BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

LA Racing Experience

So, I got to do 20 laps in a Nascar stock car at the Toyota Speedway in Irwindale, CA. It was a Bday present and must say it was pretty bad ass... Im not a big Nascar guy so I dont know much about the difference in cars, but apparently its two steps down from a Nascar Cup car.

I arrived, checked in, and hung out as some staff memebr began explaining some optional insurance. I know its probably a sucker ploy but when he said if you total the car, you owe $25,000, I figured, what the hell. Its only $89..... At the end, no one crashed but one did spin out.... Not even close the the wall.... Then you get called in the briefing room. Its about 50 min of rules and simple driving tips. Then your out to the track.

You wait around and watch other groups until your group is called. Then you meet at a tent where you get in racing pants and a jacket, gloves, helmet, and ear plug headphones. Then they drive you out the track in a golf cart. They tell you your car number and you head over.

You climb in where a guy starts explaining the car to you. Then you start getting instructions through the headphones. You start up and head to the track. I have never been in a full 5 point racing harness, and I will say, I could not move!!! My car was stick, so once on the track, you shift to 4th and stay there.

You do about 5 yellow or caution laps as they let you get the feel on the car. Then you hear "Green, green, green!!!" Thats when they start counting your laps. I will be honest and tell you that I did not think it would be that hard. Come on, 4 left turns, but it was more difficult then I thought. My braking and accelerating wasnt the best in the begining and the car didnt want to turn left on a 4 left turn race track. I was surprised how much I had to fight it to turn left... Finally I started getting the feel of it and I had it as pinned as I could. Passing is allowed with a spotter who tells you when to pass via the radio. It was a fun time and those cars are loud!!! I then found out that the lap record was 16.XX seconds. I was 4 seconds off the record time. So I was pleased. Mostly everyone was running around 25-28 sec lap times and I was in the low 20.xx's....

The only negative thing I would have to say is the track is super small!!!! It is a 1/2 mile oval track. So it goes really quick... Besides that, everything else was really cool. They let you drive as fast as you can and your spotter helps you out if he see's you can kind of drive. You hit about 120 mph on the straight away's and about 80 mph in the turns and you drive by your self. I would say definitely check it out.

I also just did the exotic car racing experience in Vegas. Two totally different things. The Lambo I drove was fast, it was a 1.5 mile long track, 11 turns and really fun. The only thing that sucked about that was you have an instructor sitting shotgun telling you how to drive, when to brake, when to shift, etc... In the Nascar experience, yeah you have a spotter talking to you on the radio, but its all up to you to remmeber braking points, apexing, etc... I loved the Exotic Car Experience but I think I liked the Nascar Experience a lot more.... I would post pics but its just me on the track, dont think anyone would really care to see that...

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Been there, done that. Bought 20 laps thru Groupon in December of 2010, and finally scheduled & did in on Nov 11, 2011.

100% agree that the track is darn small. It's a perfect track for drifting (which is why they have Formula D & other drift events there). Several participants were murmuring, I thought this was going to be run at the Autoclub Speedway (in Fontana). Oh, I wished...

Anyhow, it was over before I knew it, and I could've sworn that was less than 20 laps. But, later review of my videocam showed that it indeed was 20 laps... x)

Coincidentally, Speed Ventures was running their event in Autoclub Speedway that day, so went over there, got a wrist band from a track buddy who was leaving after only 1/2 day, so I did wind up running on a full Roval course that day, but in my M3.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
jamesrM3
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 AW M3

yea, a few buddies of mine tried the exotic car thing in Vegas. They said each instructor that rides shotgun is different. One friend got the two car deal and first the guy told him to hit brakes at that cone, etc which were all fairly conservative... the second instructor told him to romp on it and told him to stop at last possible stopping point, etc... Seemed like a lot of fun though and definitely something i want to do next time in Vegas.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Been there, done that. Bought 20 laps thru Groupon in December of 2010, and finally scheduled & did in on Nov 11, 2011.

100% agree that the track is darn small. It's a perfect track for drifting (which is why they have Formula D & other drift events there). Several participants were murmuring, I thought this was going to be run at the Autoclub Speedway (in Fontana). Oh, I wished...

Anyhow, it was over before I knew it, and I could've sworn that was less than 20 laps. But, later review of my videocam showed that it indeed was 20 laps... x)

Coincidentally, Speed Ventures was running their event in Autoclub Speedway that day, so went over there, got a wrist band from a track buddy who was leaving after only 1/2 day, so I did wind up running on a full Roval course that day, but in my M3.
Damn, your lucky.... I wish I got to take my M3 on that track!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
Damn, your lucky.... I wish I got to take my M3 on that track!!!
Just sign up thru Speed Ventures. SV runs more track day events at Auto Club Speedway than just about any other organizers. The next one is on the weekend of May 5th & 6th:

http://www.speedventures.com/events/Default.aspx

Some of us are there pretty regularly.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

that's awesome!!!

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
annasu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: qwef

so cool ,that must be a stimulate unforgettable experience ,that excellent if i have that experience.
      03-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info... I hope to be out there....

Appreciate 0