BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #507
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #508
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Even though Honda has already secured the 2013 WTCC constructors' title in the American round of the series earlier this month, I must say I'm a bit disappointed with Honda because I was expecting they could regain the title from the AMG baby-twins for the highest specific power output of any 4-cylinder production petrol engine, as this was Honda's hallmark. Instead, the new Honda Civic Type-R will be equipped with a 280hp, turbocharged 2.0 litre engine capable of 7000 rpm:

Meanwhile, the Peugeot 308 R concept, which is to me one of the stars of this year's Frankfurt Motor Show and one of the best accomplished Peugeot's designs in many, many years, besides the use of carbon-fiber panels in its body is equipped with an 1.6-liter turbocharged engine delivering 270hp, meaning a MUCH higher specific power output than the Civic Type R, with 330Nm (243lb ft) of torque from 1900 - 5500rpm for a fuel consumption rated at a claimed 6.3-litres/100km and CO2 emissions of 145g/km. This is a real GEM of an engine and car :

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #509
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Gotta say that I still prefer the non LE white to any of the other colors I've seen so far.

This thing is just beautiful...

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #510
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

While we are at race cars for the street... what about a street car for the race?!

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #511
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Volkswagen Confirms Development of Twin-Turbo Diesel Four-Cylinder [2013 Frankfurt Auto Show]

Quote:
The Volkswagen Group has long positioned its TDI offerings as fuel-efficient alternatives to conventional or even hybridized powertrains, but the company also has a reputation for churning out go-fast diesels, too—look no further than the Touareg V-10 TDI, the Euro-only Audi Q7 V-12 TDI, and the GTD. And the number of sporty compression-ignition models is set to grow. A high-ranking source at Volkswagen has confirmed to Car and Driver that the Wolfsburg-based automaker is developing a new twin-turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder diesel.

We understand that this engine will produce somewhere in the realm of 230 horsepower, as well as great bucketfuls of torque. Development is being undertaken with the brand’s MQB architecture in mind. We expect VW will use this mill in the Golf, where it likely will sit atop the all-but-confirmed-for-exportation-to-America GTD as an R-badged model, akin to the relationship between the GTI and the Golf R. Similarly, Audi could use this engine for an S3 TDI. (The four-ringed brand currently slots a twin-turbo V-6 into the SQ5 TDI performance crossover in Europe.)

Today, Volkswagen sells R-badged models exclusively with gasoline engines, but there is a precedent for a high-performance, oil-burning R: the now-defunct 350-hp Touareg R50, essentially a Touareg V-10 TDI on steroids.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #512
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

It's official Kimi Raikkonen will leave Lotus and make a return to Ferrari in 2014.

Despite the fact that I was right about Felipe Massa leaving the Scuderia in the end of this season I was completely wrong with my bet on Kamui Kobayashi for his substitute.

Since I made a BIG deal out of it with constant kinda of off-topic references to that possibility on the two threads where I've extensively posted, it's now fair to acknowledge that I completely lost the right to a credible opinion in this forum about car motorsport, in particular, and cars in general.

I still believe Montezemolo made a wrong move with his choice but my opinion is now rendered worthless. Also, I probably will be wrong about many other statements I've made here. I guess I'm just a dreamer... and since you don't have to put up with my personal dreams I will shut up as I can't possibly rave about a car such as the BMW X1 although I made a promess to Red Bread that I would in case I loose my bet... I'm sorry man, but it's beyond my strength to say good things about a car such as the X1. Put it this way... at least you don't have to read my posts here anymore so much for your happiness!

Thank you all for your patience mainly the moderators because probably you were under some pressure from some users to shut me up... as you see, you did the right thing because I'll shut myself up. Nothing worth sharing now...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #513
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

What happened to GoingTooFast?

I would have thought he had flipped his shit because the Alfa Romeo will start at $54,000 (in the USA)
      09-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #514
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Still a shame about our US version gaining 250 pounds, but they did get the price right.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #515
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Holy hallelujah and fuck Kobayashi! This twat has finally stopped talking!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #516
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
I know I'm alone in saying this, but dayum that CLA is so hot.

I don't know why but I'm so drawn toward this car, unlike most MBs.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #517
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Allow me this single exception as I never got the chance to say thank you to Advevo for being so inspirational... the same way I wish Kobayashi could drive for Ferrari F1, I wish this could be you driving an Alfa 4C, Advevo... this is my ode to you mate, BIG thanks :

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #518
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

^
I knew you couldn't just put down the Alfa 4C crack pipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #519
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Chris Harris Reviews!

2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #520
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
^
I knew you couldn't just put down the Alfa 4C crack pipe.
You are absolutely right... I have pre-ordered an Alfa 4C a couple of months back. Thus, I hope I'll be too busy driving my own soon. After all, I already have lost the right to express my opinion here and I surely will be faithful to that.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #521
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
You are absolutely right... I have pre-ordered an Alfa 4C a couple of months back. Thus, I hope I'll be too busy driving my own soon. After all, I already have lost the right to express my opinion here and I surely will be faithful to that.
what options are available for the car? I couldn't find an order guide or anything.
      09-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #522
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
what options are available for the car? I couldn't find an order guide or anything.
http://4c.alfaromeo.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #523
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread;14708679[B
]Still a shame about our US version gaining 250 pounds[/B], but they did get the price right.
From CarAndDrive

Quote:
Things you should know: Alfa trumpets a base curb weight of fewer than 2100 pounds, but U.S.-bound models will be about 2650, which factors in two side and two knee airbags, other mandated equipment, and a number of options that will likely be standard here, including air conditioning, power seats, and parking sensors.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #524
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Chris Harris Reviews!

Facts:
  1. Chris Harris has a close relationship with Porsche, as everybody knows
  2. Porsches use strut suspensions, both front and rear
  3. At the rear because the engine having horizontally opposed cylinder is necessarily wider and there's some powertrain package constrains
  4. At the front because Porsche opted to do so
  5. In the case of the Toyobaru which has a flat engine mounted at the front, struts are only used at the front because of the same powertrain package constrains, while double-wishbones are used at the rear
  6. As for the Alfa Romeo 4C, it's the other way around: double-wishbones at the front and struts at the rear

So, I ask you... what does Chris Harris mean by saying this at 1:41 min in the above vid:

Quote:
The chassis is a little unconventional, not at the front where you find double-wishbones you expected but at the rear which uses a strut design because the powertrain package is so tighten. You see, it seems strange to me to be someone comprising on the carbon tube and then not have the optimum suspension design on the car, so what?!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #525
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

If it's really more like 550 pounds heavier in the US, and presumably they used the lightest one possible to run the 8:04 N'Ring time, than the US version will be a dog, given that the ROW version isn't any faster than the 987.2 and six seconds off of the 981. Pity.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #526
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

^
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #527
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

I have another question for you and another genuine one as I really don't know... is there any cheaper car than the Alfa 4C that, in its stock form, is faster around the 'ring' than the Alfa's claimed 8:04 ?

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #528
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Is this a serious question? The C7 should be a good 40+ seconds faster for the same price, you could probably use just 3rd gear and still be faster. I'd guess a non-S Cayman with PASM would be close for the same money too.

But that's not apples to apples for US comparison. Let's assume that when you put Chris Farley and his luggage in one to get to the US weight, it's going to be more like an 8:20 time, and in that case, lots of things are faster, including the 1M Coupe at 8:15, which was cheaper. Let's not forget the supposed time of the STI of 7:55.

Last edited by Red Bread; 09-30-2013 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0