BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

06-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Suddenly my BMW just feels plain inferior...

Someone just moved into my apartment complex. Recognize the type of car? They have a resident parking permit so they must live here. Damn!!
Attached Images

06-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
wholeymoley
mac&cheese!
Rep
Drives: e92

lol drool, don't worry man. im sure this should make ~80% of the cars on the road feel that way. you either must live in a decent area, or he's being conservative.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Being conservative with a $450,000+ car? Hardly!! And, just to clarify, though there are a fair number of BMWs, Mercedes, etc. in the parking lot, nothing more expensive than a new 6-series convertible. This RR takes the cake...for sure!
      06-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
stopper
Person of Interest
United_States
Rep
Drives: A petrol-engine motorcar

Rolls Royce? Apartment complex?

What?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

My thoughts exactly!
      06-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
blaQouT
Hi
Rep
Drives: 335i

Leaving a car like that out in the open. I would need a garage. Brave...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopper View Post

What?
I was thinking the same thing. But then I remembered that I am driving a BMW and living in an apartment complex, which some people would question just the same.

I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I could buy... but I am giving my job two years (I am one year in now) to decide if it is somewhere I want to build my career. Hence I didn't want to buy a house only to move across the country 2 years later. I can take the M3 with me, can't take a house. Maybe it is similar to that? Or hell, maybe the guy/gal is so loaded that they can afford to have both a house and a rental. Can't make assumptions in these cases.
      06-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Or maybe he owns the complex and has a unit there to crash...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Or maybe he owns the complex and has a unit there to crash...
"crash" aka your private little "no tell motel" so someone doesn't find out.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:

What?

My neighbor's vehicle parked outside in central london

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
My neighbor's vehicle parked outside in central london

Umm, are you serious??? No way in hell I would park a Veyron outside, let alone not behind some sort of secured entrance.

As for my new neighbor, not sure. Today the car is parked in-between a Kia and an old Jeep Cherokee. He's ballsy, that's for sure. I've made up an elaborate scheme in my head where his mistress lives here and he rents the place for her. Not sure if it's true, but it sounds scandalous.
      06-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Where I live, there are apartments that start at $5million, where the penthouse could be up to $30million.

Also, second home? My godfather has a condo/appartment in Newport Beach (CA) which is a 3rd residence. Place is filled with Bentleys, Rolls, Ferraris, BMWs, Mercs, etc etc.

Also, there are people who are just crazy about cars. Really don't have their priorities straight. Will buy/lease a $450k car... but end up barely able to make rent/living/food payments.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:

What?
Seriously...I really don't think car ownership is an indication of wealth...especially in North America.

Its really not that hard to buy a new or used 100 K + car if you don't have to send kids to private school (grades 1-12), private college, don't have a ballin' house with thigh taxes. Or have gotten a divorce/never married, don't have health issues etc. So many variables can cause disposable income, even high income to vanish quickly or not.

Ie. In the amount it costs to send 1 kid to private college in the northeast, from your after tax income - you can buy a FErrari 458 Italia and have money left over for a 535xi.

In the amount it costs to send a kid to private school grades 1-12), you can buy a Ferrari 458 Italia.

Its all about priorities. And thats just one kid.

Having an expensive MSRP vehicle does not mean $$...it usually means the person has access to borrowing capacity, which isn't exactly hard these days. A Rolls probably does increase the likelihood that the person has some money, but in an apartment complex -- unless its a lavish condo unit (IE. 1 million + for a place) -- come on! But the style of residence has nothing to do with it - you can't just associate wealth with outward material purchases like a car, not these days. Not even a Rolls.

A car like that should be in one of the more upscale areas of Philly (Bryn Mawr or whatever it is, Chestnut Hill, places like that). But each person can do what they want -- at least until their debt is called in.

Its all personal - I honestly think that your kids be in a private school, you should be living in a decent area before you start looking at net consumption goods like 60K+ cars/vacay/clothing...but few obviously feel this way.

That is all.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Where I live, there are apartments that start at $5million, where the penthouse could be up to $30million.

Also, second home? My godfather has a condo/appartment in Newport Beach (CA) which is a 3rd residence. Place is filled with Bentleys, Rolls, Ferraris, BMWs, Mercs, etc etc.

Also, there are people who are just crazy about cars. Really don't have their priorities straight. Will buy/lease a $450k car... but end up barely able to make rent/living/food payments.
When I was down in SoCal, I couldn't help but notice the extreme amount of debt people had piled on.

I hope they realize it does need to be repaid at some point. It'll be interesting to see where California is headed in the next 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
When I was down in SoCal, I couldn't help but notice the extreme amount of debt people had piled on.

