BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Need honeymoon ideas for beginning of October

Getting married Sept 28th......and i need ideas for a honeymoon.

We were thinking somewhere in the Caribbean, but I know its hurricane season. we keep hearing Aruba doesnt get hit as hard as the other islands..so we might take the risk....anyone have any experience down there?

Anyone have good recommendations? Our biggest requirement is that its an all inclusive place. 4-5 star resort.

We would like to go to Hawaii, but we havent found an all inclusive place. Europe is a possibility...maybe greece

what do you guys think.
      02-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

First off, congratulations!

I vote disney world
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Congrats. We married September 23rd some years ago.

I vote: Playa Del Carmen and the resort we spent our honeymoon and several trips since: Royal Hideaway.

It is absolutely marvelous in every capacity!

Do a quick search. And definitely include it on your short list.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 02-18-2014 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thanks guys!

honestly my wife loves Disney, im sure if i mention it she'd have it booked within seconds.

im looking into Playa Del Carmen right now, its in hurricane path....so hmmmm

Last edited by carzaddict; 02-18-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

nooooooooo
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
What is your budget?
Aruba doesn't have much all inclusive resorts and that goes same for many further away islands. And no Hawaii doesn't have all inclusive. All inclusive is usually only popular in areas where safety is concerned. In places where safety is not a concern, all inclusives are really expensive or do not fully include the meals as visitors tends to go out of resort to eat.
And I wouldn't try the luck in September for your honeymoon in Caribbean. Even if it doesn't get a hurricane, it WILL rain mostly and get high winds. If budget is not concerned, South Pacific is still peak season in September with almost off season pricing. We went to Moorea and Bora Bora in October with good discounts on over water bungalow, and weather was perfect throughout. If you want premium all inclusive in Caribbean, I recommend Emerald bay in Exuma. It has best beach and water. Golf is inclusive as well. Such a perfect place.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
What is your budget?
+1

congrats though, I was married on the 29th a couple of years ago.

At that time of the year, you dont want the caribbean nor Europe if you want nice tropical weather. Hawaii is the best option for great weather, I spent just over 2 weeks on 3 islands for mine. If you want pure paradise, this is where you go, but dont expect it to be cheap (its your honeymoon so dont worry about all inclusives, you should only plan to do this once!), and its very far away, but definitely worth it.

if you want ideas in Hawaii, glad to help
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Why does it have to be all-inclusive? You both like watered down drinks and cafeteria food? I'm exagerrating a little but really, all inclusives aren't all they're cracked up to be. You can often save money and have a much better vacation at a regular resort/hotel. What's the point of going to en exotic place only to see the same 10 acres of it for a full week or two?

We got married on Kauai and adored the place. Maui was fine but is much more commercial and not as lush as Kauai was. Many more strip malls, people, commerce, etc on Maui.

As far as Europe goes, we LOVE Italy and are now going every year to explore more and more of the country. Can't speak on Greece but I doubt that you're going to find an all inclusive in Greece.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Honestly im not sure about budget. i was thinking $8-10k seems appropriate? you experienced people can tell me if its reasonable. its my honeymoon, im going to do it once...im not going to spend $20k...but yeah i am not going to cheap out.

we want all inclusive because we dont want to worry about having to do anything. i understand what you mean about quality...and yes you're right...ive been to AMAZING inclusive places...and some mediocre ones. im the kind of person that has to google and look up places...read reviews etc etc....i dont want to worry about that on my honeymoon.

im not worried about being tied down to the hotel. we will be booking tours and stuff.
      02-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
For $8-10k you can easily have a 4-5 star Hawaiian vacation, depending on the duration of stay. We stayed at the St.Regis on Kauai and Four Seasons on Maui and spent probably $13-15k for two weeks. If you notch one bracket down for hotels (fairmont instead of Four Seasons, etc) you can easily fit your budget. My recommendation is NOT to fly first class. That's the dumbest way to blow through half of a vacation budget.

What do you have to "do" at a regular hotel that you don't have to do at an all inclusive? You still have to order drinks, go to restaurants, and book trips. You charge everything to a room account anyway so it's not like you have to carry a stack of cash with you.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Why does it have to be all-inclusive? You both like watered down drinks and cafeteria food?
It depends on where you go. There are many all inclusive places where they serve top shelf liquors and great food. You know you are in a right all inclusive when you can drink GreyGoose/JW black/Petron all day long for free.
And couple of all inclusives I went to had way better food then premium resorts we've been to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
Honestly im not sure about budget. i was thinking $8-10k seems appropriate?
Hey....with that budget..why even bother looking at Aruba?
I mean it's a good place but Aruba is certainly under your budget.
With 10k to spend in Caribbean, you should look into St. Lucia or St. Grenadines for yacht voyage.

In South pacific, you can easily go to Hawaii for 10~12day for that budget or 4~7 days in French Polynesia or Fiji or cook island.
It all depends what is your goal.
Romantic? Hide away? Best beach? Mix of mountain and beach? Night life?

For usual all of above, Pacific or South pacific is better than Caribbean. Usually. But of course, Caribbean has some great jewels as well but, season doesn't help you here.

