BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
zke36
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Montego 335

Need Audiophile Advice: Tower Speakers

Looking at 3 different models right now that I can get deals on:

-Pinnacle p6.3 (used)
200w max power
20 watt RMS
29hz-21khz
92 dB sensitivity
8ohm impedance
(fiber woofers)

-new POLK Monitor 70
30hz-25khz
90dB sensitivity
8ohm

-Klipsch RF-25 (used)
125w max power
45hz-20khz
97db sensitivity
8ohm

Porsche 935DP
'07 Montego E92 335i
BMS CAI - PROcede V4

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
My dad is an amateur audiophile (not crazy about it but reads all the magazines and stays pretty current on stuff) and when he was redoing his entertainment room he installed a Polk surround sound. Believe me it sounds awesome, and the speakers are pretty small. From an aesthetic standpoint I think you can do better than Polk (like B&O or something) but I've yet to hear a system that makes Polk sound like shit
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
zke36
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Montego 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
My dad is an amateur audiophile (not crazy about it but reads all the magazines and stays pretty current on stuff) and when he was redoing his entertainment room he installed a Polk surround sound. Believe me it sounds awesome, and the speakers are pretty small. From an aesthetic standpoint I think you can do better than Polk (like B&O or something) but I've yet to hear a system that makes Polk sound like shit
Thanks, ive rulled the klipsch out (havent heard amazing raves of the company and it has the worst frequency range). So trying to decide between POLK and the Pinnacle.

On paper the pinnacle looks good but I cant seem to find any information on the speakers and the company doesnt seem to be that popular.

Porsche 935DP
'07 Montego E92 335i
BMS CAI - PROcede V4

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yea I'll be honest I've never heard of Pinnacle, but that doesn't necessarily mean they suck or anything. When I was buying some car audio stuff a while ago I used Crutchfield and they were extremely helpful, call them and say you're considering the two brands and they'll def help you pick out what's best for your situation - even if you're not buying from them (just say your still making up your mind at this point lol). Of course if you deem necessary, reward them with your business, I know they pretty much made me a customer for life with their customer service, even though I don't buy too many audio products. When I do, they're my go to people.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Pinnacle?

Polk is good stuff. I have Boston Acoustic towers with a powered adjustable sub in the bottom of each. They are oldish but sound great and I can thump the pictures off the wall if I turn the sub past 4. I run 400 watts/total from a Denon receiver to them. Your receiver is a big factor IMO.

I have a B&O turntable still.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
budget?

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

SNR is a pretty important spec. I wouldn't totally rule out the klipsch. You won't be dissappointed with the Polks, however.

Personally, I'm a big fan of OmniMirage
      07-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Also, your receiver/amp is just as important as your speakers. No point in getting top end speakers if you're going to run them off a POS JVC receiver/amplifier.
      07-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
Also, your receiver/amp is just as important as your speakers. No point in getting top end speakers if you're going to run them off a POS JVC receiver/amplifier.
Truth. My dad runs his polks through an Onkyo receiver
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I just purchased a 7.1 Klipsch system that includes the RF-52 towers. It is driven by the Denon 3310CI. I listened to Polk, Klipsch, Definitive, etc., and preferred the warm sound of the Klipsch when matched with the Denon.

My point - it is a subjective purchase. Listen to them and purchase what you like.

I'll also vouch for Crutchfield. Although, I tend to give ABT in Chicagoland most of my business.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
I'll also vouch for Crutchfield. Although, I tend to give ABT in Chicagoland most of my business.
ABT is awesome too
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
ABT is awesome too
It is the Bass Pro/Cabela's of electronics and appliances. My wife prefer that I not visit that place....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
It is the Bass Pro/Cabela's of electronics and appliances. My wife prefer that I not visit that place....
LOL single FTW
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
ive got the polk RTiA7's up front in my setup

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
dude crutchfield.com can help you out with damn there anything audio/video. sadly im not allowed on the website. and like dpratt34 my wife also prefers that i dont visit stores like that either. i guessthey will never understand our passion for sounnd quallity
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

Go to Audiogon and start doing some research. High end equipment at a used price is better than mediocre at full price.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by zke36 View Post
Looking at 3 different models right now that I can get deals on:

-Pinnacle p6.3 (used)
200w max power
20 watt RMS
29hz-21khz
92 dB sensitivity
8ohm impedance
(fiber woofers)

-new POLK Monitor 70
30hz-25khz
90dB sensitivity
8ohm

-Klipsch RF-25 (used)
125w max power
45hz-20khz
97db sensitivity
8ohm
^*edited: yes, check audiogon*^

Of that list, #3. Doesnt take much juice to get them signing(high sensitivity), however, they will distort at loud volumes.

