BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM
Closed Thread

01-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #23
KanosWRX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW 335i / 1994 Miata R

Just saw this article. Sort of related, OK is giving tickets to people driving at the same pace as right lane traffic in the left lane. Wish they would do that in Virginia.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/11/h...-in-left-lane/

The right lane really is the new left lane, its sad but true. You get all these dumb ass drivers in the left lane talking on their cell's just cruising along yet they are getting passed in the right lane. Seriously I wish I had some spikes on my car so I could puncture their tires.
      01-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #24
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
Spool -- how would you feel if I told you that, the car that was flashing its lights on you, had a passanger that was shot in the chest and they were trying to get him to the nearest ER as soon as they can, died because you slowed them by 2 min.?

i'm just messing with the OP, and it escalated into this discussion...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #25
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

BTW I loved the feeling of riding my bike with over 130-140ish...
You cant replace that rush with any car.
      01-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #26
Neek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition Coupe

lol amazing how these funny little threads take a life of their own...a little comment about how I confuse the two left-sided stalks on the steering wheel and now people are shooting each other on the highways!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #27
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
HAHAHAH I think I remember that day, when you got "raped" for doing 150 on your bike

yeah i was doing 150-155 and then car pulled out i had to slow down a bit and got nailed at 134...

it was tommysdogdad or something that tried to preach me about it, yet he does 90mph in his car which has 10x more force than a bike at 150...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep

In USA when I am on the highway, I am usually driving faster that everyone else, so I dont need to worry about being in the left lane and someone being behind me....

Occasionally I would get distracted by my radio, or cell phone, or my wife and I slow down a little, and then I try to move to the right before I even see any light flashing behind me, simply because I know how frustrating it is to be slowed down...

Here is a short story for those of you that dont have anything better to do:

One time when we had nothing to do, we decided to go fishing in the ocean, which is about 4 hours from where I live, we got on the highway and as soon as we left the busy areas of Atlanta, I gunned it.

At the time I had an '03 Accord V6 - I pressed the gas pedal all the way down, and released it when we got to Savannah, GA...My speed limiter was limiting me to 138 mph, and there were no other cars on the road, except for some guy that got behind me and did not leave me alone.
I was pretty surprised and frustrated actually that he stayed behind me the whole time. I did not think that he would have the balls to hang with me for 2 straight hours at full throttle.

Oh BTW I think he had an older Accord, not really sure but that is what his lights looked like
      01-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #29
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
This does not help the situation at all and you should not be traveling in the left lane - it is for passing. We have "flash to pass" in our cars for a good reason and the Europeans use it correctly - so should we.
+1, and most Italians will use the "left turn signal" to sort of say: "I would if I could, so move!"

Much more civil.
      01-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #30
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Time to go to lunch, im gonna drive in the left lane slowly too

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #31
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Look here speed racer, we all share the road. If speed limit is 65, 99% of the time im going with the flow of traffic and is going 80mph. If you are doing a 100 coming up on my ass and start flashing ur high beams as if i'm crawling, i'm gonna slam my brakes...
Why not just move over???
Is it your problem that the fast guy is breaking the law and may get in trouble? No.
Is it your problem that by slamming on brakes the only thing you're doing is putting yourself and your passangers in a great danger... No one should be in the left lane unless passing...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #32
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

I hate it when people slam on their brakes when I come up fast behind them and tailgate them until they move over. If you are all that worried about not getting into an accident that you feel I should slow down, YEAH real smart move, slam on your brakes and try to cause one...

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #33
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MC-G View Post
I hate it when people slam on their brakes when I come up fast behind them and tailgate them until they move over. If you are all that worried about not getting into an accident that you feel I should slow down, YEAH real smart move, slam on your brakes and try to cause one...
My experience shows that when I come up fast behind someone that drives slow, especially at night, they usually think that you are a cop, and that is why they panic and start driving even slower.
      01-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #34
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

learn how to drive, spool

What a jerk -- your 15 mph over is the magic number, is that it? So you're annoyed at people doing 3 mph over, but you've decided what the number should be. People doing 20 over can go around you, but you expected others to get out of the way.

The left lane is for passing. You have the right (in a few states, thankfully dwindling..) to do that speed, you're correct. Doesn't mean you're not an a hole. Get with the program and stop being a prick.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #35
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep

People just dont read anymore
      01-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #36
MorpheIS
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT, Sport, Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neek View Post
Seriously, the two left sided stalks are getting me dirty looks for this.
Same thing happened to me this morning! I attempted to adjust down my cruise control but ended up flashing the car in front of me. Whooops.

Nice color combo, btw.
      01-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #37
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisivan View Post
What a jerk -- your 15 mph over is the magic number, is that it? So you're annoyed at people doing 3 mph over, but you've decided what the number should be. People doing 20 over can go around you, but you expected others to get out of the way.

The left lane is for passing. You have the right (in a few states, thankfully dwindling..) to do that speed, you're correct. Doesn't mean you're not an a hole. Get with the program and stop being a prick.
Again, there is absolutely no reason for someone to do 5 over the limit in the left lane, unless passing a slover vehicle. There is no excuse for that. And faster drivers (again, the risk is up to them) have the right to be upset. And by just sitting in the left (CALLED PASSING!!!) lane just for the heck of it you are slowing the traffic, posing a danger in a sense that the faster guy behind you may try to to go around you to your right and...

THat is why most of the countries do have mandatory (and expensive) driver's schools -- to educate you on these things... We don't and that is why majority of drivers in this country suck...and have no chance getting around on narrow streets in Europe or Asia and have the highest rate of roadrage in the (civilized) world...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #38
35past3
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Look here speed racer, we all share the road. If speed limit is 65, 99% of the time im going with the flow of traffic and is going 80mph. If you are doing a 100 coming up on my ass and start flashing ur high beams as if i'm crawling, i'm gonna slam my brakes...
You are an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #39
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

It is getting ugly here and this thread should be closed...or moved to Political section
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #40
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
lol amazing how these funny little threads take a life of their own...a little comment about how I confuse the two left-sided stalks on the steering wheel and now people are shooting each other on the highways!!!!
+1...
I guess lots of folks failed to pass the reading comprehension portion of the English tests.....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #41
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwid View Post
I need reading glasses like you need lead in your ass.
No, now I know why you are so frustrated - You got raped by your father when you were 10 yrs old...

You clearly need a "shrink"
      01-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #42
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
If you are on the highway in front of me and I am coming up on you at a higher rate of speed then you are travelling...and I start flashing my high-beams at you...

...I am just trying to lower the set speed of my cruise control. Don't mind me. I'm very sorry.
In Europe that is the standard. I wish in the US we only used the left for passing not cruising.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #43
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog 6 View Post
In Europe that is the standard. I wish in the US we only used the left for passing not cruising.
There is another thread about a law some states have about cruising in the left lane. If we only had it in every state.
      01-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #44
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

A couple of observations from everyday experience on multi-lane highways:

1. More time and distance are required to go around the car ahead by changing lanes than would be required for the leading car to yield by changing lanes. This is especially noticeable when there is traffic in both lanes.

2. The time lost by the leading car changing lanes -- even if it has to slow to match its speed to the traffic in the next lane -- is minuscule compared to the time the following car loses if it cannot safely overtake.

These two factors explain why it's common courtesy to yield the passing lane to faster drivers.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread