BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
Topgun2012
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
A lot of my friends and family don't get why I'm so into driving my car and seem so passionate when I talk about it. Unless others have experienced the M3 in the same way you have, they will never completely understand.
Tell me about it. I loved when I had just the 3 series. Its fun to wax it and just look at it. People called me crazy for spending hours on the weekend cleaning it. Everyone deserves something to be happy about IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #46
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

It definitely is perfect for what it was made to do, which is just about everything lol. I think the right move is to keep it and get something additional for the garage to compliment it. Im looking to add another one to my stable again one day and I cant wait! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #47
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I feel the same way, had an e90 m3 back in 2009 then got a 2010 GT-R then a 2011 C63 and im back where i started. I have never felt more at home than in the M3 and shes a keeper. I love the balance, the sound, the look and that she can be a track monster when i need to and a precise street toy as well.
      08-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #48
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

It really is 'Perfect'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #49
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

It's a good dilemma to have. I do regretted selling my M3 a bit and am not sure if I made the right step into a Porsche. I would imagine the next car after the M3 would be something far more superior..(some would argue that the m3 is still better )

Everything I would consider 'better' than the M3 is easily 100k+..I would probably look at

GT3 (yeah its PDK )
R8 V10 6MT
911S
GTR (more or less my next car if not a 911 variant)
Everything else I would want is much, much more expensive.

IMO, the M3 really is that good.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #50
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
It's a good dilemma to have. I do regretted selling my M3 a bit and am not sure if I made the right step into a Porsche. I would imagine the next car after the M3 would be something far more superior..(some would argue that the m3 is still better )

Everything I would consider 'better' than the M3 is easily 100k+..I would probably look at

GT3 (yeah its PDK )
R8 V10 6MT
911S
GTR (more or less my next car if not a 911 variant)
Everything else I would want is much, much more expensive.

IMO, the M3 really is that good.
Please elaborate. Now that you have had the Cayman S for a while, please compare to the M3.
      09-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #51
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I agree with OP. its a perfect blend of everything and thats why its so great. Road trip? Check. Luggage? Check. Rear seats that actually work? Check. Haul ass on the hwy? Check. Take it to the track? Check. Torque? YES! Lol.

Regarding profession, my dad was triple board certified and was practicing, then went onto teaching at UCLA med school, then got into research - headed the NIH in asia. Now he has a high position with a leading pharmaceutical company spearheading its biotechnology development/investments. He was bored with being with patients everyday lol. There are many opportunities out there! Good luck!

Now, I'm curious as to what the f10 M5 and f13 M6 deliver with that much more refinement and that much more power.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #52
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

HA! Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I usually switch cars every year to 18 months, and after looking around and doing some test driving, it looks like my E90 is not going anywhere soon.

I'll just pay this baby off in a couple years and pick up a nice low mileage CPO C4S.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #53
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I agree with OP. its a perfect blend of everything and thats why its so great. Road trip? Check. Luggage? Check. Rear seats that actually work? Check. Haul ass on the hwy? Check. Take it to the track? Check. Torque? YES! Lol.

Regarding profession, my dad was triple board certified and was practicing, then went onto teaching at UCLA med school, then got into research - headed the NIH in asia. Now he has a high position with a leading pharmaceutical company spearheading its biotechnology development/investments. He was bored with being with patients everyday lol. There are many opportunities out there! Good luck!

Now, I'm curious as to what the f10 M5 and f13 M6 deliver with that much more refinement and that much more power.
Fast as hell and very refined interiors. However, both feel big and bulky. Great highway cruisers, but not very lively or dynamic. There is also a definite disconnect with these big turbo motors. There is the vague sense that you are not controlling the power. It just sort of happens to you. This is based on test drives of the M5 and 650i. I felt very swallowed up in the 650 especially. The seating position is quite low for a car with such a sweeping dash and long hood. As far as power goes, there is too much for a RWD car with 295 tires. Car should have 325s or AWD. Of course AWD will make them even heavier and dull down the steering. Basically, these cars are just too big and powerful for their own good.

Last edited by LarThaL; 09-01-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #54
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I share your sentiments on the m3. I have historically kept cars for 2 years on average. I kept my first M3 (e90) for 4 years and I just got my second one in January (e92). I still love the car. There are many cars that I would love to have as a second car but the M3 as an all-around do everything car can not be beat. I even drove my E90 year-round when I lived in MN.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #55
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Please elaborate. Now that you have had the Cayman S for a while, please compare to the M3.
Sure

I absolutely loved my M3. Fantastic car. Like many others, I had the itch to try something new after having it ~4 years. I'm not one of those people who blows through cars and changing them out monthly and I had my heart set on a GTR. I had always had the desire to pick it up but got absolutely sick and tired of looking for a used, clean one (budget was around ~85k, didn't want to go higher than that)...the dealerships that had them were insane in their asking prices and most of them are sitting on them, trying to sell them for more than they are worth. Very annoying to deal with these people..especially when most don't know a damn thing about the GTR.