Pinnacle's: built like tanks and can probably take the most juice of the bunch, however, they're just not very musical.

Polk's: meh....not much else to say, unless you're talking about the high end line and the tweeters that set them apart.

So, #3 for casual listening. #1 for crank dat souja boy piss the neighbors off volumes. Dont be fooled, spend 70% of your budget on good speakers. They make a huge difference in sound. Lots of better options out there, NHT, Dali, Paradigm, PSB...blah blah blah

bottom line is---> Dynaudio /thread

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
Ru$$ell
M0derator
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zke36 View Post
Thanks, ive rulled the klipsch out (havent heard amazing raves of the company and it has the worst frequency range). So trying to decide between POLK and the Pinnacle.

On paper the pinnacle looks good but I cant seem to find any information on the speakers and the company doesnt seem to be that popular.
ruled out klipsch? really? worst frequency range? ,those are the best you have from your choices there.I am by far no audiophile,but i've demo'ed alot of higher end tower speakers and klipsch rival them in sound,for half the price,take a look at my room setup:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=4118
      07-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

A lot of this depends on what you are going for and how you like to listen to your music. If you just want loud and headbanging, any of these will do. If you listen to anything really bass-heavy, these will distort at hhigher volumes...the woofers on these just can't keep up with the task and get very boomy...better to get a sub or a speaker with a powered woofer like the Polk LSi 15.
If you want clear music that isn't warm, cold, clinical whatever, you are going to pay some bucks. I suggested Audiogon because you can get some good deals on speakers there...good high end speakers. Audiophiles are like serious computer geeks...they are always changing out equipment...you reap the benefits.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

Out of your choices klipsch is the best. Especially for home theater. They will play super loud before they distort. It takes a doubling in power for a 3db increase in sound so sensitivity is very important. One thing to note is that many people think klipsch speakers are bright for music because they use horn tweeters. I have a pair of bookshelves and they don't fatigue my ears at all tho. (Whoever said they were warm, i've never heard that before.)

There are a lot of great speakers out there and just because you can get a good deal on these, it doesnt mean they are your best choice. Everyone gets good deals on klipsch and polk. Personally im not a big fan of polk. There are so many speaker companies out there you wouldn't believe it. I really like Paradigm for a neutral sounding speaker. They look great too.

Some good questions would be

Budget?
What speakers have you heard and liked?
Are looks important?
m
Music/HT Ratio?

For pure HT its impossible to beat Pro audio speakers. But not everyone wants them in their living room(example: JTR Triple 8's). But audiophile speakers can still make for a great HT experience. Provided you have a good sub with the system. Check out the Epik Empire. I just ordered one and its supposed to be insane performance for the money.

Finally, head over to avsforum.com they can help you out with any questions you have.
      07-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukthunderace View Post
A lot of this depends on what you are going for and how you like to listen to your music. If you just want loud and headbanging, any of these will do. If you listen to anything really bass-heavy, these will distort at hhigher volumes...the woofers on these just can't keep up with the task and get very boomy...better to get a sub or a speaker with a powered woofer like the Polk LSi 15.
If you want clear music that isn't warm, cold, clinical whatever, you are going to pay some bucks. I suggested Audiogon because you can get some good deals on speakers there...good high end speakers. Audiophiles are like serious computer geeks...they are always changing out equipment...you reap the benefits.
I got curious and found this http://boston.ebayclassifieds.com/el...er/?ad=3812467

I think I paid around 1300 for the pair after negotiating a whole system. They do just fine for me.
Mucho Pink Floyd, some Zeppelin, Classical and Jazz are my main stays and all sound good to me.
Getting good bass at lower volumes is what sold me on these.

One day it's a hot item the next it's archaic as you said.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #22
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

I'd also recommend good speaker cables. NOT Monster.....some good cheap alternatives are audioquest, kimber kables

nordost if you can afford them

Appreciate 0