BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #177
ToddMcF2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Most people complain about the complexity.
Even in your initial post, you appear to be eluding to this fact.
I don't mind it in principle I suppose. The car is clearly going GT and they need the feature set to offer a harder edge to those who want it. I worry its going to cause headaches down the road and I won't want to own the car out of warranty. The M5 owners seems to universally agree that you don't want the car out of warranty. But no reason to be alarmist - we will see how reliable the car is pretty soon.

I wonder what happens if you disconnect the battery? Do you have to reset all the "M" button presets?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #178
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I wonder what happens if you disconnect the battery? Do you have to reset all the "M" button presets?
Possibly, maybe likely.
Nonetheless, is that a monsterous endeavour? Do you complain about having to reprogram your radio stations?
      08-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #179
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Stahlgrau, I am so sorry, what was I thinking?....A beemer has that nice shiny roundel that polishes up so pretty, why would I have any concerns, well, maybe just one, making sure I'm seen by the important people in my dreamy beemer and making sure I bash those losers who don't sing the high praises my baby deserves. Beemers rule and don't you forget it! Everyone else is simply a cry baby wanna be me in my beemer.

a beemer is a motorcycle.
a bimmer is an automobile.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #180
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I don't mind it in principle I suppose. The car is clearly going GT and they need the feature set to offer a harder edge to those who want it. I worry its going to cause headaches down the road and I won't want to own the car out of warranty. The M5 owners seems to universally agree that you don't want the car out of warranty. But no reason to be alarmist - we will see how reliable the car is pretty soon.

I really think the sentiment "it has MDrive and EDC so it will cost me a fortune to fix" is overdone although it makes a certain degree of sense. For an explanation, see my post, #168, on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #181
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Why would it make it more laborious? Push one button to your right which says "DSC OFF", or programme the M Drive button on the steering wheel to make it exactly how you like it.
Can MDrive be programmed to turn DSC off? I had figured it would allow you to program MDM mode, but not DSC off.

Quote:
This M Drive is really not that complicated.
True, but something need not be complex to be laborious.

The point is that if I am happy with performance of the non-adjustable shocks in every driving situation (and I bet I will be), then why spend extra for adjustable ones? If I have adjustable shocks then I will end up using the softer settings (or not, in which case I've wasted my money) which will ony end up forcing me to predict ahead of time when I will want (or need) the sport setting.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #182
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Can MDrive be programmed to turn DSC off? I had figured it would allow you to program MDM mode, but not DSC off.
I would be amazed if it didn't allow you the option to turn it off on the M Drive.

However, M Drive is irrelevent. If you want DSC OFF then just push the DSC button by the gear lever.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #183
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Here is a picture of the page on the iDrive where you configure the M Drive button:

First line EDC
Options available are COMFORT, NORMAL and SPORT

Second line DSC
Probable options will be ON, OFF and MDM (M dynamic mode).

Third line POWER
Probable options will be NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT PLUS.

Fourth line Servotronic
Probable options will be NORMAL and SPORT.

By the look of the arrow pointing down, there is something else which is changeable, but I can't think what this would be.

As this is a manual car it cannot be anything to do with the gearbox, but with M DCT equipped cars next year, and if it's anything like the M5/M6 with SMG, there will be a shift speed setting which will be configurable as part of the M Drive too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #184
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would be amazed if it didn't allow you the option to turn it off on the M Drive.

However, M Drive is irrelevent. If you want DSC OFF then just push the DSC button by the gear lever.
Aha, but if MDrive allows DSC to be set to off, then one can set both "Sport" throttle mode and DSC off via one button. I could accomplish with one button press what now takes two on my E46. Eureka - a reason for MDrive!

BTW, thanks for posting the pic.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #185
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Aha, but if MDrive allows DSC to be set to off, then one can set both "Sport" throttle mode and DSC off via one button. I could accomplish with one button press what now takes two on my E46. Eureka - a reason for MDrive!

BTW, thanks for posting the pic.
This is why I can't understand all this confusion and worry about technological gimmicks getting in the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #186
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

I am opposed to having bells and whistles that do things that are not particularly needed or relevant. Mofomat probably remembers our discussion on the soft-stop braking system, or whatever it's called.

However, MDrive does address a very relevant set of needs, so I wouldn't call it a gimmick or bell. More importantly, MDrive does not actually add complexity of any sort to the experience. Clarkson is talking out of his ass to intentionally be dramatic in the video review when it comes to railing on it. MDrive simply allows the driver to manipulate the values of certain existing system parameters to his/her liking. It does NOT introduce new parameters, meaning those parameters will have assigned values with or without MDrive. And, who can argue that the parameters MDrive allows one to fine tune are irrelevant? Finally, once you decide what you want, it's over, so what is the problem and all this complexity talk?

The only issue I have with MDrive at this point is the interface, not its functionality, but that's another discussion.

Last edited by lucid; 08-28-2007 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #187
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is why I can't understand all this confusion and worry about technological gimmicks getting in the way.
I wasn't worried about them getting in the way so much as I was not wanting to have something else to manage. That, and not seeing any advantage. I've now found one, albeit not extraordinarily compelling.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #188
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is a picture of the page on the iDrive where you configure the M Drive button:

First line EDC
Options available are COMFORT, NORMAL and SPORT

Second line DSC
Probable options will be ON, OFF and MDM (M dynamic mode).

