BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

CEL on EI x-pipe, "increased emissions"

Installed Encore Innovation x-pipe with HFC. Did a track day this last weekend and had to fill up with 98 super premium at a British gas station. Two days later get the "increased emissions" CEL. Total miles since x-pipe install about 650 miles. Will see if dealer will reset the codes with no hassle soon. But I was wondering if there is a way to just clean up the O2 sensors maybe is why their sencing higher emissions as it's getting a bit of carbon build up? Maybe it can be bad gass? I had a stock Saab 93 that after a trip through Europe, got teh CEL light and later after filling up in England, the code went away.

So if the CEL keeps coming back, then is the engine ECU going to try to compensate and eventually will I have engine problems? How will this effect teh HFC? Can it cause other expensive problems down the road? Any thoughts? Thanks,

Last edited by BimmerRob08; 02-04-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Installed Encore Innovation x-pipe with HFC. Did a track day this last weekend and had to fill up with 98 super premium at a British gas station. Two days later get the "increased emissions" CEL. Total miles since x-pipe install about 650 miles. Will see if dealer will reset the codes with no hassle soon. But I was wondering if there is a way to just clean up the O2 sensors maybe is why their sencing higher emissions as it's getting a bit of carbon build up? Maybe it can be bad gass? I had a stock Saab 93 that after a trip through Europe, got teh CEL light and later after filling up in England, the code went away.

So if the CEL keeps coming back, then is the engine ECU going to try to compensate and eventually will I have engine problems? How will this effect teh HFC? Can it cause other expensive problems down the road? Any thoughts? Thanks,

It's because of the x-pipe. Not the gas, and not because of carbon buildup.

It will not cause engine problems. It shouldn't damage the HFC's either. It's always good to get a properly matched ECU tune when you either change or remove the cats. The car will still run fine without it, but not optimally.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Yeah, maybe BMW will reset it and hopefully it won't come back. But if it does, I'd hate to have to take the x-pipe off after spending $1800 on it for nothing. If the engine isn't gonna run optimaly then at what degree is it not running top-notch? I won't be able to get a tune until I get back to the States with it and take it to a shop. Here they don't do that as far as I know and unless it's a Dinan, I won't get it because of the warrenty issue. Another member got cought by BMW and they voided his entire drive train warrenty. That just isn't worth it to me.
Appreciate 0