BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

11-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #45
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
No, champ doesn't get it.

The forum is over run with DCT threads... ALL of them complaining about the shortcomings of a new high tech transmission that works wonderfully on paper and in the hypothetical world but has more issues than the United Nations on real paved roads.

You may not want to admit it, but there are very real problems with DCT, just as there was with SMG. STALLING, LURCHING, JERKING, DELAYS, RECALLS... The only way I would consider a DCT is if I was a left legged amputee, and it even rhymes!
You are entitled to your opinion and certainly your choice of vehicle options but if you think that your description above is even remotely true or accurate then your are massively mistaken. All you have to do is do a bit of reading to realize that and it is clear you haven't. Heck I would even be willing to bet you haven't even driven the M-DCT.

Let's take this discussion to PM or to another thread. We are way OT.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #46
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
My only question about DCT (cause I haven't gotten to play with one) is how long does it take from the time you pull the paddle until the shift starts to happen? Why does no one take that into account when comparing shift times between DCT and MT? I'm sure DCT is faster, but I know my MT starts shifting gears exactly at the moment I tell it too.
This has been discussed extensively here on the forum.

When in S mode the original software showed a longer lag between paddle actuation and the beginning of the clutching. This delay was much longer for a few isolated cases. Either way with the first software update this delay has been reduced to a point that most call it truly instant. It is really that much better. However, even with the previous delay, it is not important for a pure performance perspective and shift time perspective because during the delay it was only software and syncro activity - the revs continued to build and you continued to accelerate. The only delay that affects performance is the delay while the clutch (or clutches) are not putting power to the wheels. This delay did not change with the new software! Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #47
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
This has been discussed extensively here on the forum.

When in S mode the original software showed a longer lag between paddle actuation and the beginning of the clutching. This delay was much longer for a few isolated cases. Either way with the first software update this delay has been reduced to a point that most call it truly instant. It is really that much better. However, even with the previous delay, it is not important for a pure performance perspective and shift time perspective because during the delay it was only software and syncro activity - the revs continued to build and you continued to accelerate. The only delay that affects performance is the delay while the clutch (or clutches) are not putting power to the wheels. This delay did not change with the new software! Hope that helps.
Yep it helps thanks. Now if I could only find someone kind enough to let me play with their DCT for awhile
      11-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #48
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Yep it helps thanks. Now if I could only find someone kind enough to let me play with their DCT for awhile
You should search around on the forum. I'd bet you could find someone. I let 2 members have a spin (them driving) in my car even when it was pretty new. I had one of the 1st DCT cars in So Cal. They really appreciated getting a sample of it and getting the sample that early.
Appreciate 0