Third line POWER
Probable options will be NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT PLUS.

Fourth line Servotronic
Probable options will be NORMAL and SPORT.

By the look of the arrow pointing down, there is something else which is changeable, but I can't think what this would be.

As this is a manual car it cannot be anything to do with the gearbox, but with M DCT equipped cars next year, and if it's anything like the M5/M6 with SMG, there will be a shift speed setting which will be configurable as part of the M Drive too.
I am wondering why such a simple series of choices require the presence of the (ugly) navigation screen, and hence, the navigation option, which I have no need for. There is enough resolution on the dash display to make these set of choices--at least the MDrive selections. I guess they want to sell more navigation options, and/or they don't want to make the effort to reprogram the dash display...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #189
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Searched the forum and found that pics SteveD was so kind to make on his July Test Drive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
Overall M Settings Menu:

EDC Sub-Menu:

DSC Sub-Menu:

Power Sub-Menu:

Servotronic Steering Sub-Menu:
Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #190
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

thanks south
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #191
M3_2010
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CiC

I don't want to tune my car.... They should set it up so we can enjoy the ride.... M drive is a gimick.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #192
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_2010 View Post
I don't want to tune my car.... They should set it up so we can enjoy the ride.... M drive is a gimick.
Well then don't choose it as an option. You don't have to choose EDC. You don't have to choose M Drive. You can refuse to touch the POWER button if you like.

What's wrong with having a choice?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #193
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well then don't choose it as an option. You don't have to choose EDC. You don't have to choose M Drive. You can refuse to touch the POWER button if you like.

What's wrong with having a choice?
+1. Exactly.

So, what is the problem? Plus, you save money when you don't order EDC or MDrive. Amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #194
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Although I am in broad support of the MDrive button, I have one other issue MDrive other than the interface. Since it is not providing new system parameters, why doesn't BMW simply give us the extra Throttle Response and DSC settings on stock cars. One should be able to get to those simply by pressing the Power and/or DSC button twice or something. I find it amazing that I need to purchase the MDrive option (+Navigation). It's like unlocking a secret level in a computer game you already paid for or something. The kind of marketing strategy that drives me crazy...Am I missing something here? Is there any new hardware associated with those 2 extra settings? (I really don't think so, but I wanted to make sure.)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #195
kishg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 540i/6

I don't think M-drive and EDC are going to be huge reliability concerns, the fear of them failing is over-hyped IMO. Also, at least for me, the feature set they provide greatly override the potential risk of failure. I wouldn't order an M3 without either. Also, the complexity of using them is not significant. If you can use a cellphone, or a laptop or any modern appliance, you can use M-Drive. Yes, BMW is trying to force our hand to buy the nav unit but realistically, would you buy a new bmw without built-in nav these days?
BMWCCA #360858 SCCA# 374179 NASA # 128290
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #196
ToddMcF2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Possibly, maybe likely.
Nonetheless, is that a monsterous endeavour? Do you complain about having to reprogram your radio stations?
Its annoying. Have you owned the e46 M3? I had to "reboot" the car more than a few times to try to clear bogus ECU codes or mod or the car. Mine was a 6-Speed, but SMG owners sometimes resorted to the battery disconnect to "reboot" the SMG when it went funky. Its not the end of the world to redo the presets but add MDrive settings and whatever else and yeah, that will be annoying.

Of course, this is minor stuff, a minor gripe.

As Clarkson said - the M5 makes you want to "stab bill Gates in the heart". Ha ha that's hilarious! Lets just hope the M3 is an "axe murderer" like the M5 as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #197
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
why doesn't BMW simply give us the extra Throttle Response and DSC settings on stock cars. One should be able to get to those simply by pressing the Power and/or DSC button twice or something.
Maybe they will? To me it seems an unnecessary liability for BMW to not provide MDM DSC mode in a non MDrive car. Isn't the purpose of MDM mode to allow a little freedom to play with a safety net still in place?

There might end up being undocumented procedures to access "Sport Plus" throttle mapping and MDM DSC mode. And if not, there will surely be an aftermarket solution that opens them up, and probably also one that sets them automatically at start up too.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #198
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe they will? To me it seems an unnecessary liability for BMW to not provide MDM DSC mode in a non MDrive car. Isn't the purpose of MDM mode to allow a little freedom to play with a safety net still in place?
Press release suggests otherwise, but I guess we'll have to see.

Quote:
There might end up being undocumented procedures to access "Sport Plus" throttle mapping and MDM DSC mode. And if not, there will surely be an aftermarket solution that opens them up, and probably also one that sets them automatically at start up too.
These are both good points. I hope one of them will be a workable solution.

Navigation, apart making the dash even uglier, would not serve any purpose for me in Boston, where there is a difference between what the computer thinks is the fastest route, and what I know to be the fastest route. It would be a shame to pay for it, and not to use it.
Appreciate 0