BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

06-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #67
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
A few words from a possible troll (Qship) and look at the amount of feedback you are giving him.

Anyone with half a brain would know that a 997tt will make mince meat of an M3, I posted once on his comments and then catch myself on, guys best do the same.

He's pulling your chain...........and getting the desired result.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #68
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Hook, line and sinker.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #69
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
A few words from a possible troll (Qship) and look at the amount of feedback you are giving him.

Anyone with half a brain would know that a 997tt will make mince meat of an M3, I posted once on his comments and then catch myself on, guys best do the same.

He's pulling your chain...........and getting the desired result.
Guys, he's right,

Qship's lack of knowledge of the technical data on the vehicles in question,

especially the M3.
proves he probably doesn't even own a M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #70
Flyingfart
Just as when I found my car, they changed it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90-330i

And Neither does Hans! but he talks like he does

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NTAL View Post
The M3 Coupe. This isn't a joke.

In the July 2008 issue, p. 56-68.

I'll scan images in asap.

Just wanted to post this as soon as I could.
What! :Bulge: Our very own M3 won again

where was Hans C63 in all this
      06-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #71
Qship2
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupé

OK. The C&D test claims that the Porsche is heavier by 150lbs, or did I read that incorrectly? My info on top speed of an unlimited M3 comes from a local BMW mechanic and driver trainer, I can only assume that the unlimited model he had must rev a little higher than what is generally available. His statement was that it did a full 330kmph. Sorry. This turns out to be an erroneous claim for any purposes of this conversation.

Apologies.

I also have never claimed that our cars are faster than the 997 TT under any or all conditions. I have limited my assertion to a specific situation that occurs over here fairly regularly. My claim is merely anecdotal for all practical purposes. I keep seeing stats and I do not doubt them or discount them. But I see no multi-gear stats for 180-250 (Southlight thanks! Now get out there and find a 997TT to back me up.) But in the end, I think ilhyn nailed it. It could just be that I outdrove a couple of guys. Still interesting, no? Especially given that C&D tested the M3 at 4.1 seconds and the test Southlight was showing for the 997 TT was 3.9 but I am likely wrong...or perhaps not.

Mexico
Your synopsis is not exactly correct, but in the end... I think you are mixing me up with someone else on the tiptronic thing. I also know the history of Porsche dating back so I am fairly familiar with the car numbers though not all. I used to be a bit of a Porsche fanatic as a teenager. Growing up there was a 930 at the end of my street. I can recognize the sound of a Porsche rather well and it imprinted me.

Damn. Chow? Guess I should have expected it. Sorry. Our resources are too good in Spain. I only go down there for the big deals. My Italian is much better.

M3NTAL
Lighten up on the ignorance. I am not a dumbass.

x is what I typed in when I was poking around in the controls for a way to delete the account. There is no mystical glow around Autobahn, normally it is choked with trucks from all points in Europe. On the rare Sunday when trucks are banned, or at night, that Zen of cruising for hours at high speed is the difference, and I have been up to this mischief for eight years now. Years ago, I used to drive at very high speeds in the USA. Difference is that there are quite a few high power cars that prowl over here getting from A to B, and a match up is very, very common. It develops shifting skill. Not a late night solitary "if-that-detector-goes-red-where-is-the-next-exit-before-the-radio-roadblock" type of thing. Unless you use a jammer.

My best average times on road trips have been in France (before the newer laws) and in the USA. The Autobahn is as you point out correctly, a lot of speeding up and slowing down, but at least the morons are semi-looking for someone coming from behind. It trains shifting.

Now that you finally opened the gear ratio argument, I was out on my single speed fixed gear bike this afternoon, and had time to think about a way I might be able to explain this in the face of so much adverse conviction. The ratio on my bike is fixed and single speed (track bike.) That means if I want to go faster the only thing I can do is spin faster to increase speed. It also means that for every pedal revolution I travel a very specific number of meters.

This is identical to what an engine mated to a transmission does. The RPMs have a direct effect on the net number of meters that are dished out by the back rotating wheels. A higher RPM translates to more meters (depending on the ratios) unless the competing car is very quickly increasing its RPMs with a higher gear and better ratio and more power. A 997 TT has to shift somewhere between 6500 and the redline of 7100...and it takes a hit on HP for each shift from the fans spinning down and spinning back up...correct me on this point. That means that if the normally aspirated M3 can rev 1300 higher it can twist the back wheels for more -total meters- despite the lower engine power under that relationship, no?

In the end, nobody believes me here, or believes the silly story that I am telling. That is ok. I must admit that the posts once I started whining about how nobody loved me have gotten much better.

Southlight
I see the stats. They still are all single gear acceleration numbers. Get out there, and find one. Kill. I was surprised.

ilhyn
Axe. *chuckling* nicely done.

Spearfisher
You are right. I do not have an M3. I am a 12 year old girl in Boise, Idaho with an active imagination.

All
I guess what I am trying to say is that if you can shift worth a damn, you can beat things you might not have guessed you could. Or you might need to up your medication.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #72
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qship View Post

Spearfisher
You are right. I do not have an M3. I am a 12 year old girl in Boise, Idaho with an active imagination.