Turned to the Cayman. Looked awesome and loved it initially..struggling to really convey my current feelings for the car.

In comparison to the M3, IMHO, to me, it's not that exciting. Granted I did get the PDK while my M3 was a 6MT..definitely have some regrets for not going with the 6MT and I'm not one of those die hard enthusiasts who are adamant for this transmission.

In corners that I would take my M3 in, the porsche definitely hesitates a bit more. Somewhat flimsy--it doesn't feel as planted as the M. I realize that it is lighter than my m3, but still, I expected more out of the car through corners. It's fun to toss around but I feel as I can reach the limits in the porsche faster and easier than the M3..could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

I always had 4 seater cars, the porsche is my first 2 seater. I'm not a very big person but I still feel cramped/crowed in the porsche. Didn't consider this a factor since I have an IS350 as a DD but it's annoying when I want to make a quick trip to the grocery store, etc.

Engine is very uninspiring at lower RPMs. This was expected..I didn't think I would miss the V8 as much as I do.

Power is there and is on par with the M but just doesn't feel like it. I had modded my M3 (full exhaust) so maybe that had something to do with it.

The ride..holy SHIT I didn't think it would be this rough. I opted for the 20 inch wheels and didn't get the PASM. I didn't think it would be as rough as it is. Definitely my mistake so I can't blame the car for being so rough, my fault entirely.

So now I'm here at a crossroads and have two options.

Mod my Porsche and hope that the trivial things I dislike will change or I will get used to

Sell the Cayman and get a GTR black edition like I've always wanted.

I know most of my concerns are 'first world problems' but I don't think the Cayman S is a substantial upgrade from the M3. I think if you are cross shopping the two and have different criterias, it's definitely a contender.

I just expected my next car to be leaps and bounds better than my M3....unfortunately that was not the case.

Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure many others will differ but I wanted to be honest. I like the car but I'm not sure if I'll keep it for as long as I have kept others.

Let me know if you have questions
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #56
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sure

I absolutely loved my M3. Fantastic car. Like many others, I had the itch to try something new after having it ~4 years. I'm not one of those people who blows through cars and changing them out monthly and I had my heart set on a GTR. I had always had the desire to pick it up but got absolutely sick and tired of looking for a used, clean one (budget was around ~85k, didn't want to go higher than that)...the dealerships that had them were insane in their asking prices and most of them are sitting on them, trying to sell them for more than they are worth. Very annoying to deal with these people..especially when most don't know a damn thing about the GTR.

Turned to the Cayman. Looked awesome and loved it initially..struggling to really convey my current feelings for the car.

In comparison to the M3, IMHO, to me, it's not that exciting. Granted I did get the PDK while my M3 was a 6MT..definitely have some regrets for not going with the 6MT and I'm not one of those die hard enthusiasts who are adamant for this transmission.

In corners that I would take my M3 in, the porsche definitely hesitates a bit more. Somewhat flimsy--it doesn't feel as planted as the M. I realize that it is lighter than my m3, but still, I expected more out of the car through corners. It's fun to toss around but I feel as I can reach the limits in the porsche faster and easier than the M3..could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

I always had 4 seater cars, the porsche is my first 2 seater. I'm not a very big person but I still feel cramped/crowed in the porsche. Didn't consider this a factor since I have an IS350 as a DD but it's annoying when I want to make a quick trip to the grocery store, etc.

Engine is very uninspiring at lower RPMs. This was expected..I didn't think I would miss the V8 as much as I do.

Power is there and is on par with the M but just doesn't feel like it. I had modded my M3 (full exhaust) so maybe that had something to do with it.

The ride..holy SHIT I didn't think it would be this rough. I opted for the 20 inch wheels and didn't get the PASM. I didn't think it would be as rough as it is. Definitely my mistake so I can't blame the car for being so rough, my fault entirely.

Mod my Porsche and hope that the trivial things I dislike will change or I will get used to

Sell the Cayman and get a GTR black edition like I've always wanted.

I know most of my concerns are 'first world problems' but I don't think the Cayman S is a substantial upgrade from the M3. I think if you are cross shopping the two and have different criterias, it's definitely a contender.

I just expected my next car to be leaps and bounds better than my M3....unfortunately that was not the case.

Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure many others will differ but I wanted to be honest. I like the car but I'm not sure if I'll keep it for as long as I have kept others.

Let me know if you have questions
Thanks. This really helps a lot. I too am hoping that my next car (whenever that may be) will be a clear step above the M3, but I am thinking that in order for that to happen, one will really have to spend A LOT more money. And while, strictly speaking, I could go out and buy a 458 Italia, it wouldn't exactly be the smartest thing to do with 2 daughters coming up on college very soon. Time will tell. The M4 will definitely be under consideration as will the 911 S & 4S, and C7 Z06 Corvette.
      09-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #57
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Stick with the Cayman S and give it some more time. It is such a different car than the M3 and the initial transition phase can be a little bit of shock. My advice is to participate in some drivers and track events with it. This will highlight the very essence of that car, it's nimbleness, the lightness, and you'll be in the rpm power-band all the time.

The Cayman S makes you work harder then the M3 to fully extract its potential and therefor enjoyment. I had 2 Caymans before the M3 and I was faster around the tracks in them then the monster supercharged M3 with more than double the power.

Even with my 991S after coming from the SC'd M3 I needed some time and seat time to fully appreciate the Porsche. They all make you work for it, but in the end I find it more rewarding.

Sure, the Cayman will have a tough time on the straights, but in the corner that thing is an acrobat with telepathic steering.

BTW, I had my eyes on the GT-R as well... drove one many times, including an AMS Alpha 9. I adore the cars, and driving one is instant gratification. You step on the gas and you get rewarded right away. Like a model putting out on the first date. But I truly felt that owning one longterm wouldn't be the right car for me. A Porsche is like dating a beautiful girl that will let you get to second and 3rd base after months of dating... very frustrating, but once you get the home-run you'll marry her.
I really liked your metaphor
My cayman just hit 2000 miles so I'm going to open her up a bit more and hopefully I will love it more than I do now. It is just so frustrating coming from my M3, but you're right. It's such a different car. I also do not like the attention I've been getting the car...especially at the hospital. I didn't think this car would be as ostentatious as it is. I know a GTR won't be much better to car enthusiasts, but still..it is a nissan! Hopefully with some mods the car will grow on me.

If not...

I'm adding a GTR to the stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Thanks. This really helps a lot. I too am hoping that my next car (whenever that may be) will be a clear step above the M3, but I am thinking that in order for that to happen, one will really have to spend A LOT more money. And while, strictly speaking, I could go out and buy a 458 Italia, it wouldn't exactly be the smartest thing to do with 2 daughters coming up on college very soon. Time will tell. The M4 will definitely be under consideration as will the 911 S & 4S, and C7 Z06 Corvette.
I wish I was in the position to get a 458 I definitely understand your priorities..sending the kids to college is much more logical than spending ~300k on a piece of metal

I think the M3 is definitely a good balance, it is difficult to find an all around car that is better than the M3
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #58
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

Fast as hell and very refined interiors. However, both feel big and bulky. Great highway cruisers, but not very lively or dynamic. There is also a definite disconnect with these big turbo motors. There is the vague sense that you are not controlling the power. It just sort of happens to you. This is based on test drives of the M5 and 650i. I felt very swallowed up in the 650 especially. The seating position is quite low for a car with such a sweeping dash and long hood. As far as power goes, there is too much for a RWD car with 295 tires. Car should have 325s or AWD. Of course AWD will make them even heavier and dull down the steering. Basically, these cars are just too big and powerful for their own good.
Yeah they are big and bulky and a low seating position is the best. Thats one thing i dont like on the m3 - it sits too high. All other drivers cars you sit real low.

But in the right hands, the m5/6 can tear up a track, but yeah, i agree not the tight narrow twisties!

I thought throttle response was not lost somehow with the turbos in the f10/13? Chris harris you liar!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #59
M三
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work Monday - Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
Except..can't park it anywhere w/o worrying about it.
LOL, me too.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875669
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #60
M三
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work Monday - Friday

My M3 will be the perfect car if it gets 16 (aggressive driving) to 20mpg rather than 12 - 15mpg...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #61
cannga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & Porsche 997 Turbo

Quote:

Mod my Porsche and hope that the trivial things I dislike will change or I will get used to.
Hi, I love dearly :-) both my M3 and my Turbo; they are different cars, each excelling in different aspects, and not one is "better" than the other. So... not here to debate which car is "better," only trying to help. I've owned 911, 911 Turbo, and have driven at speed GT3, GT2, Cayman/Boxster. First, you are right, Cayman is not about power. That engine they put in there is so so at best power wise. Porsche deliberately limits the power of Cayman so it doesn't pass the bread-and-butter 911.

Modding the Cayman is unlikely to help IMHO. Power wise, you can't squeeze much power out of NA engine despite of vendors' claim (sky is the limit OTOH for turbo's because of boost manipulation). Handling wise, the only thing I would do is to switch out that 20 rim for a better ride, AND better handling (20" wheel's stiffness hurts compliance and road contact). Sound wise, after-market exhaust is better, but won't solve your power problem.

What Cayman is about is purity of a mid-engine, light-weight sports car, with pure and telepathic steering, extremely fast and clean turn-in that only a mid-engine car could do. In curves, it gives feedback from the tires extremely well - best in business to me.
The light steering is considered among world's best; once you are used to it, other cars' steering will feel heavy and dead in comparison. Among Porsche fans, many are aware that Cayman is indeed Porsche's purest and very best handling car. In fact, to me mid-engine Cayman absolutely kills the handling of my rear-engine 911 on twisty roads, those left right left combinations.
To truly enjoy the Cayman, where handling and steering feel are the emphasis, not power, you have to take it to canyon road or at the track; take it to the limit and it would be a shining star. The twistier the road, the better it would shine. On city roads, I do understand why it may not as exciting because of the lack of power compared to the gem-like V8 of the M3. This I believe is one difference between M3 and Cayman: M3 is fun both at track and on city street (the best!), whereas Cayman is more fun the closer you take it to the limit on twisty roads.

For the all-important "what's next question," IMHO: As mentioned I love my M3 and 911 Turbo and are keeping them long term; not one is "better" than the others because they are totally differnt cars and serve different purposes. That said, if you ask me for my "automotive bucket list," it would include a powerful NA V8 or V10 car such as current M3, a powerful Turbo such as Porsche Turbo or Nissan GTR, and a mid or rear engine car such as 911 or better yet, Cayman. Transmission wise, the bucket list would include both manual and dual clutch.
If I could afford it, I would keep all cars ; if not, I would own them sequentially according to family and age demand, for example M3 early and late (when your back won't allow you to crawl into a low car any more), Cayman/911 in the middle, and when kids are older, etc. The idea is to enjoy and taste all the differences that this motorsports hobby gives you, and not to commit to any one brand forever. Now that I have M3 (a fantastic car!), next gen Cayman is actually next on my list. It is to me one of the best and "purest" sports cars on market; strong points are incredible steering and mid-engine handling, reliability, and most affordable mid-engine chassis (a steal imo), weak points are not enough power and very limited interior space.

Last edited by cannga; 09-01-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #62
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

I love my e90 too. When the engine finally dies one day, I plan on replacing it with the 4.4L M3 CRT engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #63
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

That pretty much sums it up.

I had a 2008 E92 M3, sold it and went car shopping.

Gave serious thoughts about a brand new GTR, used 997 GT3.

Got quite close to sealing the deal on the GTR but decided that I needed more rear leg room for occasional Airport Pick Ups. Needed more boot space. It wasn't that the GTR's boot space wasn't sufficient but rather the boot gap is relatively small.

As for the used 997 GT3, its pretty much an impulse thought.

I mean if I'm complaining about the GTR's leg room and boot space, the 997 is definitely out of the question.

So I went back and bought a brand new 2013 E92 ZCP M3 with 5 years warranty and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #64
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

I would say a 911 turbo but since they aren't making them in manual anymore, that idea can go out the window....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #65
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Yes, the human mind is insane.
How about simply being in the now at peace, in the only moment you truly ever have...you and your M3.
The future will always be plagued with more goals that we think will make us more satisfied and happier - only to find that the mind has tricked us again.
Very deep indeed. Perhaps I should think in these terms in reference to some other things in my life as well...I just may have many M3's at home and not realize...
Anyway I completely agree with LarThaL. The car is sublime and long trips are NEVER long enough in this car. I too now feel dialed into the car and don't even think about another car unless I'm not sitting in this one. I don't yearn for any additional performance either because I can't use ALL that I have now on public roads. Or at least I shouldn't.
Perfect car...Maybe, I can't think of any other car that does everything as well and is a true daily driver.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #66
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

I agree, i look at what is coming out. and say they just don't make a cars like our E92 m3 anymore. I just love the engine, how its sounds and revs. I LOVE the seats and interior feel. I like my full loaded interior better than a new M5 interior or any other BMW.

I could see myself owning this car for a while! although i would put a blower on to keep up with current competition if i did so!
Appreciate 0