BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #23
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Well now you are talking about HP and size of rubber. If you honestly believe that the Mustang is sophisticated driver's car with incredible handling then I do need some of the stuff you are smoking..............no offence.
Sophisticated drivers car? Well a drivers car to me is something that you drive, and DO most of the driving, not electronic LSD's and traction control gallore.

BMW? Sophisticated? It's a BMW, not a Bugatti...

VW? Sophisticated? What are YOU smoking?

Honda? Sophisticated?

This isn't a ratio discussion, or a sophistication discussion. You can't complain about interiors because VW and BMW lose their solidity just like the rest of them with their window moldings peeling, window motors crapping out, hell BMW can't even get something as simple as a fuel pump right.

If you want to comment on reliability, the Mustangs got these on lock too.

For what he wants to pay, the GT is unmatched in the bang for buck and maybe/probably the fun factor as well. The R32 is an underpowered understeery bastard, the Mugen SI is a severely overpriced JDM whore whip that weighs too much and produces too little power, and the GTI is front wheel drive.

The Mustang IS a top contendor when these guys are its competition.

PS, I've seen tons of "LIVE REAR AXLE" Mustangs completely destroying even exotics on road courses.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #24
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
LIVE REAR AXLE

Come on, what more do you need as evidence.

Stop with the fucking ovesized text. It makes you look like a jerk. We're all perfectly capable of reading the normal size.

That live rear axle was able to let the GT500 turn nearly identical lap times to a 911 Turbo in Car and Driver's Lightening Lap, in a car that's less than half the cost. It's a VERY cost effective setup for going fast, even if it's not the most refined.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Stop with the fucking ovesized text. It makes you look like a jerk. We're all perfectly capable of reading the normal size.

That live rear axle was able to let the GT500 turn nearly identical lap times to a 911 Turbo in Car and Driver's Lightening Lap, in a car that's less than half the cost. It's a VERY cost effective setup for going fast, even if it's not the most refined.
A live axle is a lot less problematic on a smooth track than on your typical back road, that is why every respected manufacturer dropped it from there road models more than 30 years ago.

Try taking your GT500 around the N-ring in the time of a 997turbo.

P.S.
I chose the over sized text simply to say 'HELLO are you serious'. If I came across as a jerk then I failed and will don't use it again.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #26
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A live axle is a lot less problematic on a smooth track than on your typical back road, that is why every respected manufacturer dropped it from there road models more than 30 years ago.

Try taking your GT500 around the N-ring in the time of a 997turbo.

P.S.
I chose the over sized text simply to say 'HELLO are you serious'. If I came across as a jerk then I failed and will don't use it again.
I know exactly why you used the text, and that's the part that made you look like a jerk. You're damn right I'm serious, and I'm doubting you've even spent any time in a newer Mustang to even draw a conclusion.

I don't expect the car to be as fast around the Ring as the 911. It's less than half the cost. The point is, the live axle isn't nearly as big a deal as a lot of people like to make it out to be, and can be very capable on a track. It actually works VERY well for what a lot of the Mustang fan base uses it for, which is drag racing, and has recieved favorable reviews from just about every magazine that's tested it.

A person looking for performance in a nice package for under $30k can't do much better than a Mustang. It'll certainly out do the other cars in that class in just about any performance measure you'd like to use, on a track or on the street.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #27
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's less than half the cost.

I think almost less than a third of the cost actually.

And I can assure any one who doubts that a good driver in a Mustang GT and its live rear axle will tromp a novice in a 911 on any track.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #28
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
I think almost less than a third of the cost actually.

I nearly said that, but I was afraid one of our internet attorneys would call me out on the a technicality.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #29
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I nearly said that, but I was afraid one of our internet attorneys would call me out on the a technicality.
"Well actually the MSRP of a 911 997 C4 is around $88,000 so if the mustang is $30,000 then that isn't quite "less than a third"
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #30
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik View Post
Genesis Coupe if you can get past driving a Hyundai. RWD, turbo, LSD, Brembos, manual, 19" alloys, ridiculous amount of lux features for low $20s.

+1. I would take it over the si or vw
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #31
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

How about waiting for the Toyota FT-86??
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #32
Schumacher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
It's a VERY cost effective setup for going fast, even if it's not the most refined.
I feel that it is a very cost effective setup for going around on a track, No Offence.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #33
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
I know exactly why you used the text, and that's the part that made you look like a jerk. You're damn right I'm serious, and I'm doubting you've even spent any time in a newer Mustang to even draw a conclusion.

I don't expect the car to be as fast around the Ring as the 911. It's less than half the cost. The point is, the live axle isn't nearly as big a deal as a lot of people like to make it out to be, and can be very capable on a track. It actually works VERY well for what a lot of the Mustang fan base uses it for, which is drag racing, and has recieved favorable reviews from just about every magazine that's tested it.

