BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

01-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Is it really hard to tint the windows myself?

I always wanted to learn myself and wonder if this is a rocket science job or not? youtube about it and look easy but i know in real world its not that easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

There are a lot of tricks to getting the job done right. I wouldn't do it myself and I am DIY inclined. I'm sure its not that hard but its something worth getting done by a professional since its not that expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
You can always give it a shot and if it doesn't work out, just have it redone professionally. You'll definitely want to consider wet sanding some of the "dot matrix" off the windows so the tint adheres better.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I'm a serious DIY'er and this is something that's better left to the pros IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Not rocket science, but impossible to do right the first time, especially if you're anal, like myself . By the time you'd do it right, it's a lot cheaper to pay a professional man. I put towels everywhere to avoid water inside panels, scuffed seats, etc. And I always pay extra to have it done in my garage, where I watch like a hawk, and help the guy wipe all the water quickly from doors, floor, paint, etc. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
ddep
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 lci m3 sedan

tinting windows requires a whole new set of skills that are different from using tools and following directions. a lot has to do with experience and knowing the material and have delicate hands.

I have tried to do all of my windows. I'm happy with how my side windows turned out. there a few small bubbles (1mm to 2mm) here and there and they are not noticeable unless you stare at them. they weren't something that were visible until the tint was cured after about a couple of days so i couldn't fix them and it was clear it had to do with my skill

the the back window is a different story. i have ruined 3 sheets of tint and still can't get it perfect. the curvature is greater so you have to dry shrink it more than the side windows. proper anchoring is the key so you don't get excessive corners. i recommendation ordering a few extra pre-cut sheets so that you can keep on doing it until you get it right. because in my case every time i ruin a sheet and i feel like i have learned my mistake, but by the time i order an sheet and it arrives i have forgotten what i thought would've shrank it better.

anyways, in my experience, you won't be saving much for a subpar tint job. so unless you are interested in the experience i would pay an expert.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
skins333
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 BMW M3 MR/21 X7 40i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddep View Post
tinting windows requires a whole new set of skills that are different from using tools and following directions. a lot has to do with experience and knowing the material and have delicate hands.

I have tried to do all of my windows. I'm happy with how my side windows turned out. there a few small bubbles (1mm to 2mm) here and there and they are not noticeable unless you stare at them. they weren't something that were visible until the tint was cured after about a couple of days so i couldn't fix them and it was clear it had to do with my skill

the the back window is a different story. i have ruined 3 sheets of tint and still can't get it perfect. the curvature is greater so you have to dry shrink it more than the side windows. proper anchoring is the key so you don't get excessive corners. i recommendation ordering a few extra pre-cut sheets so that you can keep on doing it until you get it right. because in my case every time i ruin a sheet and i feel like i have learned my mistake, but by the time i order an sheet and it arrives i have forgotten what i thought would've shrank it better.

anyways, in my experience, you won't be saving much for a subpar tint job. so unless you are interested in the experience i would pay an expert.
I completely agree...back window is def not diy, side windows pretty easy. Back in the day I tinted side windows without any trouble after a little practice. You basically put tint on outside of window and trim it to size, then use ton of spray water on when positioning tint on inside of window so can move around. The squeegee out all the bubbles and you are done. Back windows I have no idea how to do. Difficult access and curves make it really hard esp in one big piece. Cutting strips and fixing together looks terrible, dot matrix is another challenge as well.
Appreciate 0