BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

valentine 1....worth the money......or just annoying...

ok so i have had my valentine 1 now for just short of a year....i have to be honest there has been a few times where it has been no doubt saved me....but for the last few months i have been seeing our highway patrol using more laser/light then radar....and that is only picked p when the trigger is pulled....most the time the detector is just outright annoying....for those of you that have it....or thought about it whats your thought...by the way i almost posted this in the electronic section but....well thought it was more of a general thought
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
///M///
Brigadier General
///M///'s Avatar
912
Rep
3,058
Posts

Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ///M City

iTrader: (2)

I found it annoying and sold it in a month. Also feel that not having a radar detector keeps me more alert
__________________
=========================
2016 F80 M3 AW/SO (Manual) - Picked up at the Welt 08/28/15

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
s85e90
Brigadier General
125
Rep
3,635
Posts

Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
ok so i have had my valentine 1 now for just short of a year....i have to be honest there has been a few times where it has been no doubt saved me....but for the last few months i have been seeing our highway patrol using more laser/light then radar....and that is only picked p when the trigger is pulled....most the time the detector is just outright annoying....for those of you that have it....or thought about it whats your thought...by the way i almost posted this in the electronic section but....well thought it was more of a general thought
do a search this was a topic rather recently re: radar detctors and vs. Escort and V1
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
I found it annoying and sold it in a month. Also feel that not having a radar detector keeps me more alert
i also wonder if you get pulled over and they see it if your more prone to get a ticket as it some what shows your a habitual speeder....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
PurM3
Private First Class
12
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: M3 vert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I have a escort. I have it on the right channel so there isn't much noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurM3 View Post
I have a escort. I have it on the right channel so there isn't much noise.
ya i turned mine down...driving through the city i pretty much have to keep it on mute...lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
568
Rep
4,334
Posts

Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cedar Park, TX

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.67]
2014 BMW i3  [5.00]
You know you can program it to not alert some of the most common bands (shopping centers, for example). Mine rarely goes off and when it does, it is ALWAYS a cop. Sure it doesn't protect against laser, but it's very helpful to be aware even if you aren't speeding. Last night I was on the freeway going around 76-78mph and mine went off. I slowed down to the low 70's and a car behind me got pulled over. Not saying it saved me, but I'm glad I was aware a cop was nearby before he lit someone up.
__________________
2011 E92 M3(Sold). 2007 Honda S2000 (Track Car). 2016 Cayman GT4 (Sold). 2017 Shelby GT350 (AKA Crowd Killer).

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You know you can program it to not alert some of the most common bands (shopping centers, for example). Mine rarely goes off and when it does, it is ALWAYS a cop. Sure it doesn't protect against laser, but it's very helpful to be aware even if you aren't speeding. Last night I was on the freeway going around 76-78mph and mine went off. I slowed down to the low 70's and a car behind me got pulled over. Not saying it saved me, but I'm glad I was aware a cop was nearby before he lit someone up.
ya im going to use the button tonight and figure out how to program it....did you want to save me some time so i dont have to se the buttn
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
568
Rep
4,334
Posts

Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cedar Park, TX

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.67]
2014 BMW i3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
ya im going to use the button tonight and figure out how to program it....did you want to save me some time so i dont have to se the buttn
http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/techreport3.asp
__________________
2011 E92 M3(Sold). 2007 Honda S2000 (Track Car). 2016 Cayman GT4 (Sold). 2017 Shelby GT350 (AKA Crowd Killer).

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
lmao thanks brother your always a help....was at t-hill over the weekend..was hoping you were there....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
568
Rep
4,334
Posts

Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cedar Park, TX

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.67]
2014 BMW i3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
lmao thanks brother your always a help....was at t-hill over the weekend..was hoping you were there....
Yea I saw your other post. Respectable times for sure. Just keep at it. I'll be at Sonoma April 24 with HoD.
__________________
2011 E92 M3(Sold). 2007 Honda S2000 (Track Car). 2016 Cayman GT4 (Sold). 2017 Shelby GT350 (AKA Crowd Killer).

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Yea I saw your other post. Respectable times for sure. Just keep at it. I'll be at Sonoma April 24 with HoD.
i dont know how the hell i dropped the ball on that....i wanted to make it to sanoma before the heat gets here but its sold out now...my fault!!!!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
ChrisF
Second Lieutenant
ChrisF's Avatar
3
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Marin

iTrader: (1)

Have V1 and Escort 9500. Really loved the V1 until I got the Escort. I find it more accurate with less false alterts.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
Edward
Colonel
United_States
243
Rep
2,963
Posts

Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

That V1 is in dire need of a design update. Thing is like the 1998 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo of radar detectors.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #15
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Have V1 and Escort 9500. Really loved the V1 until I got the Escort. I find it more accurate with less false alterts.
ever get pulled over w/ either one of them????
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #16
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
That V1 is in dire need of a design update. Thing is like the 1998 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo of radar detectors.
ya they do have a distinct look...like to think of it as the 911 body style of radar detectors....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
s85e90
Brigadier General
125
Rep
3,635
Posts

Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You know you can program it to not alert some of the most common bands (shopping centers, for example). Mine rarely goes off and when it does, it is ALWAYS a cop. Sure it doesn't protect against laser, but it's very helpful to be aware even if you aren't speeding. Last night I was on the freeway going around 76-78mph and mine went off. I slowed down to the low 70's and a car behind me got pulled over. Not saying it saved me, but I'm glad I was aware a cop was nearby before he lit someone up.

this is why the Escort was mentioned as it learns the false areas and seems to make less noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
ya im going to use the button tonight and figure out how to program it....did you want to save me some time so i dont have to se the buttn


again that's why I mentioned what I did. Some reading up may make you wanna ditch the V1 if it's always making noise as the Escort seems to be preferred w/ less false positives.


I really don't use one and am just always aware as I feel sometimes w/ one on you can get lazy relying on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #18
ChrisF
Second Lieutenant
ChrisF's Avatar
3
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Marin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
ever get pulled over w/ either one of them????
Nope. I don't drive crazy on the streets like I used to though. Mostly keep the crazy stuff on track.

Funny about it being the 911 of radar detectors. Not a fair comparison though since the 911 actually receives a lot of incremental technology updates
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #19
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Nope. I don't drive crazy on the streets like I used to though. Mostly keep the crazy stuff on track.

Funny about it being the 911 of radar detectors. Not a fair comparison though since the 911 actually receives a lot of incremental technology updates
ya well put...plus the 911 body never gets old.....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
Edward
Colonel
United_States
243
Rep
2,963
Posts

Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
ya well put...plus the 911 body never gets old.....
The V1 case is super tired though. It looks like an electronic metronome or some medical monitoring device from 1978.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #21
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
Sebringjetta's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: E46m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
The V1 case is super tired though. It looks like an electronic metronome or some medical monitoring device from 1978.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #22
paddy335
Major
46
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: M140i;X5 40d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

+1 for just having a detector full stop. And +1 for the Escort....it's saved me countless times from radar and cameras, and is very unintrusive with its different modes and 'learning' of false positives (servo's, supermarkets, etc).

The funniest false positive for me is trains. Always makes me chuckle.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST