BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
freshpots
Registered
1
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: VW GTI
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

My Dads E92 M3... A little help?

Hey everyone. My Fathers M3 (2008) has had some clutch issues for the past little while, and I was wondering if anyone here would be able to shed some light on what the issue may be... Sorry for the lengthy post, by the way.

Difficulty going into 1st when at a stop - seems much easier to throw into 1st while still slightly rolling, approaching a stop. It's often effortless if you go into 1st gear this way.

At times, Its seemingly impossible to go into reverse.. After a few tries it eventually goes in. I know the E92 has no synchros in R and 1st, not sure if that's common or not..

Gear changes from 1st to 2nd and 3rd feel very notchy. Sometimes you'll shift into 2nd, and you'd think it's all the way in but the gear actually grinds when you let out the clutch.

If, at a stop, while the car is in 1st and you really rev the car hard, even with the clutch in ALL the way the car seems to creep forward.

When driving at let's say 2-2.5k RPM in 4th gear, then stomp on it, the car hesitates a couple times right after you punch the throttle, then smooths out afterwards.

The clutch does not slip at all. Grabs hard

Transmission fluid has not been changed in 100,000kms.. Bad, I know. But he obviously did not pay attention to regular service intervals. Were going to start with that, but my question is.. Would neglecting a service such as that ruin anything? Do these symptoms indicate that the tranny oil needs to be changed badly?

One more totally weird thing.... When you floor it in 1st, the clutch pedal dumps itself into the floor, and when you press it in to change to 2nd, it seems to "stick" to the floor. Whenever the revs are up high, the clutch pedal feels a lot softer and easier to depress.

That's about it.. Sorry again for the length, but I was hoping to narrow a few things down before taking it to a shop.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
exmowner
Major
exmowner's Avatar
Canada
73
Rep
1,186
Posts

Drives: 16 M4 MW DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshpots View Post
Hey everyone. My Fathers M3 (2008) has had some clutch issues for the past little while, and I was wondering if anyone here would be able to shed some light on what the issue may be... Sorry for the lengthy post, by the way.

Difficulty going into 1st when at a stop - seems much easier to throw into 1st while still slightly rolling, approaching a stop. It's often effortless if you go into 1st gear this way.

At times, Its seemingly impossible to go into reverse.. After a few tries it eventually goes in. I know the E92 has no synchros in R and 1st, not sure if that's common or not..

Gear changes from 1st to 2nd and 3rd feel very notchy. Sometimes you'll shift into 2nd, and you'd think it's all the way in but the gear actually grinds when you let out the clutch.

If, at a stop, while the car is in 1st and you really rev the car hard, even with the clutch in ALL the way the car seems to creep forward.

When driving at let's say 2-2.5k RPM in 4th gear, then stomp on it, the car hesitates a couple times right after you punch the throttle, then smooths out afterwards.

The clutch does not slip at all. Grabs hard

Transmission fluid has not been changed in 100,000kms.. Bad, I know. But he obviously did not pay attention to regular service intervals. Were going to start with that, but my question is.. Would neglecting a service such as that ruin anything? Do these symptoms indicate that the tranny oil needs to be changed badly?

One more totally weird thing.... When you floor it in 1st, the clutch pedal dumps itself into the floor, and when you press it in to change to 2nd, it seems to "stick" to the floor. Whenever the revs are up high, the clutch pedal feels a lot softer and easier to depress.

That's about it.. Sorry again for the length, but I was hoping to narrow a few things down before taking it to a shop.

Thanks!!
Dude you realize your embarrassing a nation ....right?
__________________
2016-F82 M4 MW DCT
2013-F10 M5 B&O AMS DP DCT (GONE)
2014-F32 435xi AW 6SP (SOLD)
2013-Ducati 1199R
2006-E90 325i winter ride
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
MikeD
Banned
8
Rep
444
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Time to sell car, that failing, fix clutch and syncros
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Jab555
Private
3
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black Metallic E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kirkland, WA

iTrader: (1)

The clutch is never fully disengaged when you are sitting in first gear with the clutch depressed. It has some slight drag which may be why the car creeps forward a little? You must be revving the piss out of it though. Search around on the forums, these manual transmissions tend to be very notchy with the 1st to 2nd gear shift. It should get better as the transmission fluid warms up. As for not being able to shift it into reverse, this happens to me a lot after my car has been sitting for a while. I usually just shift into a few other gears and let the car roll back a bit and it will go into reverse fine. This happens in my 97 M3 as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Petros
Banned
50
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

First of all you need to flush that manual gearbox fluid as soon as possible! You also probably have air in the clutch line. Did your brakes ever wear out to the max or your brake fluid run low? The clutch uses the same reservoir so that might have introduced air into the system. Have the clutch and brake lines properly bled with fresh fluid. If that still doesn't work you might need to replace some mechanical components. You might have a bad master cylinder or throwout bearing, or maybe the clutch itself is worn out.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
thekurgan's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
3,517
Posts

Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Dude you realize your embarrassing a nation ....right?
[you're] doing different?
__________________
02 E39M5 | TiAg/Schwartz | Tubi Rumore | Ultimate Ti Pedals | E60 SSK | Jim Blanton 3.45 40/100% | Coby Alcantara | StrongStrut STB
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
freshpots
Registered
1
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: VW GTI
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Dude you realize your embarrassing a nation ....right?
You realize *you're* an asshat?

