BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

04-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #23
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
There are some good BMW salesmen out there but my experience with most is similar to the OP. I've caught them in lies, misinformation or misinformed statements. I had ordered a 2002 M3. When the dealer got an M3 (December '07 IIRC) that had the manual I got to test drive it. But when I said I did not want to get this one because I wanted SMG the salesman gave me some crap that BMW was having problems with SMG.
The strange thing with pulling stuff like that on customers is: do they really think someone who is about to spend $70k will buy into that kind of crap? Any person with even half a brain can see through the conflict of interest in that situation. I am sure there are some really stupid customers who can't (and hence there are some people our there with half brains) but is that worth the risk of pissing off customers who can? Bad strategy in my book. And yes, there are some great CAs out there, but not that many...
      04-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #24
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Sometimes?
+1, I 1000% sure that I always know more than them, a lot more unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #25
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

You all are right about "most" salespeople. Most guys can get by just knowing the basics of the cars and being able to tell differences between models. Even at our dealer, there's some guys like that. Should they know more? Yes. Do they need to? No.

You also have to remember that all of you guys on here study this car in and out every day and know every little detail about it. Throw about 15 more cars into that equation and it gets a little harder to remember every detail.
I consider myself to know as much as any of you do, but I still make mistakes sometimes. I might be talking about an M6, then an X5, then an M3. With all the numbers and specs, I make a mistake every once in awhile.

But don't get me wrong. I agree with you guys. 99% of other BMW salespeople I have met don't know their head from their ass. You just have to find the right one. I love the fact that most car salespeople are idiots. It gives me a great advantage when people know that I actually have product knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #26
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
It could be that management didnt give their sales people the updates. Could be possible that they did but she just didnt bother to read the memo. But to be fair, we probably know a lot more and well ahead of time than many of the dealers out there simply because we have a lot of resources.
+1, aren't the salespeople supposed to be like us. Car nerds.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #27
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
dealers arent idiots. it's us who are the idiots. we know nothing about the cars. they are the experts. they go to training, they study their material, they are real car enthusiasts and know everything about the cars they are selling. they're very pro and very well trained as they should be.

CA's are very very knowledgeable, makes u wanna slap them for the shit that comes out of their mouths. they for sure need to hang around forums more to learn about what they're selling... yes that was a shot at sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #28
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
most of them don't even like cars. They just want to be in sales.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #29
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsev View Post
most of them don't even like cars. They just want to be in sales.
Yeah, that's unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #30
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
dealers arent idiots. it's us who are the idiots. we know nothing about the cars. they are the experts. they go to training, they study their material, they are real car enthusiasts and know everything about the cars they are selling. they're very pro and very well trained as they should be.

CA's are very very knowledgeable, makes u wanna slap them for the shit that comes out of their mouths. they for sure need to hang around forums more to learn about what they're selling... yes that was a shot at sarcasm
ouch bro. You should see the sales guys at training. Sometimes I can't even believe they work in the car industry. And every one of them thinks they know more than anyone else. Atleast it's free entertainment.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #31
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
This thread is so funny only cause its so damn true. We actually do know more than many of them do. I'm sure anyone of us would do a better job than some of them do.
Yeah but then we couldn't afford M3's.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #32
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsev View Post
You all are right about "most" salespeople. Most guys can get by just knowing the basics of the cars and being able to tell differences between models. Even at our dealer, there's some guys like that. Should they know more? Yes. Do they need to? No.

You also have to remember that all of you guys on here study this car in and out every day and know every little detail about it. Throw about 15 more cars into that equation and it gets a little harder to remember every detail.
I consider myself to know as much as any of you do, but I still make mistakes sometimes. I might be talking about an M6, then an X5, then an M3. With all the numbers and specs, I make a mistake every once in awhile.

But don't get me wrong. I agree with you guys. 99% of other BMW salespeople I have met don't know their head from their ass. You just have to find the right one. I love the fact that most car salespeople are idiots. It gives me a great advantage when people know that I actually have product knowledge.
Timsev, we know you're one of the few good guys out there.

It just really amazes me that most CAs start pulling shit on me that I can see through right away, which is a major turn-off. I am not referring to knowing specifics about the M3 or anything. Just shit. About pricing, availibility, options, etc. trying to make me buy something that I don't really want to buy. Any accomplished salesperson knows that is not how to win over a customer. The strategy that works is to understand what the customer wants/needs and make that match as opposed to push stuff onto the customer. That builds trust. Nobody can know everything, and I actually appericiate it when someone has the guts to say I don't know, does the research and gets back to me with an answer promptly as opposed to pulling crap. This is true for salespeople in general, not just car salespeople...
      04-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #33
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: m3 ZCP 6MT, on order 09 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
This thread is so funny only cause its so damn true. We actually do know more than many of them do. I'm sure anyone of us would do a better job than some of them do.
100% agree, we can teach them, if i have any doubt the best way to go is bmwusa.com
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #34
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:

It just really amazes me that most CAs start pulling shit on me that I can see through right away, which is a major turn-off. I am not referring to knowing specifics about the M3 or anything. Just shit. About pricing, availibility, options, etc. trying to make me buy something that I don't really want to buy. Any accomplished salesperson knows that is not how to win over a customer. The strategy that works is to understand what the customer wants/needs and make that match as opposed to push stuff onto the customer. That builds trust. Nobody can know everything, and I actually appericiate it when someone has the guts to say I don't know, does the research and gets back to me with an answer promptly as opposed to pulling crap. This is true for salespeople in general, not just car salespeople...
I agree totally, as well. I also agree with Timesev that the SA has the disadvantage of tracking mulitple models. But, hey, it's their job. Finding the ones that understand this and don't do just enough to get by with 90% of the customers is the key.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-23-2008 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #35
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

my sales guy says all he has on my car is production number and says DCT aint out yet till MAY.Pissing me off, he says doesnt know what 111,112,150 etc are.
      04-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #36
RickyM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I talked to a CA at Global Imports in Atlanta and they told me all M3's come standard with Carbon Fiber Roof AND Moon Roof when i said he didn't know what he was talking about, he proceeded to tell me there is an M3 sitting in front of him and he is looking at it, then I told him to get off his ass and go look. He came back a few seconds later and said "oh sorry, these cars are very new and they just came in, we are still learning about them" I said learn the cars before you try to sell them and hung up!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #37
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

This is the thought process behind most salespeople unfortunately. They think that if a customer knows more than they do, it's a sign of weakness. They think that the employee should be all knowing and should have answers for everything. I guess it hurts their manhood. So when they don't know the answer to something, they will try and BS or make something up. Call me weird, but I can't stand most car salesmen either.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #38
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I agree totally, as well. I also agree with Timesev that the SA has the disadvantage of tracking mulitple models. But, hey, it's their job. Finding the ones that understand this and don't do just enought to get by with 90% of the customers is the key.
bingo. I mean, it's not that hard to remember stuff on cars that you're around every day, all day. I give the older guys here a break, but everyone else is just lazy.

Reminds me of when I went to training a couple of weeks ago. There was this CA there that had been in BMW sales for like 9 years. We were looking at the Comfort Access on the new convertibles. The guy speaks up and says he didn't know you could operate the top and windows with Comfort Access. I just looked at him like "what the hell is wrong with you?" We've been able to do this on cars for over a year now and this was the first time he'd seen it. I wanted to punch him in his throat.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #39
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

I forgot to add when I asked to see the JzB M3 the chick took me outside and showed me around a 335i that she thought was an M3...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #40
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc View Post
I forgot to add when I asked to see the JzB M3 the chick took me outside and showed me around a 335i that she thought was an M3...
Now that is just stupid. She needs to get fired!

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #41
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

Should of slapped her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #42
xxruffdmxx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

My CA was an awesome guy, (can't say the same for the sales manager, but thats a different story) but when I took my delivery of the DCT, he just came back from South Carolina where he drove the car and had a tutorial about the M3. So we get in the car, and hes showing me the idrive, all the buttons pretty much (i've never owned a bmw before). Finally we get to the DCT. He had no idea how the DCT worked. He just knew how to put it in reverse and to drive. He had no idea about the two different modes (S and D), I had to tell him there were two modes. No clue how the M-drive works, etc. But, he took out the manual and read it with me and learned with me. He apologized and even thanked me that I drove him around for a bit to show him a bit of the DCT. He told me that in South Carolina they only got to drive the 6MT.

Then he introduced me to my service guy and he was just awesome. He was about 28 and you can tell about his passion for bmw. I told him that I am looking to do some mods, especially the black grill and new bulbs and he offered to install them for free. He said just bring it in, I'll pretend i'm looking at something and take care of you. That was great to hear, don't have to worry about bringing my car for service, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #43
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
I think they are mostly money nerds. What car nerd wants to be driven around all day (mostly by idiots, judging from the people on the highway) in cars that are mostly boring (even most BMWs are 328s, not talking about GM, Ford, Kia, Hyundai, Chrysler, etc...) plus the hours spent standing in the hot sun or freezing cold and then have your boss yell at you when other people decide not to buy a product you had no hand in creating (and probably couldn't get noticed by the creators even if you invented the thing that powered that Delorian in Back to the Future)?

Notice how few of the people on car forums are car salesmen?

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #44
Jdebitjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 and 2015 M3 Sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
I think they are mostly money nerds. What car nerd wants to be driven around all day (mostly by idiots, judging from the people on the highway) in cars that are mostly boring (even most BMWs are 328s, not talking about GM, Ford, Kia, Hyundai, Chrysler, etc...) plus the hours spent standing in the hot sun or freezing cold and then have your boss yell at you when other people decide not to buy a product you had no hand in creating (and probably couldn't get noticed by the creators even if you invented the thing that powered that Delorian in Back to the Future)?

Notice how few of the people on car forums are car salesmen?

+1
Appreciate 0