BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #23
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Not only should the speed limits on major roadways be raised; but the driving age should be raised to 18. Also, make the driving test more stringent, and increase the cost of a driver's license.
wrong. what they should do is make licenses FREE and FREE registration, and eliminate the automobile property tax some states impose, then the people could take the money they save and apply it to purchasing better, safer, newer cars. for most of us, it wouldn't make a difference, but for the people driving moving death traps, that extra couple of hundred per year makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 05:54 AM   #24
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Speeding is the stupid act of going over the speed limit risking one's life and the others (yeah, even the slow moving cars that should go faster), and getting exposed to a pricey traffic ticket.

BMWing, on the other hand, is the fine art of maneuvering among normal cars, typically at a high speed, but being conscious of safety and the police. Hey, it's an art - and when perfected, it's very close to heaven.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #25
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecatrache View Post
Speeding is the stupid act of going over the speed limit risking one's life and the others (yeah, even the slow moving cars that should go faster), and getting exposed to a pricey traffic ticket.

BMWing, on the other hand, is the fine art of maneuvering among normal cars, typically at a high speed, but being conscious of safety and the police. Hey, it's an art - and when perfected, it's very close to heaven.
yea, thats what all those Murcielagos, Enzos, Gallardos, and 360 Modenas used to say to themselves too before they ended up in dithces, against walls, and mangled up with other cars. And they, who are much more qualified at performing this "art," could be considered the art instructors, the Pablo Picasos, the Vincent Van Goghs.............but they still end up dead too. So dont tell yourself that its just BMWing haha.

I saw an IDIOT, straight up IDIOT in a new E90 328i just blow a stop sign as he turned right and cut the shit out of the car in front of him.....mean while the ****** was on his cell phone too. I was sitting in a damn jaguar (refer to my accident thread as to why im driving a jaguar and not my car at the moment) and only WISH I had my moddified E92 so that I could have pulled next to him and told him that that shit he pulled back there was retarded as fuck. I say that I wish I had my moddified E92 335 becuase perhaps I'd have a "rank" and respect effect on him since he'd be being told to take it easy by a fellow E9x driver in a moddified version. Rather then some random in an old ladies jaguar who would probably just come accross as some sorta conservative lame'o'

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #26
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
A lot of ideas/points are valid. But I have one that trumps them all.

Open comms for the road. If you could send someone even 1 message while driving it would benefit everyone alot more and wouldn't be intrusive.

"hey, get out of the left lane"

"Hey, the light is green"

"hey, your gas cap is open"

"hey, sober up who do you think your fooling?"

Also, I would appreciate it if I had something wrong that I didn't know about and someone was able to tell me. (Hasn't happened yet but... )

There's a license plate frame that scrolls or display messages you type into it from a keypad in the car

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #27
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Why so? What is it specifically about driving an "SUV" that you think should require a special license? You wouldn't want to have to have a special test and license - that costs more - for driving a 300+ hp car would you?
Let me clarify; a large SUV has different dimensions. Just as one would need a special license to drive a truck, people who drive larger vehicles should be tested in those vehicles, not take a test and parallel park in a tiny Civic and then go out and try driving around in a Hummer.

And no, I would not oppose a different and more expensive license based upon horsepower.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #28
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

They should also retest drivers older than 60 or 65 like every other year or so. They're a problem down in FL. I also like Taittinger's idea about getting a license for a bigger car
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #29
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Oh yeah, MAKE DRIVING WHILE TALKING ON A CELL ILLEGAL for the love of god...

I think it should be illegal to talk on a cell while driving unless you have a hands-free device.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #30
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
I've noticed most of the assholes in the left lane with CT plates are least likey to move to the right...
I thought the standard was that anyone going slower than you was an idiot, and anyone going faster than you was an asshole.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #31
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I use that saying all the time, especially when my friend's driving and he gets pissed when someone else goes faster than him.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #32
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
wrong. what they should do is make licenses FREE and FREE registration, and eliminate the automobile property tax some states impose, then the people could take the money they save and apply it to purchasing better, safer, newer cars. for most of us, it wouldn't make a difference, but for the people driving moving death traps, that extra couple of hundred per year makes a difference.

yeah.....that's not going to work. The cost of the license isn't enough to get someone a better safer car. The personal property tax on a piece of shit car is next to nothing, so eliminating that isn't going to free up any additional capital for a better car either.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #33
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
They should also retest drivers older than 60 or 65 like every other year or so. They're a problem down in FL. I also like Taittinger's idea about getting a license for a bigger car
Agreed on both aspects. Getting your license at 16y/o then NEVER having the be retested again unless your license is revoked is just plain stupid.

I also agree with a separate test for large truck(dualies, F350+, etc.) and large model suv drivers (GX, Landcrusier, Hummer, etc). Taking the test in a sedan or smaller to pass the test then driving a behemoth on a every day basis are completely different cars. These people typically struggle to pass the test in a small car, why the hell should they be allowed to tool around in a car of a larger mass capable of causing more bodily harm to other smaller cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Oh yeah, MAKE DRIVING WHILE TALKING ON A CELL ILLEGAL for the love of god...

I think it should be illegal to talk on a cell while driving unless you have a hands-free device.
A lot of cities have already begun to pass this law. At least in my area they have.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0