BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 S2K, e92, 5.0

S2000?

I currently have an e92 lemans blue 328i with 6MT. I really like the car...comfortable, smooth and efficient. But previously I have owned a Subi STi and a Convertible Shelby GT500 (beast). While the 328i is great and is a good all-arounder, I really miss having the peppiness and "thrill" of purer performance cars.

Long story short, I've been looking at s2000's and just one popped up today with very decent pricing. I am just getting a sanity check here. I am single, am a road biker so I will probably need to get a bike rack since S2K is a 2 seater.

Does anyone here have experience with an S2K? Everywhere I have read ppl all rave about what a machine it is. I miss the thrill of the sti, the GT500 was plain way too much power for my own good (or anyone really)... but I enjoyed the convertible ...so I think s2k fits the bill. Comments? I would love for positive and constructively negative comments. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
apc3libras
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.00]
In b4 Kolyan2k.
      07-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Is it the first gen S2K with 2.0L engine or the later one with 2.2L?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusiast View Post
In b4 Kolyan2k.
hahaha i almost died

why not do some mods to the 328i to make it more raw?
firmer suspension, nice exhaust, an intake for sound, sticky tires

just be careful with an s2000, they're strong rape targets in the world of used automobiles
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
c1d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I don't know where to start as I've owned two different S2000s but once upon a time I was driving a beater regular cab pickup truck but I wanted something with a little more interior space. I was in the market for a Civic but just for fun I was going to test drive an S2000. I was never a convertible fan and before I got in I had assumed it was going to be too cramped, have too small of a trunk, ride too rough, be too noisy, and be too peaky. I'm about 5'7" and it was snug but it wasn't as tight as an older Miata or an Elise. I looked in the trunk and it was big enough for me, but carrying things like 27" CRT monitors and loads of laundry can be a challenge. I always kept the suspension stock and it rode better than an lowered Civic and it's so much fun to take turns without hitting the brakes. My car had the 2.2 so if I shifted before 4k it was not too noisy and revving between 4-6k produced plenty of cool sounds without entering VTEC which was faster than I would really want to travel most of the time. When I first had the car I would be in the slow lane and allow a gap to the car in front of me then I would rev my car to close the gap just for fun. Keep the revs down and it feels like a normal car, rev it harder and it'll keep up with most cars. With the soft top it's noisy so the stock radio can't keep up and you'll need a headset to hear your phone, or just don't use the phone while driving. I got the expensive hardtop which helped a little with the noise but long term both tops will rattle at the latches but some cheap tubing insulation should fix that. It's hard to see out the back with the softtop but the hardtop is a bit easier. A couple things that annoyed me is that the car is small enough that traffic light sensors don't always see you and with the top up the top of windshield frame is right in your sightline so sometimes you have to crouch down to see traffic lights. Depending on where you live you could lose stuff like antennas, center caps, side markers, exhaust tips. One possible problem is that someone could steal the seats which drop directly into any Civic. So if someone were to slash your top and steal your seats you insurance company might total your car cause the seats are so expensive, but then some people use the insurance proceeds to get cheaper aftermarket seats. Maintenance is obviously a lot cheaper than a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #6
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6 speed

what do you mean by this? I do not like them...They still get my attention driving by, but my neighbor has one and I went for a ride in it, way too small inside, and just the thought of driving a honda makes me feel like part of a group of ricers who puts those wierd stickers on with a hand orienting the fingers somehow.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
QBall28
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I

I have an 02 S2000 AP1 and 07 335i Sedan

S2000 is like that slutty girl from high school. She's a cheap date, full of thrills but you can't introduce her to your mother. It's great in the summer with the top down, cockpit gives you that intimate feeling of a real performance machine.

