BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #23
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_RW View Post
DSC off -

select 1st gear

add some revs, balance the throttle and the clutch perfectly, keeping the car right in its power band but with a limited 5% wheelspin for a perfect launch.

Basically you need to practice.

RW
Agree, but can it be 5.3% wheel spin? lol!
      09-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #24
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Don't forget, if you have EDC, the "normal" setting seems to be the best for this.
      09-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #25
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_RW
DSC off -

select 1st gear

add some revs, balance the throttle and the clutch perfectly, keeping the car right in its power band but with a limited 5% wheelspin for a perfect launch.

Basically you need to practice.

RW
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonigsTiger View Post
Agree, but can it be 5.3% wheel spin? lol!
No way man! Over 5% and you'll roast the clutch, fry the tires, and trash your axle splines!

On a more serious note, how would you gauge the rate of wheel spin? Leave DSC on and if it doesn't intervene and there's some small amount of wheel spin then that means you're at some predetermined (and ideal) level of wheel spin (e.g. 5%)?

I guess I'm more seat-of-the-pants on this. If it feels about right with some wheel spin but no breaking loose of the tires then it's all good. Maybe that's too simplistic, I don't know, but it seems to work for me. Then again, I may not be getting the most optimal lauch.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #26
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
there's a mexican dude that operates your transmission called Manuel. just say "arriba arriba" and he'll launch for you
      09-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #27
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

just stomp stomp slam!
      09-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #28
mv312r
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Isn't it quicker (and easier on the tires) with 'MDM'? The question is if it's easier on the clutch as well. Experts in car abuse, please chime in .
Dunno about being easier on the clutch but MDM really seems to nail the the traction part. As Tiff demonstrates in the section that start at about 2:40 in the Fifth Gear M3 test

My uneducated quess would be that MDM would allow you to release the clutch a bit too fast and use just a bit too much throttle and the MDM would take care of getting way too much wheel spin. Theoretically this would be easier on the clutch as you would not be slipping it for extended periods.

MDM is propably not optimal for drag racing but should give quite nice launches to us Joe Averages.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #29
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
My experience with the MDM for a wheel spinning start is that it's pretty good so long as you don't totally break the tires away. If you do that, then it lowers the power too much, for too long. OTOH, if you launch with just a little wheel spin and then floor it, then the MDM is almost perfect.

For autocross, I turn ESC totally off because, even though it gets the launch ok, it really interferes with trail braking and rotating the car around a tight turn. It can kill the throttle for what seems like forever and it'll hit the inside rear brake to kill any really good rotation.

Dave