BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

07-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
4u3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Just back from Summit Point

Just returned from a weekend of tracking with NJ chapter of BMW. Great bunch of guys and girls.

Without a doubt tracking the car with MDynamic mode makes all the difference. Its is a testamnet to BMW that they can make a car that you can take on a three hour trip and be comfortable all the way, then drive it on the track like a made dog, and the car justs asks for more. I was doing 132mph on the striaght, and was practing threshold braking, could not get the ABS to kick in. The car just slowed to the entry speed like it was no big deal, although a do have junks of brake pad stuck to my rims.

I pick up a 06 Cayman S this week and will take it to Summit in August with the Potomac PCA, going from DCT to manual should be fun.

The E92 is some kind of car.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

It's been a while since I drove Summit Point, but it was a blast. Glad to hear you had a great time with your E92/DCT. Isn't it awesome? I drove 7 hours to VIR, ran two days ont he track "like a mad dog", and then drove 7 hours back. The whole time int he driver's seat was like a dream. It felt like a luxury car on the highways (and twisty Rt. 58) and felt like a race car on the track. Except once I forgot to turn the air conditioning off (hahaha ) On the track, it's easy to forget all the luxury amenities the car has. Well, have fun with the Cayman S.
      07-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Summit is a great place.

Glad you had fun, and good comments about the all-around, nature of the car. That is exactly why it is so good. It's not close to the best in terms of all-out performance, but the combination of its attributes on the street and the track make it very, very good.
      07-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
sandwood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M, formerly e90 M3

nice. I have to admit that's about 5mph more than what I hit on the straight. have to work on my technique!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

How was the surface. Has all been repaired - fixed?
Seems like you had a real good time.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
It was great fun passing all you M3 guys on the track

07-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffan View Post
It was great fun passing all you M3 guys on the track

Lets mod those M's and see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
MTrizzy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

easy now...if i look at that picture correctly I was IN FRONT of you hahahah. Btw nice meeting all of you who were there.

AW E92 M3|E92 LuX|Piaa GTX H3| Rear Fog Light Mod | Ventureshield (Raja)
|Eisenmann Race Exhaust |Macht Schnell Filter | Black Grills | Black Sides | H&R Springs | Fabspeed X-Pipe & High Flow Cats| CF VRS II rep diffuser|Most powerful Scoops in the world|
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
I agree that the M3 was impressive this weekend. My car is modded (AA ECU, Pulley, Exhaust, Intake, and Carbotech XP10 pads), so when I hit turn 10 just right and there wasn't traffic ahead (a lot of traffic this weekend) I hit 141mph indicated. I then had to brake very hard and hope that I could scrub enough speed. I must say that I no longer had an "early apex" problem once I started pushing back my braking zone.

Also, the MDM mode saved my novice ass from spinning out of turn 3 (Instructor said "use more brake next time before turning in") as well as some minor adjustments that were appreciated by me.

Great weekend, and I hope to see you boys out there again. Brian, I would have loved to have ran with your 135i, but the only time I saw you on the track was just before I had to pit in. Next time.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDHNTR View Post
I agree that the M3 was impressive this weekend. My car is modded (AA ECU, Pulley, Exhaust, Intake, and Carbotech XP10 pads), so when I hit turn 10 just right and there wasn't traffic ahead (a lot of traffic this weekend) I hit 141mph indicated. I then had to brake very hard and hope that I could scrub enough speed. I must say that I no longer had an "early apex" problem once I started pushing back my braking zone.

Also, the MDM mode saved my novice ass from spinning out of turn 3 (Instructor said "use more brake next time before turning in") as well as some minor adjustments that were appreciated by me.

Great weekend, and I hope to see you boys out there again. Brian, I would have loved to have ran with your 135i, but the only time I saw you on the track was just before I had to pit in. Next time.
Yeah, we didn't get a chance to run together at all that I can remember. There was too much traffic on the track really, and it interupted the flow of running consistent laps.

I have to admit that I don't think I went full throttle through the entire front straight the entire weekend. I would trail off and hold it at about 130 from the flag station down to the braking zone. I figured since I wasn't timing my laps I'd conserve a bit of braking for turn 3 and mainly for the dive into turn 5, where I was at full ABS lockup each time. In fact, I remember coming at the back of your car pretty hard a couple of times on that corner, which was a ton of fun. My Carbotech AX6's did fine on the track, but they are definitely not full race pads. I'll be swapping back to stock for the street and HP10's or XP10's for the next event.

It was hard to tell how my car stacked up against the M3's really because we're all driving at different skill levels. I do know that Summit Point was a ton of fun, and I'm looking forward to getting back there soon. It was great to meet you all.

-Ruffan (Brian)
      07-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Thanks for the reports guys! looks like you had a lot of fun...