BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BPM

09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
GOVCO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 AW M3 DCT [Slight Mods]

Anyone here in AF Reserve/Air Nat'l Guard

I am looking to talk to someone in either the Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard that is located in Maryland.

I currently work for the federal government, get paid well, and know I have a great career. However, I come from a military background with both of my folks retiring from the military and now work for the federal government. After college, and prior to getting married back in 05', I was destined to go into the AF...then I met my wife.

Needless to say, I have always wanted to serve my country. So, I am not looking to leave where I am now, but I would like to, if possible, to offset my federal career with a career in the military. I am 33 years old, don't have much time until the 34 year old age cap kicks in.

Can anyone help answer some questions short of calling the recruiter?

Thanks in advance!

GOVCO
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
being that your already 33, they might have an age cap. I know in the Marines, going in active duty as an officer, I believe the cut-off is 28.

not sure about Air Force, or the Reserves/Nat'l Guard, but that is something that may potentially come up.

Best of luck
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Tuner1984
1 Stock M
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Slow

Garage List
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Good luck. I want to say that the cut off in the reserves is going to be a few years longer than if you went active duty but I could totally be wrong. Even though it's great you want to serve the county and stuff, if called upon with especially having a family would you be ready to deploy? Not trying to to rain on your parade.

Current: E46 M3
Retired: 2009 E90 AW M3
Retired: 2007 E90 AW 335i.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
GOVCO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
being that your already 33, they might have an age cap. I know in the Marines, going in active duty as an officer, I believe the cut-off is 28.

not sure about Air Force, or the Reserves/Nat'l Guard, but that is something that may potentially come up.

Best of luck
I found information on the AFR, which states:

"If you haven't served before, you have to join before you turn 35. Exceptions would be for medical professionals, clergy and attorneys. If you have served before, you would have to join before you are 40, plus the time served. For example, if you served in a military branch for six years, you could join up through about age 46. The idea is that you must be able to get 20 good years of service in before you turn 60."

So, it looks like I am within the window. You never know though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner1984 View Post
...if called upon with especially having a family would you be ready to deploy? Not trying to to rain on your parade.
100%. Comming from a military family, and understanding what it was like have a member away for months at a time at such a young age, yeah, it would suck. However, having gone through it at a young age, knowing it can be done, and knowing I have the support of my wife, and family, we would make it happen. Especially given the change in how we're looking at wartime operations. The intent, at least from the current administration, is to reduce the amount of military deployment. Granted, you never know if your ticket will be called.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
What do you do as a federal employee?
I know the AF has programs "specializations" such as Acquisitions or Intelligence Communities that will allow you to enter as an 0-2 or O-3.

You might want to dig around and find more info on that.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Tuner1984
1 Stock M
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Slow

Garage List
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOVCO View Post
I found information on the AFR, which states:

"If you haven't served before, you have to join before you turn 35. Exceptions would be for medical professionals, clergy and attorneys. If you have served before, you would have to join before you are 40, plus the time served. For example, if you served in a military branch for six years, you could join up through about age 46. The idea is that you must be able to get 20 good years of service in before you turn 60."

So, it looks like I am within the window. You never know though.

100%. Comming from a military family, and understanding what it was like have a member away for months at a time at such a young age, yeah, it would suck. However, having gone through it at a young age, knowing it can be done, and knowing I have the support of my wife, and family, we would make it happen. Especially given the change in how we're looking at wartime operations. The intent, at least from the current administration, is to reduce the amount of military deployment. Granted, you never know if your ticket will be called.
Well good luck and if you do decide to serve you definitely will be joining a band of brothers and sisters that will look out for one another especially in a war time situation. On top of that you get to meet a lot of great people along the way. I think it definitely takes a special person to want to serve in the military and need be put there life on the line for their country.

Current: E46 M3
Retired: 2009 E90 AW M3
Retired: 2007 E90 AW 335i.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

like what others say, you're just at the cutoff for officer candidate school. i was looking at doing Marine Corp aviation a few years ago, i decided against it as it doesn't pay me enough in the immediate term to justify it. Also, in the event I can't qualify to fly, I didn't want to serve in the Marines, I really wanted to fly.

http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/?dest=courseoverview

Marine Corp aviation is very selective with a series of 4 large-scale training courses that take about 2 years.