A person looking for performance in a nice package for under $30k can't do much better than a Mustang. It'll certainly out do the other cars in that class in just about any performance measure you'd like to use, on a track or on the street.
I must admit my experience of the Mustang is limited to hiring one for two week while on holidays. But my past experience with live axle cars is more than you might think, probably more than most and that includes racing experience. That is why I said track time it's grand but on the road it's less so.

Sure it gives you a lot of straight line performance but lets not get carried away thinking it's something it ain't, it's an old fashioned muscle car with it's roots firmly in the sixties/seventies.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #34
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Genesis Coupe FTW!!!
      11-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #35
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Well actually the MSRP of a 911 997 C4 is around $88,000 so if the mustang is $30,000 then that isn't quite "less than a third"

I actually had the 911 Turbo in mind, which starts at $130k (but gets very pricey very quickly when you start in with the options) vs the $50k GT500, which were the two cars they tested in the comparision I mentioned earlier.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #36
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f150

Well guys, i went for a test drive again in the 2010 GTI. And as hard as i try and push myself to like it, i simply cant. Inside im a little boy and want that savage acceleration feel , which none of these 3 cars will give me unfortunately . I think the mustang is easily one of the best bang for your buck cars out there. But the real issue is there's no lease programs on the mustang and financing 30k on a term like 72 months. Still pushes me over $500 a month tax in. Times are tough and i want to be smart about my next car purchase. I really have to say though, all the automakers right now in U.S at least are really slacking. I never imagined it would be this hard to find a half decent car for under 400 a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #37
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE90 View Post
Well guys, i went for a test drive again in the 2010 GTI. And as hard as i try and push myself to like it, i simply cant. Inside im a little boy and want that savage acceleration feel , which none of these 3 cars will give me unfortunately . I think the mustang is easily one of the best bang for your buck cars out there. But the real issue is there's no lease programs on the mustang and financing 30k on a term like 72 months. Still pushes me over $500 a month tax in. Times are tough and i want to be smart about my next car purchase. I really have to say though, all the automakers right now in U.S at least are really slacking. I never imagined it would be this hard to find a half decent car for under 400 a month.
If you really want to be smart, just keep the 328i you have until it's absolutely necessary to buy a new car.
      11-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #38
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
If you really want to be smart, just keep the 328i you have until it's absolutely necessary to buy a new car.
This sounds like pretty good advice to me.

New cars are great, but new car payments suck.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #39
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
Rep

My 328i is defnitley A good car but its 500 a month, and i put 3000 down. I found a buyer who has already been approved and i am in the process of handing the car over to them. I think for what i put down and the fact that this car isnt a 335 , makes it simply too much money for what it is, PLUS the buyer has already givin me 50% of my Downpayment money back which is nice. Thats the reason i decided to sell it. I was also thinking about financing a s2000 CR. But they are a bit difficult to find at the right price. Anyone have any opinions on the S2000 CR?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #40
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Dude. Try a Mazdaspeed3. That's a shame about the Mustang lease deal.^
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #41
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
I must admit my experience of the Mustang is limited to hiring one for two week while on holidays. But my past experience with live axle cars is more than you might think, probably more than most and that includes racing experience. That is why I said track time it's grand but on the road it's less so.

Sure it gives you a lot of straight line performance but lets not get carried away thinking it's something it ain't, it's an old fashioned muscle car with it's roots firmly in the sixties/seventies.
Was this the 2010 model specifically that you rented? And btw, if it's a rental, that's already giving you the worst view of the car.

And Ford's had enough experience tuning live axles. Most reviews say they've gotten the handling down surprisingly well. However, it's still true that the car gets more upset over bumps than an IRS setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #42
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Dude. Try a Mazdaspeed3. That's a shame about the Mustang lease deal.^
No don't try a Mazdaspeed3, they are fucking garbage. They have the same shit internals as an N/A with a maxed out stock turbo and a half assed overall set up. All years had significant engine failure issues, smoking turbos and bad syncros if not a complete transmission failure.

Know the product before you suggest it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #43
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Do yourself a favor and at least take the Mazdaspeed3 for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #44
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No don't try a Mazdaspeed3, they are fucking garbage. They have the same shit internals as an N/A with a maxed out stock turbo and a half assed overall set up. All years had significant engine failure issues, smoking turbos and bad syncros if not a complete transmission failure.

Know the product before you suggest it.
I saw one at homestead speedway a week or so ago doing some work on the track. But yeah ive read before all of the reliability issues. Plus the styling of the new 1 is terrible
Appreciate 0