BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #287
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Nissan rep told me they'll void your warranty for dyno, tracking, or any mods, above and beyond the LC. This was on an 09, after they changed the LC rpms.
And BMW will void your warrantee if you run out of gas
Which one sounds worse to you??

OP: Go try one out if you can find a dealer that will let you. It's the only way you'll know for sure if you find the ride too stiff. I had an EVO IX for a while. I had heard about the ride and tiny gas tank but went and tried it and it was worth the compromise for me at the time. You might not find it that tough but you won't know until you experience it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #288
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

So I swapped vehicles with the wife this morning. She wanted to show her coworkers the GTR.

I hate to say it but the M3 feels like a snail in comparison.....

The other thing is that the M3 door is quite a bit longer than the GTR door, the GTR opens more when in a tighter space which is kinda nice.

Power in the M3 is way more linear though, more predictable....
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #289
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

I just got back from a couple weeks in southern Montana and Wyoming(Red Lodge Yellowstone etc). I drove my GTR hard up Beartooth Pass several times and have to say it is so much faster than anything I've driven there before(E46 M3, CLS55, M6, CLK63Black) its not even funny. I'm now more of a believer in the Nissan 'ring time claims than ever before. The thing holds corners so well and accelerates out of them like a bullet.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #290
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
I just got back from a couple weeks in southern Montana and Wyoming(Red Lodge Yellowstone etc). I drove my GTR hard up Beartooth Pass several times and have to say it is so much faster than anything I've driven there before(E46 M3, CLS55, M6, CLK63Black) its not even funny. I'm now more of a believer in the Nissan 'ring time claims than ever before. The thing holds corners so well and accelerates out of them like a bullet.

Who needs the ring. You look like you have your own personal one there with a nice death drop on any mistake.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #291
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
So what would you guys rather have... GTR, or an 600hp M3
I'd take a stock GTR over the SC M3. An M3 with that kind of power will have wheel spin galore... would be difficult to control.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #292
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
I'd take a stock GTR over the SC M3. An M3 with that kind of power will have wheel spin galore... would be difficult to control.
+100
I would want to try out the M3 first. I think the reason it's such a great package is similar to the Mazda MX5 idea. Perfectly matched power and chassis giving beautiful balance. If you mess with the formula you can throw the whole thing off.

Wouldn't say no to a 600bhp M3 though
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #293
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
So I swapped vehicles with the wife this morning. She wanted to show her coworkers the GTR.

I hate to say it but the M3 feels like a snail in comparison.....

The other thing is that the M3 door is quite a bit longer than the GTR door, the GTR opens more when in a tighter space which is kinda nice.

Power in the M3 is way more linear though, more predictable....
Met up with a 09 GTR owner here on the Microsoft campus and I was finally able to experience the GTR first hand without restrictions. Totally agree with your comparison.

Here's how I think it compares.

1. The acceleration is brutal. Unlike anything I've experienced, except maybe in some modified Vette’s I’ve been in. Nissan did an amazing job hiding the turbo lag. Went from 0-120ish and it slingshots you forward. The M3 afterwards felt downright slow. It made the M3 feel like a normal car.

The power delivery on the M3 is smoother. The power is much more linear, which I think makes the M3 more predictable. Easier throttle control for nipping off apexes in 2nd gear for example. The GTR just gets out of the hole and hangs on to the curves with so much more force.

I can now understand why people say the car sounds like a vacuum cleaner. It sounds very clinical. There’s nothing special about the sound. You hear the swooshing of the turbos, but the turbos are so small you can’t hear them above the road noise (tires). It’s like an appliance making a bunch of noise when it’s working hard.

The M3 V8 sound is much better! It has a nice roar and growl. You really feel a mechanical connection to the engine when the M3 roars. I have a stock exhaust and can only image how it would sound with an exhaust. +1 for the V8 here. Other then the linear power delivery and the sound, the GTR engine beats the M3 on every front. Well maybe expect for looks. The M3 engine bay is much nicer.

Aftermarket exhaust + ECU will void all warranties on the GTR, so the stock sound is what you get.

