BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
okroger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: plugged in

Regarding optics at night

Anyone else have the nagging feeling that everyone driving towards them has their hi-beams on? I do live in a city where drivers are generally terrible by default and inconsiderate to boot, but it seems to be out of hand. I'll flash them as they get closer, but I never see them flash back, leading me to believe they have their low beams on.

Would aftermarket windshields have any play in this? I've had to replace oem windshield due to road debris, etc...
Slope of windshield? Curvature?

Or possibly a sign of eye prescription needing updated?
I'm sure this has to be one of the oddest topics, but I've never had this issue before, even in cars that sat lower to the ground.
      12-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Sometimes

But the current intensity of modern headlights is nothing compared to the recent sun burn inducing luminosity of many/most police cars these days

I cant tell you how many times I've been nearly blinded/unable to see oncoming traffic on a 2 lane highway when a police officer has someone pulled over on the shoulder of oncoming traffic

The police up here have added a pile of white/spotlight intendity lights to the standard blue flashing fare in order to better see into cars they pull over......but its truly a safety hazard for oncoming vehicles
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

No, I don't have that issue. I can always tell when someone has their brights on vs not. Unfortunately a lot of them are drunk and don't realize it so the flashing doesn't do anything.

It's not your eye prescription, but you should probably go in and get that tested anyway since it changes very slowly and you can lose a lot of acuity without knowing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

If you are over 55, my guess is early cataracts or Rx change. Have your eyes checked and tell them about the glare. It's very possible that is the cause.

The aftermarket windshield could also have an effect. I just had a new windshield put on my wife's car and did a little research. It seems like windshields are made from "batches" of glass, and the aftermarket companies buy up the ones that don't meet OEM specs for optics (Not sure how true this is, but it was posted by a guy who was the head engineer of optics for one of the big three). Drive someone else's car and see if it's still bad.....that way you can rule out the aftermarket windshield.

The other thing is make sure the inside of your windshield is clean. If this is dirty it will cause the light to scatter and cause blur.

My guess is it's your eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:44 AM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

totally not your eyes. people are fuckin twats and turn them on to see and dont give a fly fuck about anyone else. scare them by driving into their lane and honking.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2016, 02:29 AM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
totally not your eyes. people are fuckin twats and turn them on to see and dont give a fly fuck about anyone else. scare them by driving into their lane and honking.
Probably not the best solution...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Probably not the best solution...
lol, i know...i live in the burbs with a severe deer problem. but like seriously auto beams should be a standard safety feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Uber

Driving in Boston this happens often. It doesnt blind me but it does hurt my eyes from time to time. I just blast my high-beams right back at them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

All the time. Lots of the new headlights put out a lot of glare too, which is more what bothers you I suspect. The new BMW and Ford headlights are especially bad.
      12-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #10
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

I think the problem is that there is little to no continuing control of headlight performance. The headlights are aligned once in the factory and most of them arent touched again. I would guess that the constant suspension movement shifts them out of alignment over time.
      12-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Another question is, why the fuck do people have their fogs on too
And, this is a New England thing
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
okroger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: plugged in

it's a masshole thing.
ive been in a courtesy f48 the past few days and still being blinded.
well done new england.