I have a feeling to fly in the AF it's just as difficult and selective, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I really wanted to fly.
no wonder they didn't let you fly
You're driving a non ZCP M3
Real top guns have ZCP!

Civic M3s
Bah!
      09-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
GOVCO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
What do you do as a federal employee?
I know the AF has programs "specializations" such as Acquisitions or Intelligence Communities that will allow you to enter as an 0-2 or O-3.

You might want to dig around and find more info on that.
Well, I spent 7 years as a Contracting Officer, and now the past year as a Procurement Analysts writing and interpreting policy as it relates to federal acquisitions. I know there are spots doing similar work, which I may look in to. However, I really want to break into the intellegence community. The CIA is way to far for me, but NSA might be doable. Who knows. Something on those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner1984 View Post
Well good luck and if you do decide to serve you definitely will be joining a band of brothers and sisters that will look out for one another especially in a war time situation. On top of that you get to meet a lot of great people along the way. I think it definitely takes a special person to want to serve in the military and need be put there life on the line for their country.
Appreciate it. I enjoyed growing up in a military family. Living in Japan for six years, growing up on Andrews AFB watching the first presidnetial hangar being built. Great times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
like what others say, you're just at the cutoff for officer candidate school. i was looking at doing Marine Corp aviation a few years ago, i decided against it as it doesn't pay me enough in the immediate term to justify it. Also, in the event I can't qualify to fly, I didn't want to serve in the Marines, I really wanted to fly.

http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/?dest=courseoverview

Marine Corp aviation is very selective with a series of 4 large-scale training courses that take about 2 years.

I have a feeling to fly in the AF it's just as difficult and selective, good luck.
Wouldn't want to fly, although that would be a great career. Would think I should have started earlier, and not went the fed gov route to do that. However, definitely want to head to OTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
no wonder they didn't let you fly
You're driving a non ZCP M3
Real top guns have ZCP!

Civic M3s
Bah!
Now that's just wrong. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Look into Direct Commission programs. The Navy has DC slots that you interview for. Officer indoctrination is a 12 day course, lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Hello guys...long time no see. Mdrobc13 here. OP PM me if you have questions or concerns or need contacts. Am an AD AF Flt Surgeon..and former M3 owner and can help with some of the threads here. Basically:

1. You're not too old..you've discovered that already but your clock IS ticking.
2. You have to qualify for it medically.
3. There are jobs and bonuses for those who qualify for special duties (ie. intel and contracting)
4. OCS may also be a shot too but the they are cutting down on direct officer slots and its harder to get one straight from civilian life unless you have a special skill set (medical, JAG, nurse, pilot).
5. Guard/Reserves while they must still meet all AD qualifications and standards often have different flexibility on certain things as far as jobs and age and thing so as they are under a different title job wise when the military looks at things/funding etc. ANG/Reserves are employed by their respective state/governor 1st and only become federal when under orders/activated remember that point.

Finally there's often a waiver for anything and everything so don't let age discourage you. If you're a good fit/troop they'll be happy to grab/have ya!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
GOVCO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Hello guys...long time no see. Mdrobc13 here. OP PM me if you have questions or concerns or need contacts. Am an AD AF Flt Surgeon..and former M3 owner and can help with some of the threads here. Basically:

1. You're not too old..you've discovered that already but your clock IS ticking.
2. You have to qualify for it medically.
3. There are jobs and bonuses for those who qualify for special duties (ie. intel and contracting)
4. OCS may also be a shot too but the they are cutting down on direct officer slots and its harder to get one straight from civilian life unless you have a special skill set (medical, JAG, nurse, pilot).
5. Guard/Reserves while they must still meet all AD qualifications and standards often have different flexibility on certain things as far as jobs and age and thing so as they are under a different title job wise when the military looks at things/funding etc. ANG/Reserves are employed by their respective state/governor 1st and only become federal when under orders/activated remember that point.

Finally there's often a waiver for anything and everything so don't let age discourage you. If you're a good fit/troop they'll be happy to grab/have ya!
I will be PMn you in the near future. Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0