BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Clicking sounds

So recently I have noticed that my M3 makes a clicking sound when accelerating. It's 2-3 clicks and I only hear it when accelerating from a stop. The car has also makes creaking noises when I go over bumps and potholes or when I brake really hard. The creaking noise happens when the car comes to a complete stop where it kind of pushes you back, not while stopping so it shouldn't be the brakes. Could this be a suspension problem? The car doesn't make any of these sounds when turning. I'm running stock everything and have EDC if that relates to anything and the creaks sound like their coming from the front of the car while the clicks come from the back.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Ironbutt17
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post
So recently I have noticed that my M3 makes a clicking sound when accelerating. It's 2-3 clicks and I only hear it when accelerating from a stop. The car has also makes creaking noises when I go over bumps and potholes or when I brake really hard. The creaking noise happens when the car comes to a complete stop where it kind of pushes you back, not while stopping so it shouldn't be the brakes. Could this be a suspension problem? The car doesn't make any of these sounds when turning. I'm running stock everything and have EDC if that relates to anything and the creaks sound like their coming from the front of the car while the clicks come from the back.
Mine does this too...ever find out what the cause is? It's driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbutt17 View Post
Mine does this too...ever find out what the cause is? It's driving me nuts.
This was a while ago but I believe that it was a rock stuck between the oil pan and headers. The clicking and creaking sounds were from the chassis flexing with the rock stuck. I'll try to find my paperwork when I get home from work.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Ironbutt17
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post
This was a while ago but I believe that it was a rock stuck between the oil pan and headers. The clicking and creaking sounds were from the chassis flexing with the rock stuck. I'll try to find my paperwork when I get home from work.

Hope this helps.
Thanks...I'd like to think my issue is something simple like this. Hardest part is getting under the car to fish it out, I suppose. Almost impossible to isolate it though...other than directly below my feet.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

I had a clicking sound when driving away from a stop and when switching from reverse/forward.

I just romped on the car and did a nasty burnout and that seemed to fix it.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
I had a clicking sound when driving away from a stop and when switching from reverse/forward.

I just romped on the car and did a nasty burnout and that seemed to fix it.
Most likely dislodged the rock
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbutt17 View Post
Thanks...I'd like to think my issue is something simple like this. Hardest part is getting under the car to fish it out, I suppose. Almost impossible to isolate it though...other than directly below my feet.
Sorry for the crumpled mess (it was stuffed in my glove compartment) I was wrong, turns out it was between the belly pan and oil pan. I outlined what the tech found. Hope this helps. Hopefully this prevents you from going to multiple shops like I did. I remember having to take it to 3 different shops before it was figured out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Damn rocks!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Had one get stuck in between the rear rotor and the dust shield..so annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
Jremmy
Medic
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolkster
Had one get stuck in between the rear rotor and the dust shield..so annoying.
This same thing happened to me this week and my car has less than a 1000 miles on it. Started freaking out bc it literally sounds like a bike wheel w a broken spoke! Some rapid acceleration seems to work quite nicely in dislodging any and all rocks though...lol
Appreciate 0