All
I guess what I am trying to say is that if you can shift worth a damn, you can beat things you might not have guessed you could. Or you might need to up your medication.

dude, you must be one, a 12 year old isn't that sarcastic, got me LMAO, that was funny.

hey if you read one of my posts, I clearly stated the one way I could see you beating one, is if the 911 had a poor driver, but I still stand my ground drivers equal a M3 is not faster than a 911 TT, remember a good driver can execute a shift in about .25 seconds, so an extra shift don't mean didly

but hey if you are a little girl, you should probably go here http://www.barbieforums.com/, instead of the M3 forums
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #73
M3NTAL
Baller, Shot Caller
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, AMG G55 & more

Quote:

M3NTAL
Lighten up on the ignorance. I am not a dumbass.

x is what I typed in when I was poking around in the controls for a way to delete the account. There is no mystical glow around Autobahn, normally it is choked with trucks from all points in Europe. On the rare Sunday when trucks are banned, or at night, that Zen of cruising for hours at high speed is the difference, and I have been up to this mischief for eight years now. Years ago, I used to drive at very high speeds in the USA. Difference is that there are quite a few high power cars that prowl over here getting from A to B, and a match up is very, very common. It develops shifting skill. Not a late night solitary "if-that-detector-goes-red-where-is-the-next-exit-before-the-radio-roadblock" type of thing. Unless you use a jammer.

My best average times on road trips have been in France (before the newer laws) and in the USA. The Autobahn is as you point out correctly, a lot of speeding up and slowing down, but at least the morons are semi-looking for someone coming from behind. It trains shifting.

Now that you finally opened the gear ratio argument, I was out on my single speed fixed gear bike this afternoon, and had time to think about a way I might be able to explain this in the face of so much adverse conviction. The ratio on my bike is fixed and single speed (track bike.) That means if I want to go faster the only thing I can do is spin faster to increase speed. It also means that for every pedal revolution I travel a very specific number of meters.

This is identical to what an engine mated to a transmission does. The RPMs have a direct effect on the net number of meters that are dished out by the back rotating wheels. A higher RPM translates to more meters (depending on the ratios) unless the competing car is very quickly increasing its RPMs with a higher gear and better ratio and more power. A 997 TT has to shift somewhere between 6500 and the redline of 7100...and it takes a hit on HP for each shift from the fans spinning down and spinning back up...correct me on this point. That means that if the normally aspirated M3 can rev 1300 higher it can twist the back wheels for more -total meters- despite the lower engine power under that relationship, no?

In the end, nobody believes me here, or believes the silly story that I am telling. That is ok. I must admit that the posts once I started whining about how nobody loved me have gotten much better.
I'm willing to forget this. But how you kept pushing and how you told the story, seemed like you were saying the M3 is faster than the 997TT. If you would have come out with the statement like you just did, like "I know the M3 isn't faster than the 997TT, and I really don't know exactly how I beat them, but I did..." There wouldn't have been anger, put downs, from me or from other people. I acted slightly out of line, but people will call you stupid when you say something as far fetched as you did and seemed to ignore the facts we posted. That doesn't justify how I acted, BUT that's the logic that I followed.

I'm sorry for being so rude, but it seemed like you wouldn't pay attention to anything we were saying, so IGNORANCE was the word I thought best described the situation.

Now that you seem to be coming back down to earth I think that I would be a good idea to start a thread in this forum, apologizing for the misconception and stating what you really believe.

You're cool dude, just lay low and make some good posts about things, and don't fake anything, if you don't know about something don't act like you do, or you'll get more bullshit. I had a rough landing here too, so we're kinda in the same ballpark. Enjoy your M3, I'm still waiting for mine (DCT), and share your enthusiasm with others here on the board. Some are jerks, but I think you'll find most of them are just well educated enthusiasts, that love the M3, just like you and I do.
      06-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #74
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

+ 10 M3NTAL!! So, on with new posts and on with the show.
      06-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #75
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
That explains a lot.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 02:22 AM   #76
Qship2
Germany
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #77
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:

Cool
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #78
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

WOW....this turned into a train wreck....

I'm almost glad I didn't read it for a few days!
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #79
Qship2
Germany
Rep

M3NTAL, per your recommendation
Porsche 997 TT v- 2008 M3 Coupé at high speed - first hand accounts requested
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147764

Let's see if this turns into Launcelot trying to save Prince Herbert.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #80
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
M3NTAL, per your recommendation
Porsche 997 TT v- 2008 M3 Coupé at high speed - first hand accounts requested

Let's see if this turns into Launcelot trying to save Prince Herbert.
Sorry don't catch you? The vid shows the M6 beaten by the 911TT.
      06-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #81
Qship2
Germany
Rep

I posted the vid there since it would be posted there soon enough as "proof."

Something that is bothering me about the testing in Sweden though. All of those tests are owner against owner, right? So if you suck at shifting you will get stomped...on video. Just like in professional drag racing.