There is more space in a canoe for your stuff, the ride is harsh, terrible in traffic. And the worst part is it makes tons of noise but doesn't go anywhere! I hope your passenger is skinny, weight + no torque = slow

But for around $10k it's a reasonable little sports car with a good tuner following. In my opinion, it's good for one season then you get tired of it. Who wants to buy mine?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

What do u want to know? First you have to chose AP1 or AP2. I picked AP2, 2006+ have most bugs worked out and all the "goodies". I haven't driven AP1 and many people prefer that car due to more raw feel and 9k rpm. For daily driving 2006+ is the ideal choice. S2000 rides better then my previous e92 with run flat tires. Traffic doesn't bother me and I don't really see much of it anyway.

Car is noisy and I love it, plenty of space for me.....I took it to 3-4 day ski trip with all gear, boots, skies, and food for 5 people and still had room in trunk (removing spare gives u that extra space u need sometimes)

Its also good in snow with winter tires. As far as acceleration.. ...with driver and no AC running its pretty fast, but turn AC on or add extra 200lbs to passenger seat and it becomes much slower....but I don't usually use AC and I never have passengers other then my skinny wife

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 07-24-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the insight gentlemen, first hand experience is exactly what I'm looking for vs bimmers. It would be an '07 with less than 70k miles on it, with a good price. I'm curious on how the price is lower than normal if there are some stories behind the car or simply just "priced to sell."

Verbatim, I totally get what you mean. As much as I love the 328 for what it is, it lacks the excitement that I am looking for, and maybe, just MAYBE that comfort is what ultimately will keep me with the bimmer. 328 is not like a 335 so I think with performance mods it wouldn't be ideal ...haha

Qball thanks for your practical input, including the slutty girl lol. Almost all good handling cars have a harsh ride, including the STi I had. The mustang was plush, but that thing couldn't turn for anything...but I guess it's that "slutty girl" that the bad in me is looking for ...lol however I'm sure compared to 328 the s2k will "feel" faster...you hve a twin turbo it's a different story!

c1d thanks for your input as well. Your experience confirms a lot of things I've read around the web...seats getting stolen and car becomes a target of kids etc...I'd like to believe my 'hood is alright, I live in gated apartment community with quite a few nice cars around here but then again, anything could happen to anyone.

If I do get it, I will keep it mostly stock. I commute about 50 mi a day so I'd spend quite a bit of time in it. Traffic isn't best but I think well within acceptable range (vs Shelby's 13mpg)

I am going to test drive it today... there's a good chance I might fall in love with it! However the comfort and luxury features in the bimmer (nothing replaces a bimmer's ride!) might make it somewhat of a tough choice/ indecisive. Feel free to chime in more...I know there are more folks here have ragged s2k's before!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
s0nu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 428i AW/CR

I have four friends that had their convertible top ripped open and seats stolen. All 4 cars were totalled.
[Jet Black 2009 328xi E90]
[BSM 2004 330CI E46 6MT ZHP]
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I too didnt find my 335i exciting enough. It sure was a nice car and grabbed peoples attention even more then S2k (fully loaded e92 with real nice color combo). Step up from S2k would be Cayman S or 2007+ Boxster S but thats a bit more expensive and less reliable. I wanted something reliable and cheap to fix. Next car hopefully will be Cayman S.

Surprisingly many older people are S2k fans as well and picking one up from them is safe. I got mine with 30k miles from 65 year old couple who babied their car like crazy.

Trunk space might be an issue since its obviously not 3-series, but hey....i am carrying an 8ft box to fedex today
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I had an S2000 for 5 years. It was a spa yellow 01 nicely modded. Took more than a year to get one back in the day. It's a great car for what it is, but I would never do another one with the 4cyl drivetrain. I was hoping for a 6cyl in that car and it would have been great.
Attached Images

07-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
monza2t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, R52 Mini, F25 X3 x35

