BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
You pretty much reiterated everything I said *lol*. Basically, I'm looking for a tuner that knows the Procede well enough to tune it on top of the s/c, and was asking Malek if he's capable
I am still enjoying the meth/procede duo, consistent air temps and a lil timing on the top end.... Most dyno shops should be able to tackle the tuning, it is quite an easy process
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
You pretty much reiterated everything I said *lol*. Basically, I'm looking for a tuner that knows the Procede well enough to tune it on top of the s/c, and was asking Malek if he's capable
I researched adding the Procede/meth to an ESS supercharged car.

What I learned is that the M3 ECU + ESS tune are much more capable of adapting than the 335 ECU + tune. For example. How much power will you gain by adding 100 octane to a stock 335? Answer: 0-5. And how much power will you gain by adding 100 octane to 335 tuned at 14psi for 91 octane? Answer: 0-5. I know because I tried this on the fly at the EAS dyno...changing maps, adding octane, etc.

Now, go add some 100 octane to an ESS S/C M3 that is rated for 91 octane. How much power will you gain? Answer: A lot. I went from 543 RWHP to 567 RWHP just by adding a few octane points on the ESS 625 kit. Even adding octane to a stock M3 will give you something like 10-15 HP.

So you see the M3 ECU + ESS tune is much more adaptive to conditions than the 335 ECU + tune. For the 335, you need to tune for it. With the M3, you don't. That's why adding the Procede piggy back + meth isn't going to give you the bang-for-your-buck like it will on the 335. Simply adding some 100 octane or water/meth on the S/C M3 is all you need. Adding the Procede + water/meth and tuning for it may yield a couple more HP, but it's probably not worthwhile in the end and why I (and others) haven't done it.

By the way there was a thread dedicated to this that I started about a year ago on another forum that I can't link to here, but it has some good technical discussions if you can filter through 8 pages of bickering by two people.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #25
Mrbig
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

How was it hooked up since u are supercharged please email me pics maybe if u have and how set up looks thanks !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #26
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
If you are not gaining power with 100 octane, that means that conditions are ideal and the car is hitting the programmed targets properly.

If with 100 octane the car picks up power, that means that the ignition targets set for 91 octane may be aggressive to begin with. Remember that the DME only advances as far as the targeted timing, so theoretically if tuned for 91 octane it shouldn't pick up a whole lot of power unless the DME was pulling timing beforehand. It has nothing to do with "adaptability", it has to do with what the targets are, the ignition actually being run, the delta between them, the amount of ignition retard, and the environmental conditions.

A 335 should pick up quite a bit of power on 100 octane, if it did not, something was off adaptation/tuning wise. In order to make an accurate statement about it "not picking up power", you would have to log ignition timing as well as inlet temperatures to see why the power figures were so close.

Also remember that the dyno is not always going to reflect what happens on the street.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidle323 View Post
I am still enjoying the meth/procede duo, consistent air temps and a lil timing on the top end.... Most dyno shops should be able to tackle the tuning, it is quite an easy process
Awesomeness, man. I didn't realize until I looked @ your avatar that you have the Darth Maul M3.

You said that you're still enjoying it. I remember checking out Vishnu's before/after dynos. Given the increase, I'm assuming that the power gain is *very* noticeable. How were the car's driving characteristics changed?

I know that you also a) used 3 nozzles and b) mounted your nozzles are closer to the plenum. How close together are they mounted? I'm assuming that it is having no effect on the performance.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 07-24-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Awesomeness, man. I didn't realize until I looked @ your avatar that you have the Darth Maul M3.

You said that you're still enjoying it. I remember checking out Vishnu's before/after dynos. Given the increase, I'm assuming that the power gain is *very* noticeable. How were the car's driving characteristics changed?

I know that you also a) used 3 nozzles and b) mounted your nozzles are closer to the plenum. How close together are they mounted? I'm assuming that it is having no effect on the performance.
Due to the lack of heat soak, the power is always there, never have that "flat" unresponsive feeling anymore....

We used the same mounts and nozzles that came with the kit, mounted in a triangular fashion about 3" apart.. The mounting location seemed logical for this application.

Last edited by Cidle; 07-24-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #29
Malek@MRF
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, G82 M4

Quote:
I can set up Methanol Injection in any car, in any platform. Some of them take a lot more work than others as every car and setup is different, but it's all possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
If you are not gaining power with 100 octane, that means that conditions are ideal and the car is hitting the programmed targets properly.

If with 100 octane the car picks up power, that means that the ignition targets set for 91 octane may be aggressive to begin with. Remember that the DME only advances as far as the targeted timing, so theoretically if tuned for 91 octane it shouldn't pick up a whole lot of power unless the DME was pulling timing beforehand. It has nothing to do with "adaptability", it has to do with what the targets are, the ignition actually being run, the delta between them, the amount of ignition retard, and the environmental conditions.

A 335 should pick up quite a bit of power on 100 octane, if it did not, something was off adaptation/tuning wise. In order to make an accurate statement about it "not picking up power", you would have to log ignition timing as well as inlet temperatures to see why the power figures were so close.

Also remember that the dyno is not always going to reflect what happens on the street.
Everything I did was logged and analyzed. But only the dyno could tell me if I was gaining RWHP. Otherwise it would have been a "seat-of-the-pants" exercise. Just reporting the actual results I found from doing testing.

The modded 335 didn't gain power with octane. But the S/C M3 sure did.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #31
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

Everything I did was logged and analyzed. But only the dyno could tell me if I was gaining RWHP. Otherwise it would have been a "seat-of-the-pants" exercise. Just reporting the actual results I found from doing testing.

The modded 335 didn't gain power with octane. But the S/C M3 sure did.
And that's because the M3s timing was advanced past what was capable of being run on 91 octane in those conditions. If everything was logged you should be able to determine why it did not pick up power with 100 on the 335. Look at boost, timing, inlet temperatures, vanos position vs target, and adaptation values and you'll have the answer. A simple "it didn't pick up power" doesn't mean anything. Why it didn't pick up power is what matters, and that can be determined to an extent.

On the subject of meth, it does work but I would never put it on my car. Just not a fan and have heard of too many disasters. We did tune an E60 M5 that had a 150 shot of nitrous a few weeks ago. Real nice setup but fouls the MAF. Luckily the M3 is MAP based.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #32
Mrbig
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

mike contact me !!!
Appreciate 0