BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

"Chasing a Porsche 997 GT3 in a BMW E92 M3 Part 2"

///M Club of Houston track day @ MSR Houston. This was my first time going clockwise (CW) at MSR Houston. I finally managed to catch and pass the same Porsche 997 GT3 from my previous video. I also missed an apex, went off line and almost spun on my final lap. Thanks to Phil and Richard for organizing a great event.

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nice driving! You seemed to be hitting the Apexes more consistently than last time, though it was your fist time doing it CW. Feels good catching and passing "faster" cars, doesn't it?
      02-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Good driving, especially considering it was your first time. You pick up the line pretty quickly.

One tip if you drive clockwise again through the carousel. That "turn" is crowned, so if you can stay closer to the inside you get a bit more camber and can carry some more speed. You'll notice two yellow spots on the inside. I have seen good drivers actually touch both. I can't hit the first one, but if I am touching and parallel to the second one then I can roll into the gas a bit more agressively. Otherwise, I have to limit my throttle to stay on track and keep back from kicking out. From there, I am trying to use as much throttle to push me to the outside so that I can set up to come parallel back into the inside of the end of the carousel to set up for mid apex turn 1.

Denis
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
Nice driving! You seemed to be hitting the Apexes more consistently than last time, though it was your fist time doing it CW. Feels good catching and passing "faster" cars, doesn't it?
Thanks! Except for the last lap, where I almost spun. This was my second session going this direction. Yes, and catching faster drivers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Good driving, especially considering it was your first time. You pick up the line pretty quickly.

One tip if you drive clockwise again through the carousel. That "turn" is crowned, so if you can stay closer to the inside you get a bit more camber and can carry some more speed. You'll notice two yellow spots on the inside. I have seen good drivers actually touch both. I can't hit the first one, but if I am touching and parallel to the second one then I can roll into the gas a bit more agressively. Otherwise, I have to limit my throttle to stay on track and keep back from kicking out. From there, I am trying to use as much throttle to push me to the outside so that I can set up to come parallel back into the inside of the end of the carousel to set up for mid apex turn 1.

Denis
Thanks Denis! Funny you mention that, because I wanted to try the inside line after watching others taking that line last week (CCW). My instructor from TDE wanted me to take middle line, believing there was more grip there. If the inside has a slight camber, then what you say makes sense. I will definately try the inside line next time in either direction.

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

nice work. once again.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
nice work. once again.
Thanks! Just when I am starting to get the hang of this, I will have to take a break. My wife and I are expecting our first child, so I will be trading in track days for stroller days. Not complaining! I'm really looking forward to this new adventure.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho281 View Post
Thanks! Just when I am starting to get the hang of this, I will have to take a break. My wife and I are expecting our first child, so I will be trading in track days for stroller days. Not complaining! I'm really looking forward to this new adventure.
Congrats on the addition to the family!
      02-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
Congrats on the addition to the family!
Thanks man!

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Had fun watching...looks like you're moving! Congrats on the new:
      02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Had fun watching...looks like you're moving! Congrats on the new:
Thanks man! I will definately be getting the little one some cool racing gear!

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Great job! Are you sure this was your first time?

A couple tips to hopefully help you go faster.

1. stay a little longer in the key hole before you make the left

2. go deeper before you make the right into the bus stop. This is arguably one of the most important corners of the track because it is followed by a long straight (you are on it for over 20 seconds). Remember, slow in fast out on corners like these

3. as Denis mentioned, try to touch the second series of curb stones in the carousel, then gradually push to the outside. This will set you up perfectly for the right turn against the wall.

Well done again!
      02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
Great job! Are you sure this was your first time?

A couple tips to hopefully help you go faster.

1. stay a little longer in the key hole before you make the left

2. go deeper before you make the right into the bus stop. This is arguably one of the most important corners of the track because it is followed by a long straight (you are on it for over 20 seconds). Remember, slow in fast out on corners like these

3. as Denis mentioned, try to touch the second series of curb stones in the carousel, then gradually push to the outside. This will set you up perfectly for the right turn against the wall.

Well done again!
Thanks Richard! Yes, this was my first time and the second session on MSRH (CW). After watching my vid, I realized, several areas such as you and Denis mentioned that I can make up some time. Yes, you are right, "Slow in Fast out". It was a great event, thanks to you and Phil.

Appreciate 0