You can have more power, botch your shift, spin the tires, and lose.

That is also the same guy in the white M3 in each video (versus M5 Combi, and versus M6), right? Referring to Footie's post:

Also the M5 crushed the M6 in the first video. Now how is that possible according to everyone here? It is lighter and has the same engine...right?

Not arguing that the M3 would win. Just everyone is basing their firm belief in some owner versus owner video?! Guys, I may be on crack, but look at what I am saying.

Gone for the night. TGIF.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #82
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Remember when the President of Iran said that the Holocaust was a haox? That was funny. Wait. No it's not. Neither is this.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #83
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I posted the vid there since it would be posted there soon enough as "proof."

Something that is bothering me about the testing in Sweden though. All of those tests are owner against owner, right? So if you suck at shifting you will get stomped...on video. Just like in professional drag racing.

You can have more power, botch your shift, spin the tires, and lose.

That is also the same guy in the white M3 in each video (versus M5 Combi, and versus M6), right? Referring to Footie's post:

Also the M5 crushed the M6 in the first video. Now how is that possible according to everyone here? It is lighter and has the same engine...right?

Not arguing that the M3 would win. Just everyone is basing their firm belief in some owner versus owner video?! Guys, I may be on crack, but look at what I am saying.

Gone for the night. TGIF.
If you notice the M6 is not a coupe, but a vert with it's top down on top of that, so you have:

1. a heavier M6
2. a M6 with the top down is slower on a high speed run, and it still beat the M3.

and on a note the one in that vid is Space GM, not Alpine W, different cars, different drivers supposedly
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #84
Qship2
Germany
Rep

Points taken Spear. I would not expect an at speed V8 420hp normally aspirated to keep up with an at speed same V10 507hp more or less regardless of weight (within reason)

This stuff is not just static numbers and single gears, and these owner v- owner videos everyone thinks are so reliable are perhaps...worthless? Single run, non-pros, and this Swedish track meet posts on YouTube like it is gospel (buy our DVD!), complete with debriefing for that tuned 335 video. The 335 dumped the clutch and spun out then talked about upgrades!? Did you hear the same screwball shifting during the M6 v- 997 TT? He botched his shift and barked his tires (did traction control kick in?)! These guys are not pros...they are owners. That is it.

Watch yerself sum good ole drag racin' NHRA style...they talk about shifting when they lose, and the HP is beyond us all.

Gobs of horsepower used ineffectively is simply worthless. That is all I am saying.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #85
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

What do you think wold have to be the hp increase in an M3 to beat the M5/6. 460ish you think? And may be able to get that from cold intake, ECU, full headers, downpipes and exhaust. Certainly if you SC or turbo or go with Dinan stroker kit, but these other options may change the weight distribution of the car (other than the stroker which will probably be way too expensive anyway).

Last edited by KonigsTiger; 06-09-2008 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #86
Qship2
Germany
Rep

I am not going to mod mine. I have zero experience in this category (one of the reasons I was interested in this forum - that and the USB thing), so I would love to hear other opinions. Guess that would be in tuning?

I have another story about a 4S that I will just not talk about since this post went so well (not.)

I did discover that the extended electronic limitation that is supposed to kick in at 270 - did not...I hit an indicated 300 today, and it was still pulling. Mech at the shop says it will do 330 unlocked (indicated speed.) Glad I paid for that option.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #87
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Mods aren't that big of a deal.. exhausts, brakes, and other DIY interior/exterior enhancements. I wouldn't do anything that would void my warranty though, such as chip tuning although I'd love to have the limiter removed.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #88
Qship2
Germany
Rep

ihyln, can you get the M-Package in the US? It is an option, and if yours is in production it might not be too late since this is simply an electronic option. If you ever run up against that 160mph limiter, your head will knock forward like you over rev'd the engine. Like Mom calling you home for dinner when you are half way up the tallest tree in the forest...except there is a bear behind you with [insert auto manufacturer emblem here.] "Mom! You just don't understand!" Get to the right.

Been researching, and tinkering with gear ratios, but mostly for my own understanding. I have been looking at the C&D gearing matrix in this post. Can anyone comment if there is anything that is incorrect?

If all is correct, then the Porsche 997 TT has a much more challenging time with higher speeds in terms of acceleration which would match my statement. Almost like Porsche engineers wanted only low end, mid-range, great start acceleration, and then as an afterthought for drivability they worked out expected top speed and geared it that way...not exactly the most efficient use of HP, but likely MORE than OK for track usage. Just leaves them exposed on the Autobahn where speeds exceed 200. The C4S yesterday was not fooling around, and he was damn fast. He let me have the lead with plenty of space after a couple of acceleration runs where I out shifted and out ran them...and I get to watch the conversation in my rear view mirror between him and his wife.

But of course, do not believe me (I am a troll or a little girl or whatever.) I am likely a liar.

Just look at the gear ratios. Substantial differences in the higher gears.

I will spare you the excel sheet I am tinkering with.

If you are considering a Porsche for the track, this post is likely irrelevant to you.
Appreciate 0