle response and increase in power was noticable. I wouldn't say it was mind-blowing power, but the overall driveabitliy was improved and I was very satisfied. Thank you Mike.

3) MS Pulleys - I had the tune for about a month and the mod bug was hitting me so hard that I couldn't pass up a deal to buy some MS Pulleys from a forum member here. Transaction was smooth and everything was shipped as agreed upon. I installed the pulleys myself, on my driveway, took about 2 hours since I had to get a T45 torx that I didn't have. Again, another increase in power that was noticeable.

4) ACM Test Pipes / BPM Tune - Well at this point, it was only right to finish off the NA moddifications with a set of Test Pipes and the rest of my Tune from BPM. This was the awesome part!!! I recieved my pipes from Sal at ACM (choose them because a lot of people have liked their product with no problems during install and the price was right). I installed them with a friend at his shop. The install was cake with no problems what-so-ever. It took about 1 hour to complete it. Thank you Sal!
I then decided that I would call Mike with not much warning to see if he could update my car to Stage II. He was working with another customer so I called back in about 30 minutes when he was available. (perfect timing because Jimmy Johns was on its way and I was hungry!) The tuning process again was flawless and done in about 15 minutes. Thank you Mike!

Unfortunately due to tornados and rain, I wasn't able to hoon my car last night, rather max speed was 30 mph and avoiding flooded areas (Midwest has been getting pounded lately).

The good news is that the roads were dry this morning so I left for work a little earlier than normal and had me some fun. Let's just say I haven't had a smile on my face this big in a very long time. The test pipes / Stage II tune paired together do make a huge noticable difference and the car feels amazing. With the added in the benefit of a much better sound coming from the exhaust, I would highly recommend. The car pulls hard from all gears, the torque is definitely increased, just an all around better car that I can't wait to see how it does out on the track!!

SO! With all that said, I didn't have a single bad experience with the vendors I worked with or the forum members I bought parts from. It was a great experience and I would recommend everything above to anyone that took the time to read this. Again, thanks to all parties involved, you sure made one happy customer that would buy from you again!

Cheers y'all!

Last edited by happos2; 04-19-2013 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Lalit@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Nice review. I'm assuming you replaced your primary cats with test pipes on the OEM midpipe and left the secondary pipes alone. If this is correct, how is the sound compared to stock? Raspy? Louder? More Deep, More high pitched?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Correct. I replaced the primary cats and left the rest of the exhaust alone. The car looks 100% stock from the outside and I wanted to leave the secondary cats to cut down some smell and keep rasp to a minimum level. Plus they are only 200 CELL so pertty much already high-flow cats so not to much benefit of removing them.

The sound below 3,000 rpm hasn't really changed. Above that rpm and under hard throttle, the note of the exhaust is more intense and louder. From inside windows closed, it isn't too much louder (when accelerating) but if you have your windows down, you can tell it is louder from the outside (if that makes sense). However, it isn't like a lot of aftermarket exhausts that are very loud especially when paired to test pipes. It still have the OEM pitch to it, so not quite F1 sounding nor Nascar sounding.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
sounds great! enjoy the new found power
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Thanks for sharing! I am on my way to the exact same mods...I put in an air filter and test pipes recently. Next step is BPM tune and pulleys, can't wait to be where you're currently at .
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Correct. I replaced the primary cats and left the rest of the exhaust alone. The car looks 100% stock from the outside and I wanted to leave the secondary cats to cut down some smell and keep rasp to a minimum level. Plus they are only 200 CELL so pertty much already high-flow cats so not to much benefit of removing them.

The sound below 3,000 rpm hasn't really changed. Above that rpm and under hard throttle, the note of the exhaust is more intense and louder. From inside windows closed, it isn't too much louder (when accelerating) but if you have your windows down, you can tell it is louder from the outside (if that makes sense). However, it isn't like a lot of aftermarket exhausts that are very loud especially when paired to test pipes. It still have the OEM pitch to it, so not quite F1 sounding nor Nascar sounding.
Thanks for sharing. Any raspiness to the exhaust tone above 3k?
I had a catless Dinan Midpipe with OEM muffler before. The exhaust note changed completely from stock. It was more o a 1000cc bike sound that anything. Under light throttle, this pitch would continue all the way to redline. Under WOT from 2-3,500 it would still be the same, however after that it would go into a raspy, snarly tone. Similar to a Ferrari 430 with a race exhaust. It was a great tone if you wanted to get noticed, but 50% throttle and up acceleration, even to 4 - 5K in town would turn heads - something I didn't want. A local guy is working on putting in test pipes to replace the primaries, I can't wait to listen to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

I wouldn't say there is much rasp. the 2 resonators and secondary cats do a good job. Definitely listen to it in person, videos only give you an idea, but they aren't the greatest. I don't have good video equipment so it isn't worth me trying to get a sound clip for ya.

The exhaust is loud enough stock I feel that if you floor it in town, people look. Test pipes will add to that, but it isn't going to be anything like an Innotch or GT2, etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
I wouldn't say there is much rasp. the 2 resonators and secondary cats do a good job. Definitely listen to it in person, videos only give you an idea, but they aren't the greatest. I don't have good video equipment so it isn't worth me trying to get a sound clip for ya.

The exhaust is loud enough stock I feel that if you floor it in town, people look. Test pipes will add to that, but it isn't going to be anything like an Innotch or GT2, etc...
I can be wrong...but don't you have done the Oem. exhaust mod.(replaced the 2 big perforated pipes) in a previous post ???
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

I never followed through. I definitely debated it but some videos I have listened to and some peoples wording said it has quite a bit of rasp which I am not a big fan of. Even if you left the primarys alone and gutted the 2ndaries, you will get rasp with the OEM exhaust mod (either version).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Good stuff happos, I'm with you! StgII Tune and Test Pipes really make the car feel complete! Gives it that extra mid range zip where you don't feel like you have to be hitting 8K rpm to be feeling some quickness
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3

Thanks for the review, I'm looking at doing the same mods soon. I was thinking of going with TTS and a Turner Tune.... But now, thanks to your review I'm looking at a BPM tune and I would of like being able to review the AUTOcouture Motoring website and check out their Test Pipes, but it seems their website is "under construction" for two months!!!! I don't know if I can wait that long.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

If you leave the remainder of the exhaust system stock (muffler, secondary cats, and resonators), the test pipes don't really make a huge difference in sound, IMO. I can only really hear a difference when I floor it with the windows open.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Outstanding review!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogeM3 View Post
Thanks for the review, I'm looking at doing the same mods soon. I was thinking of going with TTS and a Turner Tune.... But now, thanks to your review I'm looking at a BPM tune and I would of like being able to review the AUTOcouture Motoring website and check out their Test Pipes, but it seems their website is "under construction" for two months!!!! I don't know if I can wait that long.

Thanks!
Their site has been under construction forever, just buy some from Turner or Macht Schnell (although I avoid MS products).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Their site has been under construction forever, just buy some from Turner or Macht Schnell (although I avoid MS products).
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=767475&page=7

PM Sal. Problem solved. Great price and the clamps are good quality.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Glad that you're enjoying the tune!
Appreciate 0