BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
OEM Exhaust mod - Which version suites you?

Over the past few weeks that is probably the question that has popped up the most. As some of you have seen we did another member RO_TURBO's E93 M3 with the "straight through" method. Just the other day we did the non perforated method on another member yoyoman's E92 M3. It is hard to compare realistically the difference between the 2 methods on the computer/speakers also given the cabin noise will be different between the 2 chassis. Luckily RO_TURBO has set up a meet to our fellow BMW brethren so we can see in person how they sound. For those who cannot attend, I am making this thread to help you out.

Straight through method:

This method completely bypasses the muffler system and is identical to running your car essentially without the muffler itself. We use existing piping from your muffler and re work it to be as straight as possible. We seal each chamber back up, weld it and paint/seal it.

Pictures of installation can be found here:
Straight through method

Video of straight through (left) and AA Signature (right):

Non resonated pipe method:

What we do in this method is cut open the centre chamber of the muffler which houses the perforated pipes and muffler baffling. What we do is cut out the perforated pipe and replace it with a solid traditional pipe and re pack the baffling. What this does is isolate the sound waves to channel through the pipes opposed to letting it getting absorbed or muffled (hence the name muffler).

Pictures to see the differences:

Here is a stock video taken at operating temp:

Here is a video taken at operating temp which is modded "non perforated":

My thoughts and input:

To be honest, nothing gets to me better than nice exhaust tips. I am not a fan of the stock tips seeing as how companies like Active, Eisennmann, Akrapovic, Meisterchaft etc. have products that look like works of art in my opinion, coupled with a nice diffuser it is almost perfection. However, not everyone wants the look, that sound, or paying that amount to have more appealing exhaust notes. For that market there are these methods.

Out of the 2, I prefer non perforated. Why? The tone of the exhaust is dancing on the fine line of classy, and down right aggressive. I met yoyoman coincidently the other day and asked what he thought, and he actually regrets not doing it sooner and came out exactly how he wanted.

I also noted that my 2 clients are of a completely different generation...straight through being younger, and non perforated being older (not saying your an old geezer Tim!). For some that info may help decide which may be more suitable for their needs/wants (some people aren't even sure what they want). On the other hand, I'm 24 and love the non perforated method keeping in mind daily driving.

Tech details: All pics and videos taken with Iphone 4s which is not bad, but i noticed each video sounds higher pitched and raspier than in reality. Each video was taken with the owner's consent.

If there are any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me either by phone 905 670 9200, email bimmersport@rogers.com or PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

For the non-perforated video's, I was the first YouTube viewer for both video's!

I can't wait for the exhaust meet so that I can hear them in person!

Great job Jon!

P.S. The pictures aren't working!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
For the non-perforated video's, I was the first YouTube viewer for both video's!

I can't wait for the exhaust meet so that I can hear them in person!

Great job Jon!

P.S. The pictures aren't working!
+1

For me, comes down to which one has the least (or no) drone.

Jon, I suspect you will be flood with requests for this to be done soon after March 17
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
2K7
///M-thusiast
Rep
Drives: M3, M4 GTS

Thanks for the update Jon (and for the compliment .. lol)!

Glad to see Bimmersport has had a chance to do both versions of the OEM Exhaust mod =).

I think from all the videos I've seen of the two mods, the perf method seems to produce a higher pitched sound that is more stock like whereas the bypass seems to produce a lower/deeper pitch.

As you mention, an important consideration is whether or not your M3 is your daily driver. I've had a few family/friends in my car (non car enthusiasts) since it was done and they've all commented to the effect ... "I don't remember your car being so loud", so if it's your daily driver or you have other ppl who you share the car with, then you may want to hear both setups in person before committing to one.

My M3 isn't my daily driver so this wasn't a consideration. You'll also have to keep in mind that because I have an E93, more than likely things will sound louder inside regardless of which mod. Hopefully we can get Yoyoman to come out on the 17th and do a head to head comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Non-perforated..it is more civil while still offering some grunt
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
e92m3_f15x5
mmmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Please take video of a side by side if there's a chance. I can't come out on the 17th.

Thanks for organizing this.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot_ducati
Please take video of a side by side if there's a chance. I can't come out on the 17th.