I hope they realize it does need to be repaid at some point. It'll be interesting to see where California is headed in the next 20 years.
Agreed. It's pretty sad. I'm glad my parents have taught me well. Make sure you are never overdrawn at the bank, and always pay off credit card statements in full as soon as they come in. And just don't try to afford things that you know you can't...
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Seriously...I really don't think car ownership is an indication of wealth...especially in North America.

Its really not that hard to buy a new or used 100 K + car if you don't have to send kids to private school (grades 1-12), private college, don't have a ballin' house with thigh taxes. Or have gotten a divorce/never married, don't have health issues etc. So many variables can cause disposable income, even high income to vanish quickly or not.

Ie. In the amount it costs to send 1 kid to private college in the northeast, from your after tax income - you can buy a FErrari 458 Italia and have money left over for a 535xi.

In the amount it costs to send a kid to private school grades 1-12), you can buy a Ferrari 458 Italia.

Its all about priorities. And thats just one kid.

Having an expensive MSRP vehicle does not mean $$...it usually means the person has access to borrowing capacity, which isn't exactly hard these days. A Rolls probably does increase the likelihood that the person has some money, but in an apartment complex -- unless its a lavish condo unit (IE. 1 million + for a place) -- come on! But the style of residence has nothing to do with it - you can't just associate wealth with outward material purchases like a car, not these days. Not even a Rolls.

A car like that should be in one of the more upscale areas of Philly (Bryn Mawr or whatever it is, Chestnut Hill, places like that). But each person can do what they want -- at least until their debt is called in.

Its all personal - I honestly think that your kids be in a private school, you should be living in a decent area before you start looking at net consumption goods like 60K+ cars/vacay/clothing...but few obviously feel this way.

That is all.
I was just about to post something to a similar degree. You said it perfectly!

My parents have the same philosophy about how to spend money, and I'm glad I was brought up this way.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I was just about to post something to a similar degree. You said it perfectly!

My parents have the same philosophy about how to spend money, and I'm glad I was brought up this way.
Sometimes borrowing money is SMART...like sending your kids to private schools or an investment (education is the smartest investment of all).

But borrowing for consumption is going to destroy America. Its just a matter of discipline.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sometimes borrowing money is SMART...like sending your kids to private schools or an investment (education is the smartest investment of all).

But borrowing for consumption is going to destroy America. Its just a matter of discipline.
Definitely true. Thankfully (and I understand how lucky I am), my parents were able to send me to private school K-12, and now a private university + I have money away for graduate school (a trust I guess).

I'm trying not to sound like a bratty kid, because I know how lucky I am that my parents were smart in how they saved money for my future and still have money to spend on our luxuries -food/vacation/cars/house etc without needing to rack up bills/debt
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Umm, are you serious??? No way in hell I would park a Veyron outside, let alone not behind some sort of secured entrance.

As for my new neighbor, not sure. Today the car is parked in-between a Kia and an old Jeep Cherokee. He's ballsy, that's for sure. I've made up an elaborate scheme in my head where his mistress lives here and he rents the place for her. Not sure if it's true, but it sounds scandalous.
You're delusional for thinking that mate, here in london having an underground/secured parking is an ultra luxury in kensington, knightsbridge the areas im referring to as part of central london.

Look here

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
This is the exact reason why I have to hold off buying a fancy car! Too late to return the kids now!

Don't forget divorce is terribly expensive also!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #21
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14

Yeah but apartments/condos like those normally have someplace to park your car that isn't out in the rain, don't they?

My BMW is one of the nicer cars in my complex, that was until a new pearl white CLS started showing up. That one definitely looked out of place. A Rolls would have a crowd around it on a daily basis.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I live in an apartment complex, and a relatively inexpensive one at that because a) I don't know my long term goals and don't want to get stuck with a home I can't sell and b) if I'm renting I don't want to piss a ton of money away on rent when I'll have nothing to show for it when I leave.

Anyways, there is a dude with a brand spanking new fully loaded 650i convertible. Before that he had a loaded last generation 650i convertible. The guy at the front office said the owner has been here for 6 years. For someone like that (and this RR) I don't get the point of living in an apartment complex if you're spending that kind of money on a car. Wouldn't buying a 5 series (or I guess a Bentley Continental for the RR guy, haha) and then using the savings to put as a down payment on a house be a better idea?

A little side note, I came home one night and as I turned towards where I park and saw a red Audi R8 V10 pulled in backwards with the driver still in it. He ended up sitting there for half an hour until some lady in a VW EOS showed up and got in his car with him. After that they drove off. You know something strange was going on with that.