With exception of the douchetwat above, thanks everyone for the input.

The transmission fluid will be replaced as soon as possible, but he's trading the thing in asap for a 335d. His mid life crisis is over, I guess!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
dmk08
Lieutenant General
dmk08's Avatar
United_States
3027
Rep
10,763
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 & 4Runner
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshpots View Post
You realize *you're* an asshat?

With exception of the douchetwat above, thanks everyone for the input.

The transmission fluid will be replaced as soon as possible, but he's trading the thing in asap for a 335d. His mid life crisis is over, I guess!
M3 is a midlife crisis car?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
exmowner
Major
exmowner's Avatar
Canada
73
Rep
1,186
Posts

Drives: 16 M4 MW DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
[you're] doing different?
Funny story,
__________________
2016-F82 M4 MW DCT
2013-F10 M5 B&O AMS DP DCT (GONE)
2014-F32 435xi AW 6SP (SOLD)
2013-Ducati 1199R
2006-E90 325i winter ride
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
exmowner
Major
exmowner's Avatar
Canada
73
Rep
1,186
Posts

Drives: 16 M4 MW DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshpots View Post
You realize *you're* an asshat?

With exception of the douchetwat above, thanks everyone for the input.

The transmission fluid will be replaced as soon as possible, but he's trading the thing in asap for a 335d. His mid life crisis is over, I guess!
douchetwat? New one, props
__________________
2016-F82 M4 MW DCT
2013-F10 M5 B&O AMS DP DCT (GONE)
2014-F32 435xi AW 6SP (SOLD)
2013-Ducati 1199R
2006-E90 325i winter ride
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
jc05e46m3
Colonel
jc05e46m3's Avatar
131
Rep
2,668
Posts

Drives: '15 Z06
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW AR

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
M3 is a midlife crisis car?

His father's mid-life crisis may have included the purchase of this car. He never stated that this was a mid-life crisis car. You're reading into it.

I bought my E92 as a quarter-life crisis car. Wasn't just the car though, it included it and other expenditures.
__________________
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO
'15 MK7 GTI - APR Stage 2
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
modkrazy's Avatar
126
Rep
1,530
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: tx

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
M3 is a midlife crisis car?
Yes. You're old. Time to retire and trade it in for a Chrysler.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
97
Rep
701
Posts

Drives: '09 e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
Ryguy29
TrizzlemyniZzzlE3
15
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: Sparkling graphite m3 coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Merrick ny

iTrader: (0)

not the clutch. you need new manual transmission fluid...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #15
dmk08
Lieutenant General
dmk08's Avatar
United_States
3027
Rep
10,763
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 & 4Runner
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Yes. You're old. Time to retire and trade it in for a Chrysler.
If sports cars are an indicator I've been going through one since I was 16. When i think mid-life crisis car I think base 911.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
Ludey
Second Lieutenant
9
Rep
201
Posts

Drives: 2015 Turbo S
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clt

iTrader: (0)

I have a DCT, so I can't offer personal experience with the manual on the M3s. However, on previous manual transmission cars, I've had similar problems with the difficulty going in to 1st and reverse. For that specifically, I would double clutch it. IE put the shifter in neutral, let out the clutch, then push it into first. It should smoothly slide in at this point. In that case, it was a synchro wear problem, which was something that I was able to live with for the short amount of time I planned on keeping the car.

The other problems are foreign to me, but if it were me, I'd be concerned. Personally, my advice would be to just take it to the dealer and get a professional diagnosis of the problem. Then take it from there - if you're father is willing to pony up the dough for the repair, then go for it. If not, you'll be facing a tough selling decision. But at least you'll have your arms around the scope of the fix.

The bottom line is you have a problem that is only going to get worse with time - it's not going to fix itself. And the sooner you diagnose it properly, the more options you'll have available to you. Waiting and just posting up here on the forum is only going to delay things while the problem worsens. You certainly don't want to get stuck on the side of the road with a dead transmission - then you'll really be in a tough spot.

GL with it... who knows, maybe it is just fluid and/or air in the lines.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
Vanmarsenille
In On The Kill Taker
Vanmarsenille's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: 2013 E93 M3; 2016 RR HSE
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshpots View Post
You realize *you're* an asshat?

With exception of the douchetwat above, thanks everyone for the input.

The transmission fluid will be replaced as soon as possible, but he's trading the thing in asap for a 335d. His mid life crisis is over, I guess!
Interesting second post. You must have read all of Dale Carnegie's books.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST