BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #67
fatpanda
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

mine has abt 30K KM & so far a busted rear right signal light n rear left wheel speed sensor.

According to a mech, he said the most common problems hes seen are the rear diff n DSC failures... didnt go into detail exactly how they fail...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #68
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

32k miles and zero spent other than wear items. I expect the S65 to be pretty reliable, BMW makes pretty solid cars still, regardless of what one tech said.

My backup car that I drive on long trips or to parking garages etc. that my M doesn't belong in has 132k on it (2005 325i) and has $3-4k in out of pocket expenses max over the last 80k+ and that's including a completely refreshed cooling system and other preventative stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #69
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Bought my E90 M3 MY08 CPO with 54k miles. So far, rear diff fluid has been replaced so it does not grind. Cylinder #3 exhaust valve spring was broken and replaced. I also just noticed my driver's side halo light is out. Previous owner was an @$$ and I dont think he/she took care of it.

Currently have 57k on it and picked it up late November 2011.
      04-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #70
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
i didnt bother reading through most of this thread but the simple answer like many have stated before me: this car is pretty damn reliable for what it is. have owners had various issues? yes of course name one car model that hasnt had a few owners pop up with crazy issues with their car. overall just do the preventative maintenance and you will be fine. if something happens then it happens what are you going to do. take of your car and it will take care of you
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #71
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

My original intention of this thread was to find out if the E90/92/93 has common issues at certain mileage. I've joined all the forum of which i owned cars and finding the common issues at certain mileage has really helped out. Like my Audi TT had timing belt snaps at around 80k, and my old E36 had rear shock mounts go out at 60k.

Seems like the M3 really dont have many common issues.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #72
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
My original intention of this thread was to find out if the E90/92/93 has common issues at certain mileage. I've joined all the forum of which i owned cars and finding the common issues at certain mileage has really helped out. Like my Audi TT had timing belt snaps at around 80k, and my old E36 had rear shock mounts go out at 60k.

Seems like the M3 really dont have many common issues.
+1 This thread has real potential and I read through the posts but no one has answered the core question.

The problem this thread is supposed to resolve is the same question/problem I have. I have an E93 and want to keep the car a very long time; I am debating an extended warranty, but for the rationale of countless threads will likely just build a cash reserve to deal with problems and self insure my own expected maintenance and replacement costs. PROBLEM- How much should I reasonably be putting in reserve? To answer this question, I need milestones for maintenance or replacement of specific items and the expected costs so that from my expected average use, I can set aside a reasonable amount in reserve.

In the old days, the service manual that came with the car had a recommended schedule for maintenace you could expect for the car (i.e, 5K oil change, 20K transmission fluid, 45K spark plugs, 75K clutch, etc., not real numbers just an example), and you could ask the dealership for a cost of the items in order to calculate your reserve budget. However, on my M3, the scheduling is completely electronic by the computer or as something breaks, I have not seen a maintenance/replacement schedule in my materials.

SO, I think what the OP, others and me are really after is if someone, either from experience or an objective source, posting milestones of what we can expect as far as a maintance and replacement schedule for the M3; this would be extremely helpful in creating an appropriate reserve. I have seen schedules for oil changes (ex. every 5-7,500 miles), but cannot remember any others.

If you do not agree with my choice to go off warranty or think a lease is a better investment than buying, you are entitled to your opinion and I can appreciate that. Also, I am aware that the engine could fail, the transmission could blow, a piano can fall on the car, etc., and I understand there are outlier situations. However, hopefully someone has an answer to the OP's question on forseeable maintenance/replacement issues and milestones so that I can feel comfortable that when I create/add to my reserve, it is appropriate, whatever that amount happens to be.

Thank you in advance and looking forward to hopefully someone having the answer....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #73
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

I have 55K and put about 18K/year on my 08 e90 6MT. No problems whatsoever. I change the oil every 7.5K and just spent $500 at my local mechanic to change all fluids - oil, tranny, diff and brake. Track about twice/year. The only other maintenance that I plan is plugs every 36K so that's at 66K for me.

I love this car and plan to keep it for years to come. I'm not overly concerned with costly repairs.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #74
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE93Vert View Post
In the old days, the service manual that came with the car had a recommended schedule for maintenace you could expect for the car (i.e, 5K oil change, 20K transmission fluid, 45K spark plugs, 75K clutch, etc., not real numbers just an example), and you could ask the dealership for a cost of the items in order to calculate your reserve budget. However, on my M3, the scheduling is completely electronic by the computer or as something breaks, I have not seen a maintenance/replacement schedule in my materials.
Have you seen Mike Miller's old school maintenance schedule? That should be able to help you in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #75
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttt View Post
Have you seen Mike Miller's old school maintenance schedule? That should be able to help you in this regard.
Unfortunately no, can you link it for me? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #76
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Mike would prefer people ask him directly. You can reach him at techtalk@roundel.org. He's usually pretty responsive. I've contacted him twice before, and both times I was able to get a reply back within 24 hours.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #77
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01
Hi guys, im a new M3 owner. I swapped an 08 Cayman S for a 08 M3 with 38k miles. This is gonna be my commuter car. I will put on approximately 15k-17k miles a year. I would like to hear from other M3 commuters on see who has the most miles and what types of repairs where necessary to keep the car running.

Is there anyone with over 100k miles on there cars yet?
I had 75000miles on my old E90 M3 with no issues lots of gas and tyres = to driving style. My new 2011 E90 M3 has 17000km and love my car! This is why I joined this forem!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #78
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttt View Post
Mike would prefer people ask him directly. You can reach him at techtalk@roundel.org. He's usually pretty responsive. I've contacted him twice before, and both times I was able to get a reply back within 24 hours.
I emailed him a while back also and got a response with the maintenance schedule within 24 hrs. Great guy btw.
      04-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #79
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
I emailed him a while back also and got a response with the maintenance schedule within 24 hrs. Great guy btw.
Thanks for the tip! Emailed Mike and got the updated maintenance schedule almost immediately (amazing response time), which is exactly what I needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #80
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE93Vert View Post
Thanks for the tip! Emailed Mike and got the updated maintenance schedule almost immediately (amazing response time), which is exactly what I needed.

Can someone post the maintenance schedule so we don't all swamp him with e-mails?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #81
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry, there is a specific request in the materials not to post the schedule on the internet, but to send him an email request.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #82
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep
Drives: Raptor, GT3RS,E92 M3,X5M50i

Can someone email it to me please brandaj1 at yahoo.com
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #83
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
Wait... you pay outright for a highly depreciating asset that you flip every three years, but you're telling the OP it is unwise to rack up miles? Ha alright, I must be misunderstanding you.

I drive my M3 about 17k miles per year and enjoy every time I get in the car, traffic or not. I have a higher-mileage lease and put down little upfront. I make my payments without taking any money out of my investments in the market to do so. The money you paid up front, which you presumably took out of the market (unless, even worse, you were all cash), went out the window while the World and S&P equity indices returned nicely positive. Maybe you should think this over.

60k miles without a single problem.
^this...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #84
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

2009 E92, purchased with 32k miles on it.

Currently at 39k (my DD with about 50 miles per day).

Issues to date:
1. Dead cells in battery
2. Leak in AC (valve port)
3. Idle actuator failure (stuck in position)
4. Engine coolant leak (vent line from TS housing to expansion tank)
5. Knobs on the AC grills keep breaking
6. Short in wire for iPod connector

All items above fixed by mfr std warranty.

Truth be told, I have been a little disappointed in the number of times I have had to go back to the dealer, but VERY thankful for the warranty.

But even with the minor inconveniences (my dealer is AWESOME), I smile EVERY time I start the car, turn, brake, accelerate, or see it.

I am completely in love with this machine and plan on keeping it for a long time...and will probably invest in the extended warranty (I did so much car work in my younger days that now I am kind of in a "let someone else fix it" phase right).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #85
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep

I had a BMW mechanic that told me the S65 engine starts really breaking in around 45k-50k miles. Anyone else ever hear this??
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #86
highlandsM3
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe - Jarez Black 6MT

Have had a z4 M coupe, 530D and now the M3, 70K on the z, 80k in one year on the 530D, kept up the servicing and have never had a problem.
I expect to spend more on maintaining the M cars, and more often, but i expect them to last just as well. (KMs not miles)

I think that a lot of problems are caused by mistreatment, the rest can be considered bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #87
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep

I just got the maintenance plan from Mike. He wanted me to share that he has no problem with us emailing this to each other as long as we don't post it anywhere
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #88
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

~43,000 miles on the clock (including ~20 track days), besides the normal consumables, the car is flawless!

I am following the Old School maintenance schedule and as you can see in the Thread on Oil Analysis Report, all is well for now.

My biggest concern down the road is not really on the mechanical parts, rather on the electronics...