Thanks for organizing this.
Bunch of us are planning on recording.

I have a Canon Rebel which records HD vid but mic isn't great.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Yoyoman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3/E92 JB

I have been following and read ALL the exhaust mod threads for over a year now. I guess being "older" (thanks Jon for calling me an old geezer), one of my life lessons thus far is always have a back up plan, so I tried to find an used E92 OEM exhaust just in case, around the GTA but to no avail (O asking way too much).

Another life lesson I learned is "life is too short, you only live once", so what the hell, I decided to get it done. Two questions I had: 1. which method should I go with, the new kid on the block, straight through method or the traditional nonperforated method? 2. whom/where can I trust with my car and able to do a good job of fabrication like this. Thank to RO_TURBO, the thread he posted answer my second question.

3rd life lesson of mine is "stick with what works". Because the "traditional" nonperforated method came out first, obviously had more posted threads, feedback from people who have done it, and I don't recall 1 negative feedback (except one guy whom thought it was not loud enough for him.....?). The car is my DD, may be I am "older" in the mod community, but I will admit, I am more conservative.......all I was looking for was a slightly to moderately louder, deeper/throatier and yet "refined" exhaust note (I actually sound like I know what I am talking about...), so I decided on the nonperforated version.

All I can say is I am thrilled with the end result. When I picked up the car and started her for the first time after the mod at Bimmersport I was like..WOW........and it has been almost a week now and every time I start the car I am still saying WOW. Like Jon @ Bimmersport said, I do regret not having this done sooner. Also, I like to say thank you to the guys @ Bimmersport for a fantastic job, Jon was very knowledgeable and informative, excellent customer service. Highly Highly recommended.

Also thanks to RO_TURBO for arranging the meet on March 17th. I haven't reply because my work schedule changes, not sure if I will be able to make it or not, but I will certainly try and hopefully make it out, so you, the exhaust connoisseurs can critic and judge for yourselves. For those that are not sure to do the exhaust mod or not, don't hesitate anymore. But as far as which method, I don't think you can go wrong with either one, I think it comes down to personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyoman View Post
I have been following and read ALL the exhaust mod threads for over a year now. I guess being "older" (thanks Jon for calling me an old geezer), one of my life lessons thus far is always have a back up plan, so I tried to find an used E92 OEM exhaust just in case, around the GTA but to no avail (O asking way too much).

Another life lesson I learned is "life is too short, you only live once", so what the hell, I decided to get it done. Two questions I had: 1. which method should I go with, the new kid on the block, straight through method or the traditional nonperforated method? 2. whom/where can I trust with my car and able to do a good job of fabrication like this. Thank to RO_TURBO, the thread he posted answer my second question.

3rd life lesson of mine is "stick with what works". Because the "traditional" nonperforated method came out first, obviously had more posted threads, feedback from people who have done it, and I don't recall 1 negative feedback (except one guy whom thought it was not loud enough for him.....?). The car is my DD, may be I am "older" in the mod community, but I will admit, I am more conservative.......all I was looking for was a slightly to moderately louder, deeper/throatier and yet "refined" exhaust note (I actually sound like I know what I am talking about...), so I decided on the nonperforated version.

All I can say is I am thrilled with the end result. When I picked up the car and started her for the first time after the mod at Bimmersport I was like..WOW........and it has been almost a week now and every time I start the car I am still saying WOW. Like Jon @ Bimmersport said, I do regret not having this done sooner. Also, I like to say thank you to the guys @ Bimmersport for a fantastic job, Jon was very knowledgeable and informative, excellent customer service. Highly Highly recommended.

Also thanks to RO_TURBO for arranging the meet on March 17th. I haven't reply because my work schedule changes, not sure if I will be able to make it or not, but I will certainly try and hopefully make it out, so you, the exhaust connoisseurs can critic and judge for yourselves. For those that are not sure to do the exhaust mod or not, don't hesitate anymore. But as far as which method, I don't think you can go wrong with either one, I think it comes down to personal preference.
Great write up and thanks for your thoughts!

Have been waiting for ages for the GTA community to chime in on this.

Hopefully you can make it out on the 17th!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I definitely want to see you out there on the 17th!

I'm leaning heavily towards this setup because I want to be more "stealth" and not draw the wrong attention to myself.

Does the exhaust drone at all when cruising around 120-145 km/h?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Yoyoman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3/E92 JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I definitely want to see you out there on the 17th!

I'm leaning heavily towards this setup because I want to be more "stealth" and not draw the wrong attention to myself.

Does the exhaust drone at all when cruising around 120-145 km/h?
No drone that I can appreciate at cruising speed, then again I am really no expert at this drone thing. Hope I can make it to the meet and have some expert opinions.

Also about the "stealth" thing, I was at Mississauga BMW today to get my rear roundel changed due to bubbling/cracking. I saw the techs on the ground checking out the exhaust and revving the engine, but couldn't figure out why it looked stock and yet it sounded so awsome.....he seemed puzzled
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No drone that I can appreciate at cruising speed, then again I am really no expert at this drone thing. Hope I can make it to the meet and have some expert opinions.

Also about the "stealth" thing, I was at Mississauga BMW today to get my rear roundel changed due to bubbling/cracking. I saw the techs on the ground checking out the exhaust and revving the engine, but couldn't figure out why it looked stock and yet it sounded so awsome.....he seemed puzzled
That's amazing haha!

Did you get the can painted black?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
2K7
///M-thusiast
Rep
Drives: M3, M4 GTS

Quote:
haha .. that's awesome
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

The straight through version makes the AA sig sound downright stock.

From the vids, the non-perforated and straight though sound similar IMO, but I'd take the more civil one on either a DD or a weekend car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy Gic View Post
That's amazing haha!

Did you get the can painted black?
We do paint the top portion flat black, but the bottom can be done as well if requested.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
xfactor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M4 6MT ZCP (AY)

Interesting write up John. You'll probably hear from me soon
      03-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I posted a video comparing the OEM exhaust vs Non-Perforated vs Straight Through here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663879

It was all filmed at the same time with the same camera so it should really help you guys decide which mod is best for you!

Cheers,
KJ
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
UNivek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4

Exhaust mod is something I have been pondering for the longest time. However, (perhaps I'm trying to talk myself out of it now) I love the sound of the engine and the mechanical sound it makes. Although I like to get a little boost of sound at the low end, don't want the exhaust note to overshadow the sound of that beautiful V8.

My M is also my DD with 2 little ones in the back (1 & 3 yrs) so definitely wouldn't want much increase in cruising noise.

Like to hear what people's thoughts on exhaust overshadow the engine sound.

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
dnotorious
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNivek
Exhaust mod is something I have been pondering for the longest time. However, (perhaps I'm trying to talk myself out of it now) I love the sound of the engine and the mechanical sound it makes. Although I like to get a little boost of sound at the low end, don't want the exhaust note to overshadow the sound of that beautiful V8.

My M is also my DD with 2 little ones in the back (1 & 3 yrs) so definitely wouldn't want much increase in cruising noise.

Like to hear what people's thoughts on exhaust overshadow the engine sound.

Thx!
+1 .... just had my son and I wouldn't have the heart to drone them out with exhaust mods just yet... only a few hrs ago i heard the AA note live with Sade another member on this forum... and it was 2 die for... but at 3000 bucks I rather vest in my some wheels and good rubber now...
I'm meeting up with some members for cruise early may... u better come

I guess us older chaps need a live demo to get our vote...
E90 2007 BMW 335i - 6SPD - Sparkling Graphite Metallic - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #20
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The "Non-Perforated" exhaust mod is a little louder, much throatier and does NOT drone at all.

If you are at constant throttle, you can't tell the mod's been done.

You can only hear it when you "get on it".

I think this route would be best for the both of you.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #21
TTSam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport Automotive View Post
We do paint the top portion flat black, but the bottom can be done as well if requested.
Jon I PM'd you regarding a quote for the non-perforated exhaust mod.

I got..................

Jon@Bimmersport Automotive has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

So please PM me on cost - time to install - and if the mod would affect any emission control Drive Clean type testing down the road, when the car is older.

Thanks............................
Appreciate 0