BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Caveatesq
Private First Class
2
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 991
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Comedy of errors - dealer trashed finish and more!

As some of you know, a little more than a week ago my two week old M3 died and had to be towed to my dealer with a faulty throttle sensor. Well, after a week in the shop waiting for a diagnosis and parts, I picked up the car last Friday. When I arrived, the car was parked outside in bright sunlight and was covered from roof to bumper in swirls and scratches. Seems like the dealer chose to wash and then dry the car with sandpaper. To add insult to injury, the car also now has a ding on the roof above the passenger door, the tow truck bottomed out the car while loading it and scratched the front spoiler and the dealer put over 40 miles on the car! Needless to say, I am appalled and heartbroken. The dealer has offered to detail the car but not much more and I am very reluctant to put the car at the mercy of an inexperienced "detailer" with an orbital - for some reason I suspect that nothing good will come of that encounter. As for the other items, it looks like I may be on my own to pursue a claim through roadside assistance with no help from the servicing dealer.

I am really regretting my decision to get rid of my 997 to get the M3. Yes, Porsche service cost a fortune, but the experience and treatment was above and beyond. This BMW experience has been amature at best. Looking forward to completing the survey!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
ES_TRADER
Colonel
68
Rep
2,699
Posts

 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
sorry to hear man....i hope this car is a lease.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Caveatesq
Private First Class
2
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 991
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
sorry to hear man....i hope this car is a lease.
Luckily, it is. But I have to live with it for the next 35 months and the thought of making huge payments for a car that is now a mess sucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
M3maniac20
Captain
M3maniac20's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
651
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Are the scratches going to be able to come out? If not...I wouldn't have taken the car back.
__________________
2011.5 M3 Coupe ZCP
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
walsh
Second Lieutenant
walsh's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
290
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F82 M4
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (2)

Sorry to hear about your car... I would suggest switching dealers though.
__________________
2015 F82 M4 | Sapphire Black | Carbon Fiber Trim | DCT | pic coming soon-ish
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Caveatesq
Private First Class
2
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 991
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3maniac20 View Post
Are the scratches going to be able to come out? If not...I wouldn't have taken the car back.
In the right hands, the scratches, with the exception of the gouges to the front spoiler, look removable. I just don't have faith that the dealer's detailer has the ability to do anything more than cause more damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
elm3
M3 Lover
elm3's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canton, GA.

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Really the onlything you should worry about is the ding on the roof. Which a paintless dent removal will do and you won't be able to tell. As far as the swirls, a little polishing will take care of that. These new cars do not have wax from the factory, so everytime you wash your car with regular soap it will show swirls. Hope this will help you out.
__________________
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '14 335i, Sport Line, Premium Package, Technology Package, 19" wheels, Heated Seats - Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1 - Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy

Last edited by elm3; 11-16-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
United_States
143
Rep
5,830
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
Sounds like a terrible dealer. They are not all like this.

Complain to the dealer and tell them to pay the bill for a detailer of your choosing.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

I've had this happen before with a dealer that (at the time) didn't have an auto car wash but instead used minimum wagers who used the same towels over and over so that they were full of dirt. Swirl scratches everywhere. Get them pay for correcting the car from a high end detailer so that they learn a lesson. Be thankful it's a lease - but get something in writing so that they don't ding you when you turn it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 02:45 AM   #10
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31
Rep
2,731
Posts

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Really the onlything you should worry about is the ding on the roof. Which a paintless dent removal will do and you won't be able to tell. As far as the swirls, a little polishing will take care of that. [b]These new car do not have wax from the factory,[\b] so everytime you wash your car with regular soap it will show swirls. Hope this will help you out.
With the possible exception of VERY high end exotics, there aren't ANY cars that come from the factory with any protectant (sealant or wax) on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 02:46 AM   #11
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31
Rep
2,731
Posts

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
I've had this happen before with a dealer that (at the time) didn't have an auto car wash but instead used minimum wagers who used the same towels over and over so that they were full of dirt. Swirl scratches everywhere. Get them pay for correcting the car from a high end detailer so that they learn a lesson. Be thankful it's a lease - but get something in writing so that they don't ding you when you turn it in.
Put what in writing? That it was polished? Really?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
elm3
M3 Lover
elm3's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canton, GA.

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
With the possible exception of VERY high end exotics, there aren't ANY cars that come from the factory with any protectant (sealant or wax) on them.
Agree...
__________________
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '14 335i, Sport Line, Premium Package, Technology Package, 19" wheels, Heated Seats - Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1 - Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Kyoshi71's Avatar
35
Rep
2,528
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

All these dealerships suck now. My dealer, Hassel BMW in NY used to be incredible with service. Now they have a vallet company (who doesnt habla) checking your car in with dirty uniforms. I've also seen the car washers/swirlers using rags that were piled up on the fucking floor! I brought my car there for an inspection recently. All I asked was for the sticker to be put on strait. Wouldn't you know, it now looks like a yield sign.
But the absolute stupidest thing they do is have prompts on the phone when you call. I dont know about you, but most of my calls to the dealer happen when I'm driving and remember something or hear something, etc. Why have prompts where you have to jeopardize yourself pushing Gad Damn buttons?????
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
Caveatesq
Private First Class
2
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 991
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
That sucks man! Drop it off at http://www.detailersdomain.com/... well worth the trip. Your car will be better than new.