2. The brakes again are unreal. This might be my favorite part of the car. After several bursts of speeds up to 120 and braking from 120 down to 0, the change in acceleration made me a bit nauseous. The g-force deceleration is just amazing. These brakes make the M3 feel mushy. It’s the difference between riding my Ducati 1098 with Brembo monoblocs versus the standard brakes on my Yamaha FZ6 sport touring bike.

3. The interior in the GTR includes a lot of high quality materials. However, I would give the overall design and quality to the M3. The M3's interior is both better designed and just seems more modern and fresh. With the M3 taking the win for interior design and quality, the GTR just has an overall more sporty cockpit. The GTR seats are sportier and hold you in so much better. The steering wheel shape, size and design is superior to the M3. The adjustability of the steering wheel, column and seats allow you to better fine tune your driving position. Inside, the GTR hides its size very well. Cockpit is small and tidy - Similar to a jet fighter. The M3 cockpit feels much more utilitarian after you've just been in a GTR. I would say, it’s the difference between flying a nice sea-plane (m3) versus flying a jet fighter (gtr) . The GTR seating position makes you feel like you’re in attack mode all the time.

Oh, and the light color headliner is hideous on the GTR. If I had the GTR, the first thing I would do is replace out the headliner with black cloth or Alcantara.

4. The computer in the GTR, though “Playstation” looking, provides quick access to a lot of very useful information. Tire pressure, temps on everything, g-force, steering angle, etc. I found this to be great data. Especially when analyzing if the car is ready for attack.

5. Rear seats are useless, except for maybe kids or small people. The way the roof slopes back makes the area very small.

6. Not a fan of the 2009 white. It is way too creamy looking. If white is what you want, the 2010 is way nicer.

7. The car looks purposeful in real life. I’m torn in photos but love it in real life. The car gets looks. While driving down the freeway, we had guys in Bentley R’s and Aston’s who couldn’t stop looking. It is both wider and longer then the M3. The M3 looks feminine when parked next to the GTR.

8. In terms of cabin noise, I really didn’t hear anything out of the ordinary. The biggest factor for noise was the run flat tires. The suspension was smooth and you really can feel the difference between comfort and R mode. I can definitely drive this car daily. It is totally livable.

9. Nothing to be said about the transmission. It is flawless for a DCT. Super smooth. Click up and down when you want without drama. I can see how people can think that it’s a bit clinical compared to a 6MT. I can see how you can miss a 6MT.

10. The doors are much easier to get in and out of compared to the E92 M3. The doors are nice and short. I love the door handles.

11. Bose stereo is nice. Maybe it’s not as nice as premium sound on the M3 but more than adequate.

Overall

Power, Drivetrain, Brakes, etc – GTR
Interior Quality – M3
Interior Usability and Effectiveness (Based on sport preferences) - GTR
Industrial Design – M3 Slightly. I think the M3 is a smaller, sexier looking car, even though I think the GTR is amazing looking.
Overall Value – GTR
Fun factor – M3(6MT) vs GTR (Different experiences, both fun in different ways), M3(DCT) versus GTR (GTR, hands down)

With 09's going for low to mid 70’s and used cars dipping into the mid to high 60’s, I think the GTR is a hell of a deal. If the economy wasn’t so bad and I could get fair price for the M. I would be all over the GTR.

Now for those who are on the fence about the GTR. If you are planning on modding your M3 for better performance, (dumping 15K+ mods for brakes, full system, ecu, diff, etc.), understand that you’ll probably end up with a car that is worse as a daily driver, not as fast, and probably running without any factory warranty. If you like the GTR, I’d consider just driving the M3, as is or with slight mods and look into moving into a GTR in the future. Personally after experiencing it, I believe you will be in a better car, have less to worry about, spend less on mods that don’t carry any value at resale and enjoy a purposely built car that carries full drivetrain warranty up to 60K miles.

If you’re an old school die-hard 6MT type guy or need 4 doors, then your choice is easy. If those things aren’t important, save your pennies and get the GTR.

Oh and if you don’t want sleepless nights thinking about the how to get from an M3 into a GTR, don’t drive the car. It will jade you.

Last edited by michaeldorian; 08-05-2009 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #294
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
So what would you guys rather have... GTR, or an 600hp M3
Depends. If you're set on a DCT and Coupe, GTR hands down. Otherwise, if you're set on 6MT or need 4 doors, M3 of course. If you're set on coupe and 6MT, besides a GT3 or R8 in 6MT, I don't think there's any other car I would want to own given the 6MT requirement.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #295
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Maserati spyder/BMW z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Met up with a 09 GTR owner here on the Microsoft campus and I was finally able to experience the GTR first hand without restrictions. Totally agree with your comparison.

1. The acceleration is brutal. Unlike anything I've experienced, except maybe in some modified Vette’s I’ve been in. Nissan did an amazing job hiding the turbo lag. Went from 0-120ish and it slingshots you forward. The M3 afterwards felt downright slow. It made the M3 feel like a normal car.

The power delivery on the M3 is smoother. The power is much more linear, which I think makes the M3 more predictable. Easier throttle control for nipping off apexes in 2nd gear for example. The GTR just gets out of the hole and hangs on to the curves with so much more force.

I can now understand, why people say the car sounds like a vacuum cleaner. It sounds very clinical. There’s nothing special about the sound. You here the swooshing of the turbos, but the turbos are so small, you can’t hear them above the road noise (tires.) It’s like an appliance making a bunch of noise when it’s working hard.

The M3 V8 sound is much better! It has a nice roar and growl. You really feel a mechanical connection to the engine when the M3 roars. I have a stock exhaust and can only image how it would sound with an exhaust. +1 for the V8 here. Other then the linear power delivery and the sound, the GTR engine beats the M3 on every front. Well maybe expect for looks. The M3 engine bay is much nicer.

Aftermarket exhaust + ECU will void all warranties on the GTR, so the stock sound is what you get.

2. The brakes again are unreal. This might be my favorite part of the car. After several bursts of speed and braking from 120 down to 0, the change in acceleration made me a bit nauseous. The g-force deceleration is just amazing. These brakes make the M3 feel mushy. It’s the difference between riding my Ducati 1098 with Brembo monoblocs versus the standard brakes on my Yamaha FZ6 sport touring.

3. The interior in the GTR includes a lot of high quality materials. However, I would give the overall design and quality to the M3. The M3's interior is both better designed and just seems more modern and fresh. With the M3 taking the win for interior design and quality, the GTR is just has an overall more sporty cockpit. The GTR seats are sportier and just hold you in so much better. The steering wheel shape size and design is superior to the M3. The adjustability of the steering wheel, column and seats allow you to better fine tune your driving position. Inside, the GTR hides its size very well. Cockpit is small and tidy - Similar to a jet fighter. The M3 cockpit feels much more utilitarian afterwards. I would say, it’s the difference between flying a nice sea-plane (m3) versus flying a jet fighter (gtr) . The GTR seating position makes you feel like you’re in attack mode all the time.

Oh, and the light color headliner is hideous on the GTR. If I had the GTR, the first thing I would do is replace out the headliner with black cloth or Alcantara.

4. The computer in the GTR, though “Playstation” looking, provides quick access to a lot of very useful information. Tire pressure, temps on everything, g-force, steering angle, etc. I found this to be great data, when analyzing if the car is ready for attack.

5. Rear seats are useless, except for maybe kids or small people. The way the roof slopes back makes the area very small.

6. Not a fan of the 2009 White. It is way too creamy looking. If white is what you want, the 2010 is way nicer.

7. The car looks purposeful in real life. I’m torn in photos but love it in real life. The car gets looks. While driving down the freeway, we had guys in Bentley R’s and Aston’s who couldn’t stop looking. It is both wider and longer then the M3. The M3 looks feminine when parked next to the GTR.

8. In terms of cabin noise, I really didn’t hear anything out of the ordinary. The biggest factor for noise was the run flat tires. The suspension was smooth and you really can feel the difference between comfort and R mode. I can definitely drive this car daily. It is totally livable.

9. Nothing to be said about the transmission. It is flawless for a DCT. Super smoother and click up and down when you want without drama. I can see how people can think that it’s a bit clinical compared to a 6MT. I can see how you can miss a 6MT.

10. The doors are much easier to get in and out of compared to the E92 M3. The doors are nice and short. I love the door handles.
11. Bose stereo is nice. Maybe it’s not as nice as premium sound on the M3 but more than adequate.

Overall

Interior Quality – M3
Industrial Design – M3 Slightly. I think the M3 is a smaller, sexier looking car, even though I think the GTR is amazing looking.
Overall Value – GTR
Fun factor – M3(6MT) vs GTR (Different experiences, both fun in different ways), M3(DCT) versus GTR (GTR, hands down)

With 09's going for low to mid 70’s and used cars dipping into the mid to high 60’s, I think the GTR is a hell of a deal. If the economy wasn’t so bad and I could get fair price for the M. I would be all over the GTR.

Now for those who are on the fence about the GTR. If you are planning on modding your M3 for better performance, (dumping 15K+ mods for brakes, full system, ecu, diff, etc.), understand that you’ll probably end up with a car that is worse as a daily driver, not as fast, and probably running without any factory warranty. If you like the GTR, I’d consider just driving the M3, as is or with slight mods and look into moving into a GTR in the future. Personally after experiencing it, I believe you will be in a better car, have less to worry about, spend less on mods that don’t carry any value at resale and enjoy a purposely built car that carries full drive train warranty up to 60K miles.

If you’re an old school die-hard 6MT type guy or need 4 doors, then your choice is easy. If those things aren’t important, save your pennies and get the GTR.

Oh and if you don’t want sleepless nights thinking about the how to get from an M3 into a GTR, don’t drive the car. It will jade you.

This is quite possibly the best comparison review ever! Bravo my man! Bravo!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #296
Mklapp
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW M3 DCT

Besides the fact the GTR is the most expensive car to insure because it is the most stolen or most likely to be stolen idk something like that and the fact if your put one mod on it it automatically avoids warranty it just isnt worth it to me.. plus they look weird.. but i will give it to nissan the GTR is a wicked fast car and is a beast on the track just unpractical to own one
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #297
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mklapp View Post
Besides the fact the GTR is the most expensive car to insure because it is the most stolen or most likely to be stolen idk something like that and the fact if your put one mod on it it automatically avoids warranty it just isnt worth it to me.. plus they look weird.. but i will give it to nissan the GTR is a wicked fast car and is a beast on the track just unpractical to own one
My GTR costs $380 LESS per yer to insure than my M3. Identical coverage.

The "warranty" issue is getting old too. Saying that all warranty is void, say because I installed a mid pipe is purely untrue.

Find me a single instance where this has occurred & I'll eat my underwear on Youtube. Hmmm......
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #298
ronn16E90
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 & E92 m3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [9.00]
like they say "M" is the most powerful letter in the world but "R" means invincibility. hehe Id go for GTR just to try a diff brand.GTR is more eye catching but the M3 is more classy
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #299
Quacker
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post

I can now understand why people say the car sounds like a vacuum cleaner. It sounds very clinical. There’s nothing special about the sound. You hear the swooshing of the turbos, but the turbos are so small you can’t hear them above the road noise (tires). It’s like an appliance making a bunch of noise when it’s working hard.

2. The brakes again are unreal. This might be my favorite part of the car. After several bursts of speeds up to 120 and braking from 120 down to 0, the change in acceleration made me a bit nauseous. The g-force deceleration is just amazing. These brakes make the M3 feel mushy. It’s the difference between riding my Ducati 1098 with Brembo monoblocs versus the standard brakes on my Yamaha FZ6 sport touring bike.

3. The interior in the GTR includes a lot of high quality materials. However, I would give the overall design and quality to the M3. The M3's interior is both better designed and just seems more modern and fresh. With the M3 taking the win for interior design and quality, the GTR just has an overall more sporty cockpit. The GTR seats are sportier and hold you in so much better. The steering wheel shape, size and design is superior to the M3. The adjustability of the steering wheel, column and seats allow you to better fine tune your driving position. Inside, the GTR hides its size very well. Cockpit is small and tidy - Similar to a jet fighter. The M3 cockpit feels much more utilitarian after you've just been in a GTR. I would say, it’s the difference between flying a nice sea-plane (m3) versus flying a jet fighter (gtr) . The GTR seating position makes you feel like you’re in attack mode all the time.