You can't go wrong in any places in pacific area, but I strongly recommend south pacific (French polynesia especially, if you want good mixture of high end resorts/scenic).
For your beach side honeymoon in south pacific, especially if you are gonig with over water bungalows, you should google map the resort before choosing it. This way you see where the resort is situated in the lagoon.
You want the shallow water(crytal aqua in the map) around you. Almost all resorts post up best aqua water in their website but you might be surprised when you actually go there.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

we did consider french polynesia....but we didnt feel like doing a ~12 hour flight.

the vacation would be more like 7-8 days because of a project I will be on around that time.

is there anything on the pacific coast of mexico that may be worth looking?
      02-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

We went to Curacao - really close to Aruba and something to consider. However, we went on Dec 28th to Jan 10th, so a little different timing - not sure how much impact that would be.

Consider it though, was a great place, very safe to walk about, mostly a dutch island, great food. There was a hotel that just went all inclusive there - nearby a fort, can't remember the name. My buddy just went there and it was really good - what they did was gave you a list of nearby restaurants that you could eat at in town and you ordered off the menu including drinks and just billed it to your room BUT, the hotel took care of that charge at the end and you didn't pay which is a neat idea because you had already paid them a set all inclusive fee. I doubt it will last long, too many people abusing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Oh, and I went to St Lucia for my honeymoon on Oct 20th - I wouldn't really recommend it as a place that stood out. It was good, and special since it was our honeymoon, but there are better places in my opinion. And I didn't feel as safe as I did in other islands - not that there's a real threat, just my perception.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Honestly im not sure about budget. i was thinking $8-10k seems appropriate? you experienced people can tell me if its reasonable. its my honeymoon, im going to do it once...im not going to spend $20k...but yeah i am not going to cheap out.

we want all inclusive because we dont want to worry about having to do anything. i understand what you mean about quality...and yes you're right...ive been to AMAZING inclusive places...and some mediocre ones. im the kind of person that has to google and look up places...read reviews etc etc....i dont want to worry about that on my honeymoon.

im not worried about being tied down to the hotel. we will be booking tours and stuff.
Id say first thing is to set your budget, and then this will drive the rest of the decisions. I cant say what is appropriate, its all depending on what you can afford to spend comfortably, whatever that amount may be, you will be able to find something great Im sure.
The time you can spend away will be important as well, since if you go to the pacific, you do need to consider the travel time and days lost so to speak. If you do go out west, consider staying for as long as you can afford to, you may not get back anytime soon, so best to enjoy once you are there.
Now that budget wont get you to stay at the Four Seasons for two weeks, but that may not be your need/desire. It just depends on what you want on your honeymoon. I wanted luxury and privacy, and you can find that if you want to pay for it, it all depends on your situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
we did consider french polynesia....but we didnt feel like doing a ~12 hour flight.

the vacation would be more like 7-8 days because of a project I will be on around that time.

12 hour flight? It's 11 hours to Hawaii from JFK/EWR. Polynesia is more like 16.

I would't recommend Mexico at all right now. I thought Cabo was a dump when I was there about 7 years ago.

Honestly, Hawaii is your best bet. There's a shitload of stuff to do, everyone speaks English, you don't have to worry about having your head cut off, and you can use your cellphone to upload pics of your vacation while you're on it. The food is great, the people are great, and the scenery, both above and below sea level, is spectacular. I would unwind on Kauai for the first few days then head to Maui for some additional activities.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

interesting topic!! sub'ed
      02-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Why does it have to be all-inclusive? You both like watered down drinks and cafeteria food? I'm exagerrating a little but really, all inclusives aren't all they're cracked up to be. You can often save money and have a much better vacation at a regular resort/hotel. What's the point of going to en exotic place only to see the same 10 acres of it for a full week or two?

We got married on Kauai and adored the place. Maui was fine but is much more commercial and not as lush as Kauai was. Many more strip malls, people, commerce, etc on Maui.

As far as Europe goes, we LOVE Italy and are now going every year to explore more and more of the country. Can't speak on Greece but I doubt that you're going to find an all inclusive in Greece.
You are either sadly mistaken or simply ignorant to some of the all inclusive resort offerings these days my friend.

I have been to many tropical destinations: Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Jamaica many of them were a la cart. Royal Hideaway and several others I can name not only have multiple 5 Star restaurants on site, but I order up ultra premium liquors all day everyday!
Don't know where you went....

Again, OP, check out the spot I suggested and if you go, please report back!
      02-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #19
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Here are three that I not only can personally vouch for, but have and will return again and again:

http://www.lhw.com/hotel/The-Royal-H...-Carmen-Mexico

http://www.thegrandcollection.com/en...-hotel-paraiso

http://www.excellence-resorts.com/ca...-playa-mujeres
      02-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #20
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

Yes, flight is a bitch. I agree. Especially the way back.

In late September, I wouldn't try near coast of mexico. You don't want to ruin your honeymoon with gloomy and messed up hair photos. Mind you, it will rain horizontally, not vertically. And at that time of the year, a lot of resorts undergo renovations and even if they are open, they close down many parts of the resort just because there aren't many people to use it. Simply put, if a resort have 8 restaurants, they might only operate 5 of them.
And of course, less people = less food consumption = less cycle of fresh food. You get the idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict

Turks & Caicos is great, and may fit your budget with some doing. Spent 2 weeks at the Gansevoort last year and it was sublime. Take day trips to neighboring islands, or book a fishing trip (if she's that type of lady).
Good luck and congrats.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #22
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you guys have been extremely helpful!

when you guys say stay away from the mexico coast....do you mean both atlantic and pacific? or just atlantic? I can deal with sticking to Cabo if I have to (if the weather is good) i heard some good things

i need to do more resarch about french polynesia.