I feel like every time you drop off your car at the dealership, the M3 dies a little bit.... got mine back yesterday... they covered the driver's seat with plastic to protect the light grey leather.. well, when they pulled out the car from the shop one of the tech's decided to ride shot-gun on the *uncovered* passenger seat, after he just did an oil change....
Thanks - I already got in touch with Phil at Detailers Domain over the weekend. His work looks first rate. Waiting to hear back from the dealer today.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
racedoc11
Major
racedoc11's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,274
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Audi RS5 & 08 M3 E93 SOLD
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Audi RS5  [5.00]
2008 E93 M3  [5.00]
I was at the dealer the other day and I saw how the guy was washing the cars. He was using one bucket for 4-5 cars with a long brush (like a broom) and it WAS NOT boars hair I can tell you that. He dipped the brush and swiped the car top to bottom. I almost started a thread in here to advice guys NOT to let the dealer to wash their cars. The first thing I say when I go to the dealer NO TEST DRIVE & NO CAR WASH.
What you can do is to take your car to a professional detailer (you can't go wrong with Phil from Detailers Domain) and get them to remove the swirls and let the dealer pick the bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveatesq View Post
As some of you know, a little more than a week ago my two week old M3 died and had to be towed to my dealer with a faulty throttle sensor. Well, after a week in the shop waiting for a diagnosis and parts, I picked up the car last Friday. When I arrived, the car was parked outside in bright sunlight and was covered from roof to bumper in swirls and scratches. Seems like the dealer chose to wash and then dry the car with sandpaper. To add insult to injury, the car also now has a ding on the roof above the passenger door, the tow truck bottomed out the car while loading it and scratched the front spoiler and the dealer put over 40 miles on the car! Needless to say, I am appalled and heartbroken. The dealer has offered to detail the car but not much more and I am very reluctant to put the car at the mercy of an inexperienced "detailer" with an orbital - for some reason I suspect that nothing good will come of that encounter. As for the other items, it looks like I may be on my own to pursue a claim through roadside assistance with no help from the servicing dealer.

I am really regretting my decision to get rid of my 997 to get the M3. Yes, Porsche service cost a fortune, but the experience and treatment was above and beyond. This BMW experience has been amature at best. Looking forward to completing the survey!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31
Rep
2,731
Posts

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
No not that it was polished. That the spoiler was scratched by the towing company/dealer tow and that the dent was also caused by them so when he turns in the car and the scratch and dent is still there he can just show the finance company the letter.
The scratch should be covered in wear and tear and the dent sounds like PDR can take care of it. Absolute worst case is the scratch put on the "We Owe" notice and he's good. Everything else can easily be taken care of before he takes delivery. Hell, if he doesn't get his panties in a bunch and talks to the tow company and dealership with an even keel he can probably get the lip replaced as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
Caveatesq
Private First Class
2
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 991
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
The scratch should be covered in wear and tear and the dent sounds like PDR can take care of it. Absolute worst case is the scratch put on the "We Owe" notice and he's good. Everything else can easily be taken care of before he takes delivery. Hell, if he doesn't get his panties in a bunch and talks to the tow company and dealership with an even keel he can probably get the lip replaced as well.
I have been very calm and accommodating with the dealer and am giving them the chance to make this right. Just seems like they are only focusing on one of the issues and ignoring the others hoping that I will go away. I will be patient for a little longer and then escalate if the need arises.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #18
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Kyoshi71's Avatar
35
Rep
2,528
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
That sucks man! Drop it off at http://www.detailersdomain.com/... well worth the trip. Your car will be better than new.

I feel like every time you drop off your car at the dealership, the M3 dies a little bit.... got mine back yesterday... they covered the driver's seat with plastic to protect the light grey leather.. well, when they pulled out the car from the shop one of the tech's decided to ride shot-gun on the *uncovered* passenger seat, after he just did an oil change....
Absolutely...Let Phil have it!! The car will come back better than ever
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31
Rep
2,731
Posts

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveatesq View Post
I have been very calm and accommodating with the dealer and am giving them the chance to make this right. Just seems like they are only focusing on one of the issues and ignoring the others hoping that I will go away. I will be patient for a little longer and then escalate if the need arises.
That is 100% the right case. I've been in your shoes and the adage about catching more flies with honey than vinegar definitely applies.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #20
Ben Choad
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3; 09 Lambo LP560-4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveatesq View Post
As some of you know, a little more than a week ago my two week old M3 died and had to be towed to my dealer with a faulty throttle sensor. Well, after a week in the shop waiting for a diagnosis and parts, I picked up the car last Friday. When I arrived, the car was parked outside in bright sunlight and was covered from roof to bumper in swirls and scratches. Seems like the dealer chose to wash and then dry the car with sandpaper. To add insult to injury, the car also now has a ding on the roof above the passenger door, the tow truck bottomed out the car while loading it and scratched the front spoiler and the dealer put over 40 miles on the car! Needless to say, I am appalled and heartbroken. The dealer has offered to detail the car but not much more and I am very reluctant to put the car at the mercy of an inexperienced "detailer" with an orbital - for some reason I suspect that nothing good will come of that encounter. As for the other items, it looks like I may be on my own to pursue a claim through roadside assistance with no help from the servicing dealer.

I am really regretting my decision to get rid of my 997 to get the M3. Yes, Porsche service cost a fortune, but the experience and treatment was above and beyond. This BMW experience has been amature at best. Looking forward to completing the survey!
I am starting to experience multiple problems with my car. Today was the first day I am really regretting purchasing this car as well. Already looking into my options to get rid of it. I needed a 4-door as a daily driver and thought this car would do the trick but as of a week ago, it is turning into a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31
Rep
2,731
Posts

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

What, exactly, are the issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #22
hababa
Enlisted Member
hababa's Avatar
4
Rep
49
Posts

 
Drives: Nothing terribly exciting
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
That sucks man! Drop it off at http://www.detailersdomain.com/... well worth the trip. Your car will be better than new.
+1 Phil does awesome work!
__________________
I'm getting really good at driving with my eyes closed.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST