BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #859
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #860
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
In traffic, you'll be in a car, same as everyone else. You're no better off than Simon Cowell in his Roller or that foolish idiot in the Nissan Versa. It's the same story on the motorway. But there will come a moment when the traffic thins, the police aren't looking and there's a nice bit of road ahead. At a time like this, a GT86 will make you happy.
Quote:
You will be revelling in the sort of thrills normally only on offer to the super-rich, but your thrill is better, because it's not scary. To make a Ferrari misbehave, you need to be doing Mach 2. To make a GT86 squirrel about, you only need to be doing 20.

The following video just shows how Jeremy Clarkson's words can be SO misinterpreted... yes, the police aren't looking... but the traffic does not thin at all, there's not a single bit of clear road ahead (let alone a nice one) and, indeed, it's scary even at 20. This is NO way to stand out in the traffic ... if that's your main take on cars, to show off in traffic I mean, just buy one of today's nice and shining BMWs and let it cruise instead, you'll be happy and we'll be happier because the GT86 is definitely not a car for you... even at 20:

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #861
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Found this pic online, hope its not a repost : ).
      12-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #862
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
The following video just shows how Jeremy Clarkson's words can be SO misinterpreted... yes, the police aren't looking... but the traffic does not thin at all, there's not a single bit of clear road ahead (let alone a nice one) and, indeed, it's scary even at 20. This is NO way to stand out in the traffic ... if that's your main take on cars, to show off in traffic I mean, just buy one of today's nice and shining BMWs and let it cruise instead, you'll be happy and we'll be happier because the GT86 is definitely not a car for you... even at 20:

Your comment makes no sense. Jealous you can't drift without making an accident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post

Never seen it. Looks good, but BRZ STI will not have any turbo, other than from aftermarket. Maybe next generation, or next upgrade, but not any time soon. Anyway there are more than enough turbocharged cars today, infact all, with the exception of some.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #863
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Your comment makes no sense. Jealous you can't drift without making an accident?
If you think like that it's because you are young and foolish. Do you really believe that those morons don't get involved in accidents?!... Search again!

It's like being accused of being jealous of those 'drunk drivers' that ONLY by pure luck don't get involved in accidents, don't get caught by the police, and manage to compensate adequately for their 'drunken disability'...

What would happened if the other cars didn't brake and stop or didn't got out of the way and pull over?!

The way I see it there are only two reasons for someone wanting to buy a sports car:

1) To try to stand out in the traffic - either by showing off in traffic like those morons OR simply based on car looks alone;

2) Loving to drive and have fun in the process avoiding to put the others and yourself at risk above everything else.

If you belong to the first group please just do yourself and the others a favour and, for instance, buy a today's nice and shining BMW and let it cruise. I assure you, you'll standout on car looks alone with the proper mods.

If, on the contrary, you love driving and the driving fun and it's mainly car dynamics you are soughting after buy a GT86 (it won't stand out in traffic on looks alone like, say... a BMW). You certainly will be looking for the proper bit of road and because you only need to be doing 20 it will be a LOT safier!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 12-09-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #864
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nice... see also:

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #865
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
The following video just shows how Jeremy Clarkson's words can be SO misinterpreted...
How are you even remotely attributing this to Jeremy Clarkson? These idiots would be doing this regardless. If you've ever driven in North Africa or the Middle East (among other places), you'd know that traffic rules and laws, and their enforcement, are incredibly different than here. Saudi is probably ahead of most of its counterpart countries, but still no where near the US in terms of organization and enforcement.

No, that's not an excuse to behave badly, but this isn't outside the norm, and attributing it to Top Gear is a reach.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #866
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you think like that it's because you are young and foolish. Do you really believe that those morons don't get involved in accidents?!... Search again!

It's like being accused of being jealous of those 'drunk drivers' that ONLY by pure luck don't get involved in accidents, don't get caught by the police, and manage to compensate adequately for their 'drunken disability'...

What would happened if the other cars didn't brake and stop or didn't got out of the way and pull over?!

The way I see it there are only two reasons for someone wanting to buy a sports car:

1) To try to stand out in the traffic - either by showing off in traffic like those morons OR simply based on car looks alone;

2) Loving to drive and have fun in the process avoiding to put the others and yourself at risk above everything else.

If you belong to the first group please just do yourself and the others a favour and, for instance, buy a today's nice and shining BMW and let it cruise. I assure you, you'll standout on car looks alone with the proper mods.

If, on the contrary, you love driving and the driving fun and it's mainly car dynamics you are soughting after buy a GT86 (it won't stand out in traffic on looks alone like, say... a BMW). You certainly will be looking for the proper bit of road and because you only need to be doing 20 it will be a LOT safier!
I think you are a kid. You even did not get my message. Your message on the other hnd was wrong. Fisrt you "blame" Clarkson for what this guy is doing in his GT86. The Arabs there, did this so many decades ago, before Clarkson ever commented about "not drifting on open roads".
Then, you comparisions with drinking is so wrong. Drifting is not chance, like driving drunk and not getting involved in an accident. It is ability. If there are accidents it is because most do that with have 99% sure ability. And why those that are able to do it right, like this guy with his GT86, must not do it, is because there is always 1%, a huge percent, that can go wrong, and involve innocent people, so better avoid.
More, your argument about the BMW is so wrong. A BMW does not stand out at all, unless bling-bling or completly modded, but then I'm not sure it looks good. You seem to be a badge whore. Your way of thing about BMW is like prefering a BMW because it gets you more chics than a Toyota. But a Porsche can get even more than a BMW, and a Lamborghini even more than a Porsche.

I don't approve what the guy does in his GT86, though I think it is less dangerous than what some guys do here, but in no way does it make BMW a better car. What you as a BMW guy think about a Toyota, the same a Porsche guy thinks about you.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #867
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
How are you even remotely attributing this to Jeremy Clarkson?
I'm not attributing this to Jeremy Clarkson, obviously. What I'm saying is that his words can easily inspire idiots!

You read what JC says, you see him go sideways in a huge track with no traffic whatsoever then you rush out to go and buy a GT86 and all of the sudden you think you are the 'drift king' doing stupid things in the middle of the traffic.

What I'm saying is simply this: don't mistake a traffic road for a huge abandoned aerodrome that someone else got only for himself while he talks lightly about cars for the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
If you've ever driven in North Africa or the Middle East (among other places), you'd know that traffic rules and laws, and their enforcement, are incredibly different than here.
Yes I know... been there, seen that!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #868
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think you are a kid.
I don't want to sound paternalistic in any way, but you should give more credit to someone who was already involved in two BIG car accidents and was lucky enough to not get hurt bad or badly hurt someone else and lucky enough to learn that I was young and foolish.

Quote:
Then, you comparisions with drinking is so wrong. Drifting is not chance, like driving drunk and not getting involved in an accident. It is ability.
Drifting in those conditions is pure gamble, a game of luck... and a dangerous one!

For two obvious reasons: 1) you can't predict what the others are going to do; 2) you have NO right to take a public road for yourself.

Quote:
More, your argument about the BMW is so wrong. A BMW does not stand out at all, unless bling-bling or completly modded, but then I'm not sure it looks good. You seem to be a badge whore. Your way of thing about BMW is like prefering a BMW because it gets you more chics than a Toyota. But a Porsche can get even more than a BMW, and a Lamborghini even more than a Porsche.
I only gave you the BMW example because it's cheaper than everything else you've just mentioned even with mods and I know you are just a lad trying to make his first money.

I envy you...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #869
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Drifting in those conditions is pure gamble, a game of luck... and a dangerous one!

For two obvious reasons: 1) you can't predict what the others are going to do; 2) you have NO right to take a public road for yourself.

Again, I don't approve drifting on open roads, but it is "less dangerous" than high speed driving. Most grave accidents have at high speed. With a GT86 you don't need high speed to drift, what makes it less dangeruous than drifting a 1M for example. Have you seen Advevo? He is a pro driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #870
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Again, I don't approve drifting on open roads, but it is "less dangerous" than high speed driving. Most grave accidents have at high speed. With a GT86 you don't need high speed to drift, what makes it less dangeruous than drifting a 1M for example. Have you seen Advevo? He is a pro driver.
Yes, the probability to have a car accident rises with speed - speeding increases the risk of a crash and its severity.

That's the reason why the GT86 is a car for me and the 1M a car for Advevo

- but remember, despite of being a pro driver most of Advevo's drifts you can see in his videos are made in the wet to lower the speed and all of them are made either in empty roads (no traffic) or in a track!!! -

with the 1M I need a lot more space to control it than I would ever need with the GT86. Advevo, on the other hand, can do brillantly with both!

The only caveat I see with Advevo's style and the 1M is the small slide angles he manages. I'm sure that with the GT86 Advevo would be capable of near 90 degrees drift most of the time!!!

I'm always trying to encourage him to do one of his videos with the GT86 but it seems he doesn't care about japanese cars other than powerful AWD Turbo's (i.e. EVOs and STIs).

TRACK:

EMPTY ROADS:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 12-12-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #871
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #872
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

See how much a different wheel design can improve the Toyobaru looks :

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #873
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Iti s a very nice car. In looks and in feel.....given the choice $$ Vs $$$$$....I'm sorry I think I would have gone with the Toyota.
In silver thank you :-)
Or if you can find a nice low milage 135I and hope to god it will not explode or die on you
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #874
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Iti s a very nice car. In looks and in feel.....given the choice $$ Vs $$$$$....I'm sorry I think I would have gone with the Toyota.
Or if you can find a nice low milage 135I and hope to god it will not explode or die on you
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #875
GotM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
There is a really nice, low mileage, 2009 135 for sale in Tucson, Az. I traded in it to buy the BRZ.

I havent had a chance to really feel the power(or lack of), since she is still in break in mode. But, it is obvious to does not have the grunt of the N54.

I think the handling is better on the BRZ. we will have to see how much this improves with some nice tires on the car.

On the same commute, I am getting 10+ MPG more, than the 135. This isnt that important to me, but a nice bonus.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #876
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

GotM, interesting progression, as I'm thinking about picking up a BRZ and had a 2000 M Coupe and a 2008 135i in the past. Keep us posted on how you like it.

My only fear is that the minute I buy one, they'll announce the STi version.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #877
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotM View Post
There is a really nice, low mileage, 2009 135 for sale in Tucson, Az. I traded in it to buy the BRZ.

I havent had a chance to really feel the power(or lack of), since she is still in break in mode. But, it is obvious to does not have the grunt of the N54.

I think the handling is better on the BRZ. we will have to see how much this improves with some nice tires on the car.

On the same commute, I am getting 10+ MPG more, than the 135. This isnt that important to me, but a nice bonus.
Give us an update with your impressions. I was also thinking of making the switch but have not driven one yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #878
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast
Quote:
Nice... see also:

I like this! Car just needs staggered wheels, a blower and you are set.
      12-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #879
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

I wonder if the Germans are looking at the 1 and thinking "SHIT!"
Hell even the French are looking at the Z and thinking "SHIT!"
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #880
SheerDrivingDiesel
Registered