BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

05-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #1
nxtstep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Bluetooth streaming for cheap

Hey guys im new to the forum but have been reading a lot of helpful stuff so thought id post and help too. Sorry if this is posted b4 but didnt find it in search.

Lots of you use tune2air for bluetooth streaming which i almost picked up too but i was at frys and found this which works amazing so far. Link to amazon its called Smartbean

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LS5...rb_top?ie=UTF8

Does come in different colors and its tiny. Has the little aux plug and short usb cable as well. Hope it helps someone looking to do this. Just connect your phine to it and plug it in your set. Paid $10 vs $65 for tune2air.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
CognitiveDistortion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtstep View Post
Hey guys im new to the forum but have been reading a lot of helpful stuff so thought id post and help too. Sorry if this is posted b4 but didnt find it in search.

Lots of you use tune2air for bluetooth streaming which i almost picked up too but i was at frys and found this which works amazing so far. Link to amazon its called Smartbean

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LS5...rb_top?ie=UTF8

Does come in different colors and its tiny. Has the little aux plug and short usb cable as well. Hope it helps someone looking to do this. Just connect your phine to it and plug it in your set. Paid $10 vs $65 for tune2air.
Does it support steering wheel buttons, album art, artist/song info on iDrive screen? Does it automatically connect and launch the last played app each time you get in your car?

These are some of the selling features of tune2air, if it can do all that then its an amazing deal for $10.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
nxtstep
Enlisted Member
Rep

So i been using it for a week or 2 now and honestly i love it. My usb is screwed so i need to power it off everytime i leave to save power and turn it back on. So far everytime i do turn it on i do c spotify come up on my phone.

The steering wheel buttons dont control anything but volume. When u turn it on put iphone volume at 2 bars before 100% and same for aux volume on bmw screen. Doing this will work perfectly and you can crank it all the way up if u want.

Screen does not display any artist info or anything. What i did was i bought a ac vent holder for iphone. Magnetic 1 and it works great i tested atleast 10 of them and this is the only 1 that works right just tighten it good. Mountek airsnap air vent car mount.

I didnt know tune2air supports all that. Some people told me it doesnt. Might have to look again.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

the tune2air basically replicates your ipod/phone being plugged in so you can control it like you would if you phone was directly plugged in. I had one an it worked pretty well. Better than the mysync crap in my Raptor at least...
      05-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep

Quote:
So i been using it for a week or 2 now and honestly i love it. My usb is screwed so i need to power it off everytime i leave to save power and turn it back on. So far everytime i do turn it on i do c spotify come up on my phone.

The steering wheel buttons dont control anything but volume. When u turn it on put iphone volume at 2 bars before 100% and same for aux volume on bmw screen. Doing this will work perfectly and you can crank it all the way up if u want.

Screen does not display any artist info or anything. What i did was i bought a ac vent holder for iphone. Magnetic 1 and it works great i tested atleast 10 of them and this is the only 1 that works right just tighten it good. Mountek airsnap air vent car mount.

I didnt know tune2air supports all that. Some people told me it doesnt. Might have to look again.
See above. Tune2air replicates your ipod/phone.
      05-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #6
nxtstep
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
See above. Tune2air replicates your ipod/phone.
Cool. Ya im on cacation and just ordered it off amazon to get it by Tuesday so ill fiddle with it and c. Hope its what u guys say then for me it would be worth even double. Thanks again.

The other thing i got was for a cheap solution just thought id tell peep anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #7
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Ya im on cacation and just ordered it off amazon to get it by Tuesday so ill fiddle with it and c. Hope its what u guys say then for me it would be worth even double. Thanks again.

The other thing i got was for a cheap solution just thought id tell peep anyways.
it worked great for me when I had it. Hope you enjoy it!
      05-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #8
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Tune to air displays album info from Android on CCC?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #9
nxtstep
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey guys. Sorry been a while since imposted but i did get it and had some time to play with it. I am using iphone 6s plus ios 9.3.1 and using spotify 2011 e93 m3. Heres my findings.

If i go directly to the album screen or hit cd on idrive it shows my songs on iphone not spotify. If im on the nav screen on startup it loads up the album info just fine. It doesnt really let me switch through songs from the wheel. Usually just lets me swap through like 2-3 songs. Sometimes need to press the button 2 times.

If anyone has any advice please let me know. I do like the fact that its up and running right away and i can just turn the car off and not do anything else.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
nxtstep
Enlisted Member
Rep

New update. All of a sudden the darn thing works great and shows album cover and gives full control from steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

How's the audio quality of this smart bean device
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 12:33 AM   #12
nxtstep
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k4 View Post
How's the audio quality of this smart bean device
Its good but i switched to tune 2 air. If your on any iphone or android just put the phones volume 2 bars before highest setting and crank the radio volume if you want.
Appreciate 0