4. The computer in the GTR, though “Playstation” looking, provides quick access to a lot of very useful information. Tire pressure, temps on everything, g-force, steering angle, etc. I found this to be great data. Especially when analyzing if the car is ready for attack.

6. Not a fan of the 2009 white. It is way too creamy looking. If white is what you want, the 2010 is way nicer.

9. Nothing to be said about the transmission. It is flawless for a DCT. Super smooth. Click up and down when you want without drama. I can see how people can think that it’s a bit clinical compared to a 6MT. I can see how you can miss a 6MT.

Overall

Interior Quality – M3
Overall Value – GTR

Now for those who are on the fence about the GTR. If you are planning on modding your M3 for better performance, (dumping 15K+ mods for brakes, full system, ecu, diff, etc.), understand that you’ll probably end up with a car that is worse as a daily driver, not as fast, and probably running without any factory warranty. If you like the GTR, I’d consider just driving the M3, as is or with slight mods and look into moving into a GTR in the future. Personally after experiencing it, I believe you will be in a better car, have less to worry about, spend less on mods that don’t carry any value at resale and enjoy a purposely built car that carries full drivetrain warranty up to 60K miles.

I would have to say i agree with almost everything you said, except for the interior and the looks.
The interior of the M3 looks like it is of better quality because of the light colors making it feel more welcoming, whereas the interior of the GTR is all black and dark. If you look at each interior item from both cars independently, you will find that the GTR's interior is not inferior to the M3's at all.
As for looks, well the M3 looks like any regular 3 series on steroids, whereas the GTR is unmistakable. Though, the front of the GTR looks atrocious when viewed head on and looks like a cat fish.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #300
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I would have to say i agree with almost everything you said, except for the interior and the looks.
The interior of the M3 looks like it is of better quality because of the light colors making it feel more welcoming, whereas the interior of the GTR is all black and dark. If you look at each interior item from both cars independently, you will find that the GTR's interior is not inferior to the M3's at all.
As for looks, well the M3 looks like any regular 3 series on steroids, whereas the GTR is unmistakable. Though, the front of the GTR looks atrocious when viewed head on and looks like a cat fish.
It only has light colours if you spec light colours. Mine is all black bar the aluminum strips. If I'd specced carbon it would have been completely black. Personally I think black is a classier look in any car and things only start to get tacky when you try to brighten it up and turn it into a boudoir .
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #301
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mklapp View Post
And I point out again that if you run out of fuel in the M3 it VOIDs the warrantee if anything happens. I think it's infinitely more acceptable to void a warrantee for modding than running out of fuel.

Either way. It's only if you cause damage by the mod that the warrantee is voided on the GTR and only if you cause damage running out of fuel on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #302
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

First of all, extremely well done on the very detailed review michaeldorian.

The GT-R was one of the top choices on my list before I ordered my M3. The main reason I was heading for it was because it was almost $10-$15 more than the M3 I was about to order, and that means that I'm only $10-15k away from getting a SUPER CAR...Which is not too big of a deal when I'm already spending close to $60k on an M3.

At the end, I felt that I would be more happier with the M3 Sedan.

My personal reasons for choosing the M3:

1.) 6 speed manual

3.) NA V8 power that revs very, very high (And sounds much better, especially with an aftermarket exhaust system)

2.) Feels more nimble to drive (From the professional reviews that I've read)

3.) 4 doors (and plus I like the more compact design compared to the larger GT-R)

4.) It's a BMW (no offense in owning a Nisssan since the GT-R is a special car regardless of the brand)

5.) I'm probably saving more money by owning an M3 (correct me if I've mistaken since I've heard that the maintainence on the GT-R can be very steep)

6.) And lastly, I feel that the M3 requires more input from the driver, especially when it has a true manual.

Don't get me wrong, but I tip my hat in front of the GT-R. One day I hope to own a SUPER CAR like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #303
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not enough room!!!

Coming back to the original OP question;

The only reason(s) i see you not getting a GTR is if you:
1-want a manual
2-want a sedan
3-want a cabrio
4-want to save money
5-want a n/a engine
6-want a usable back seat

If you check one of those then the M3 would be your sensible choice

If you don't care about those points and are just looking for speed! Get the GT-R it is still the bargain of a lifetime

This is how i look when making a difficult decision on 2 comparable buys
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #304
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
6-want a usable back seat
The back seats in the GTR are as good or better than the M3 coupe so you still need the sedan to get better back seats than it.

To the OP again I don't see them as competing cars to be honest. Just go try one and see if it tickles you fancy. And let us know what you think.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #305
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep

The OP already went with a GT-R! And has since posted he is happy with it! Mine is sitting outside and the only thing that is getting a bit irritating is the number of people flocking, asking questions, tailgating, taking their attention off the road and almost crashing.

Honestly I never thought the car would get "this much" attention. Don't get me wrong, I like it sometimes, but it's almost at an "overboard" stage. My Maserati used to get some nice attention, but nothing close to this!

Anyway, agreed with most here, A car is a personal choice, and there is no "right" answer, there is the "best answers" for your budget, requirements, and finally subjective taste
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #306
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosety2009 View Post
The OP already went with a GT-R! And has since posted he is happy with it! Mine is sitting outside and the only thing that is getting a bit irritating is the number of people flocking, asking questions, tailgating, taking their attention off the road and almost crashing.

Honestly I never thought the car would get "this much" attention. Don't get me wrong, I like it sometimes, but it's almost at an "overboard" stage. My Maserati used to get some nice attention, but nothing close to this!

Anyway, agreed with most here, A car is a personal choice, and there is no "right" answer, there is the "best answers" for your budget, requirements, and finally subjective taste
I also agree about the attention thing.

I'm always getting the thumbs up or the twenty questions from people young and old.

I think that the car has far less snob value than a BMW.

The cars personality seems to be very "approachable"
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #307
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosety2009 View Post

That's what freaks me about the GTR the most too.
I thought my Mercs or Bimmers would attract more gawkers but it's not even close.
People follow me in my GTR, gather around it in parking lots, and snap pictures of it (sometimes with me in it) all the time.
I had a guy follow me in my private underground parking garage at 2am just to see it. Creepy stuff like that happens too much.
I wouldn't mind it if there were a nice cross section of people involved but the vast majority of the GTR gawker stalkers are 15-25 year males that spend entirely too much time modifying their civics, playing their PS3s and too little time working and be productive so they could actually afford the car they covet. Now if their 23 year old girlfriends were stalking me I'd probably be singing a different tune.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #308
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep

This just in!!!

Camaro Tuner To Take on GT-R With Turbo V6 Camaro Project

LONGVIEW, Texas — East Texas Muscle Cars is developing a turbocharged 2010 V6 Camaro with the ultimate goal of beating the Nissan GT-R around the Nürburgring Nordschliefe.

Rather than go the V8 route, "We wanted to do something a little different," says company spokesman Mike White. "We're seeing a lot of interest in something like this for the V6 Camaros."

The car, currently under development, will initially be a one-off to prove the concept and take the pulse of the market. Built with a forged crank, rods and pistons, the V6 will receive a modified Squires Turbo Systems remote-mount turbocharger kit and produce around 500 horsepower.

Other changes include a Baer big brake kit, lightweight 20-inch iForged wheels and Pedders coil-overs and bushings to address "the stock Camaro's tremendous understeer and cradle walk."

The company estimates the Camaro's final weight to measure about 3,750 pounds. "This will not be a race-prepped car. Anyone can build a racecar to beat a street car," White continues. "We will have a full interior and be running 275/35 Bridgestone RE050 [street] tires. Everyone knows the GT-R wasn't running street tires at the 'Ring," White continues, referring to the GT-R's results in the hands of Nissan engineers.

Once sorted, the company plans to crate up and ship both the completed Camaro and a close acquaintance's personal GT-R to Germany to run hot laps of the Nürburgring. "We want to beat the GT-R's lap time."

The car will debut at the 2009 SEMA Show this year in the Squires Turbo Systems booth.

Inside Line says: A surprisingly ambitious project that promises to deal only in extremes. — Jason Kavanagh, Engineering Editor

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=154486
Appreciate 0