BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Exclamation New Tire: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

any of you guys thinking of getting michelin's new all season tire?

i believe these are replacements for the current pilot sport a/s plus.

launch tire sizes will be relased 5/1/13.

hopefully they will have oem gts sizes 255/35/19 285/30/19.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ls#page_header

Last edited by hl0m4n; 07-01-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I don't need an all-season tire for the M3, but if I did, no question this is going to be the one to buy. From what I've heard, the dry performance of this tire is equal to or better than some other high end summer tires (i.e. Conti DW for one). Michelin is basically creating a new class of tire -- extreme performance all-season -- it would appear. It's going to be interesting to see the test results.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I don't need an all-season tire for the M3, but if I did, no question this is going to be the one to buy. From what I've heard, the dry performance of this tire is equal to or better than some other high end summer tires (i.e. Conti DW for one). Michelin is basically creating a new class of tire -- extreme performance all-season -- it would appear. It's going to be interesting to see the test results.
Yes, I heard it's better than the DW in the dry from the subjective testers invited to the Michelin event.

Extreme Performance all season is an oxymoron since it's not really extreme at any one particular thing but meant to be good at everything. It's more comparable to the Max performance summer tires than the Extreme ones which focus almost exclusively on dry performance for street tires.

We don't need any more categories though
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Interesting. But could this all season truely replace dedicated winter tires in cold climates (-25C/-13F)?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
Interesting. But could this all season truely replace dedicated winter tires in cold climates (-25C/-13F)?
I would say no way. For temps like those, you definitely need a dedicated winter tire.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I don't see the point? Maybe on an AWD car these would get you home if stuck in a surprise storm but our cars would never leave the parking lot because they will lose most of the sharp edges on what limited siping there is as soon as they are driven somewhat aggressively. And if they won't be driven aggressively why buy the super high performance all-season? I love Michelin's product but I have yet to meet an all-season that does what it purports to do, they all turn out to be "no-season" tires

Last edited by Richbot; 04-29-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

full list of tire sizes are released in link above and oem gts are available .
      07-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

tires are now available... anyone plan on getting these?

oem gts sizes:
255/35/19: $270 each
285/30/19: $322 each
total: $1,184 + shipping via tirerack
      07-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I don't understand why anyone would get these for an M3. I would recommend doing it right and getting proper summer tires and proper snow tires. I would not be happy with sub-par performance year-round.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

This looks like a great winter tire for me. Normally we only get an occasional dusting in the valley. Added cold weather grip in the rain is the biggie for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
nchan50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 JzB/FR e92 M3

I'm running A/S because there's no way I can store separate winter and summer tires in NYC. Curious how these compare to the A/S Plus which I have right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
heartcolorgrey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP AW/Speed Cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchan50 View Post
I'm running A/S because there's no way I can store separate winter and summer tires in NYC. Curious how these compare to the A/S Plus which I have right now.
I'm in the SAME situation.

I'd love to hear anyone's 0.02$ that actually has a pair installed. NYC winters are usually ok, barring a day or two of heavy snow. So, these are a very attractive option for me.

Just waiting to hear if it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
I was going to pick these up but needed tires badly. Ended up with Super Sports. Will eventually throw these on.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchan50 View Post
Are there tire shops outside the city that would store your second set of wheels & tires?
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
nchan50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 JzB/FR e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Are there tire shops outside the city that would store your second set of wheels & tires?

Not really and also not really worth the headache. AS is good enough for the winter because the car is purely for enjoyment and I don't need to use it in heavy snow. During the summer, I'm not good enough on the track to really know the difference compared to the PSS.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Disciple7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

So with the 18inch OEM Sizes of 245/40 and 265/40, do we go up to 255/40 and 275/40 since 265/40 doesn't appear to be an available size?

I am looking at these of more of a three-season tire, the M will get garaged in true winter, but Oct/Nov and early spring still have some very cold mornings and I'd rather not drive out in Summer Tires at 6AM to work.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
naterater
BMW & Michelin Brand Ambassador
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 Coupe

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 #PSAS3 is getting some pretty awesome reviews! I have tested them out myself and they are crazy good! Definitely a game changer in the all-season category. The BMW Blog wrote up a really good review of them which you can read here: http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/01/22/bm...ot-sport-as-3/
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

The A/S3 definitely looks promising. Michelin is claiming dramatic increases in summertime traction while maintaining the treadlife and winter traction of the A/S Plus. I've driven them on our test track and was impressed with the grip level. We have not crunched all the numbers yet from our instrumented testing to say exactly where they stand as far as grip level.

It's impressive that they even dare to compare their all seasons to summer tires. They may even beat out some of the lesser tires in the summer category, certainly the cooler the weather the better chance they will have. I do NOT think they will equal the dry grip of the true class leaders, like the Pilot Super Sport.

I do think that Michelin has some wizardry in their tire carcass construction as far as managing contact patch shape, and it's allowing them to really step up the level of grip without needing a softer compound. They haven't come out and said how much of their performance gains come from which technology. But with the PSS and AS3 both touting their enhanced contact patch shape, and both breaking the mold for their categories as far as grip level, I suspect that is the 'special sauce.'
      07-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
The A/S3 definitely looks promising. Michelin is claiming dramatic increases in summertime traction while maintaining the treadlife and winter traction of the A/S Plus. I've driven them on our test track and was impressed with the grip level. We have not crunched all the numbers yet from our instrumented testing to say exactly where they stand as far as grip level.

It's impressive that they even dare to compare their all seasons to summer tires. They may even beat out some of the lesser tires in the summer category, certainly the cooler the weather the better chance they will have. I do NOT think they will equal the dry grip of the true class leaders, like the Pilot Super Sport.

I do think that Michelin has some wizardry in their tire carcass construction as far as managing contact patch shape, and it's allowing them to really step up the level of grip without needing a softer compound. They haven't come out and said how much of their performance gains come from which technology. But with the PSS and AS3 both touting their enhanced contact patch shape, and both breaking the mold for their categories as far as grip level, I suspect that is the 'special sauce.'
Michelin surprised me with the have-your-cake-and-eat-it PSS so I'm ready to eat crow here, but comparing favorably to summer tires likely means these will be total crap in winter. Which is no different than any other all-season, but calling a tire all-season doesn't make it so. I own a set of the purportedly awesome all-season Conti DWS's and they're terribly disappointing in terms of dry grip compared to even a lackluster summer tire, and wet grip isn't much better. As for snow...please. They're round and hold air and don't turn into bricks below 35F, that's all I ask of them. Hopefully the AS/3 are a huge step up from the DWS... All of the tires on my street cars (truck, 335, and M3) are Michelins so I am definitely a fan of their products but I don't kid myself either
      07-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Michelin surprised me with the have-your-cake-and-eat-it PSS so I'm ready to eat crow here, but comparing favorably to summer tires likely means these will be total crap in winter. Which is no different than any other all-season, but calling a tire all-season doesn't make it so. I own a set of the purportedly awesome all-season Conti DWS's and they're terribly disappointing in terms of dry grip compared to even a lackluster summer tire, and wet grip isn't much better. As for snow...please. They're round and hold air and don't turn into bricks below 35F, that's all I ask of them. Hopefully the AS/3 are a huge step up from the DWS... All of the tires on my street cars (truck, 335, and M3) are Michelins so I am definitely a fan of their products but I don't kid myself either
Rich. They're versatile like RA-1's. Rain (snow?) tires when new and then race tires when worn down to 4/32.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Rich. They're versatile like RA-1's. Rain (snow?) tires when new and then race tires when worn down to 4/32.
lol

But is it legal to camber shave them? And what happens when the compound changes mid-cycle and they suddenly start to suck?

Also, 4/32 is a mud tire, back when I was srs bzns I *started* at 2/32. Season in one session, let sit, 1 q, 1 race, toss, repeat. Worked well when winning enough contingency to buy a set of tires per weekend, would totally suck if not. Tire management was the single most annoying thing about Spec Miata on Toyoa because seasoned tires were so good at the end of a long run compared to stickers. At least with the Hoosiers now you can be sure to bolt on a new set and go faster (maybe). There were days I put brand new tires on the car and sucked and days I put tires with a little canvas showing on and went faster, WTF, effin toyos...ugh end rant

Last edited by Richbot; 07-30-2013 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
All-season tires are often jokingly called no-season tires, because they're the best at nothing.

If you were not impressed with the DWS in winter, you will not be impressed with the A/S3 in winter. Michelin is saying it is the same snow traction as the A/S Plus, which was less winter-oriented than the DWS. People with serious winters should have real winter tires.

You may find that the A/S3 is more satisfying in the summer, though it would not be as good of a summer tire as the PSS (naturally).