For the same price as a used S2k, you can pick up (the current red headed stepchild of Porsche's lineup)... Boxster. After driving the Cayman, S2k, and Boxster, the Cayman is the superior car, but seeing how those are $10k+ more than a Boxster or S2k, the nod for me goes to Boxster. Its a solid ride. S2K can eat it up on the track, but for real world driving in town, the Boxster is freindlier and still provides a lot of performance for the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza2t View Post
For the same price as a used S2k, you can pick up (the current red headed stepchild of Porsche's lineup)... Boxster. After driving the Cayman, S2k, and Boxster, the Cayman is the superior car, but seeing how those are $10k+ more than a Boxster or S2k, the nod for me goes to Boxster. Its a solid ride. S2K can eat it up on the track, but for real world driving in town, the Boxster is freindlier and still provides a lot of performance for the money.
Thanks, I'm sure it's a great ride. Boxster might cost and arm/leg to keep it running though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I had an S2000 for 5 years. It was a spa yellow 01 nicely modded. Took more than a year to get one back in the day. It's a great car for what it is, but I would never do another one with the 4cyl drivetrain. I was hoping for a 6cyl in that car and it would have been great.
Nice car. they are still scarce these days as well, I don't think the good ones last more than a week on lots now.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

buy 335i?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
E90csl
Instagram @alfred_425
Rep
Drives: White E90

get a s2k they are much fun when u boost them
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
rkan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe' -Black Sapphire

I owned a 2006 for 3 years as my second car. My thoughts:
I got out of it because it felt like I was driving a fighter jet all the time. Thats great when you want to "dogfight", but the rest of the time it was too raw, and it just got tiring. At times I did love the rush of flooring it and taking it near redline for shifts. That is the closest I have been to a "race car feeling" in an automobile.
I thought I would be a convertable fan, but the actual # of days that it was not too cold or too blazin hot was small. Those few temperate days were magic though.
My geographic problem was that there were not enough fun twisty roads close to me, so I could not use the car properly. That, and having to rev the crap out of it to keep up with modern minivans from a stop light made me feel a little silly.

The shifter. Gods own hand must have been involved in the developement of this. It is just the right weight, precise and my definition of a perfect man machine interface. Really, I cant stress this enough. Really. REALLY. Hyperbole you say? Then you have not driven one.
Summary:
Con's- Too raw for everyday driving. Not enough power to compete with modern day sports cars (or minivans!). Tight interior. Soft top mechanism WILL wear a hole in your top (check out the s2k forums). Convertable tonneau is 1 piece, cant be stored in vehicle, hard to put on correctly, and is a pointless piece of crap. Enthusiast crowd trends younger and "ricer" style is part of that. Trunk is small (duh.)
Pro's - Very raw, jet fighter drive, great for corner carving. Top down on great day can not be matched. Fun to redline and tear around a bit.
BEST........SHIFTER.......EVER.

Sorry for the rambling, stream of consciousness thing going on.
      07-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasensei View Post
Nice car. they are still scarce these days as well, I don't think the good ones last more than a week on lots now.
And then this is what happens to the nice ones when the new owner takes it the track durring the first week of ownership.
Attached Images

07-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

My biggest automotive regret was selling mine! (Sold it reduce the out of pocket on my wife's new X5 last year - dummy!) I think they're fantastic cars. Easy to work on, plenty of mods available and absolutely bulletproof. In almost 6 years with multiple track days my 2005 never saw the dealer for a single issue.

Depending on where you live, I do think it helps to be single and young for it to be your daily drive. The fun factor drops about 50% if you have to have the top up all the time. An awesome second car - when I had both it and my E90, I drove it way more.

Also - simple bolt-keyed seat locks keep the seats where they belong. I never had any problems.
Attached Images

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #21
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List

Hitlers s2000
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

i had an 05 s2k. it is til this day the most fun car i have ever owned (out of 10). it's not the fastest. nor the quickest. nor the "best handling". definitely not the most comfortable. stock headunit looks like one from a 90's accord. border-line terrifying to drive in serious rain weather.... but it was just the most fun car to drive and beat on in the mountains and then cruise down the coast at night with the top down. that gearbox is about as perfect as it can get imo. it doesnt feel like you're rowing nor does it feel like a light switch (i hate super short shifters)... it has just the right amount of motion.

that being said, i wouldnt buy another one unless it was my "3rd car".

p.s. - AP2 > AP1. i hate how the AP1 front bumper looks like a 92 civic. LOL

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0