BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
DaveM391
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 DCT loaded M3

First Frequency Intelligent Valvetronic Exhaust review

Hello all,

This review is WAY overdue, but I have been so god darn busy at work that it's hindered me from taking bathroom breaks!

Anyways, flash back to about a month and a half ago and I am looking for an exhaust for my M3. I had a Meisterchaft copy on the car with a catless X pipe and it just wasn't cutting it. The sound was that of a "subdued" German sports car. I couldn't have that!

I wanted a valvetronic exhaust so I could fly under the radar and on the flipside go on the college campus locally and scare the children out of their socks.

There are a few Valvetronic options - Kreissig (ridiculous money), IPE, Armytryx (backorder I believe?), and Frequency Intelligent.

I was contacted by Auto Talent (Dave and Golan) about this exhaust they had.

We all know all these valved exhausts are made in Taiwan.

I asked Dave and Golan if the exhaust was made by the same manufacturer as the others and they replied no. I said, why not!?

They answered EVERY single one of my dumb questions without hesitation or annoyance. Every single one. I got a great price and was shipped the exhaust quickly.

I apologize for the lack of pictures. I will post them and a video ASAP!

The welds and construction are EXCELLENT.

Install for my tech was a breeze except for the fact that you need an adapter to run the vacuum for the valves that is NOT included. This should be clearly stated before install or by the sales team so you don't have to run out to find this impossible to find fitting.

Otherwise it's just the power and ground.

Tips are excellent, and are clean and durable. (I have driven this car 1,000 miles since the install.)

Onto the sound -

I have the catback version of the exhaust and a top speed catless X pipe.

With the valves closed it sounds like stock with just a bit more throat to it. PERFECT volume for cruising around town or going on the highway. Even catless there is NO drone. None. Sounds amazing at full throttle!

Valves open,

Wow. I don't know where to start. The sound down low reminds me of a straight piped C63 AMG. It's deep, throaty, but doesn't sound like an American muscle car.

Downshifts are SUPER dramatic (DCT trans). It spits out a volcano of noise at ANYONE near your vicinity that sounds like a 500 ton dragon spitting fire at a 6 foot man. A mix between a throaty V8 and an Aventador downshifting.

Cruising around there IS in fact drone with the valves open. Anywhere from 1,900-2500RPM I can hear it. At 2,100 it's nearly unbearable at WOT in 7th gear. Noise is meaty and throaty at partial throttle and it has a distinct "gurgle" to it.

At around 5,000 RPM the sound changes. From 5,0000-6,500 RPM the car sounds like a GT cup car, absolutely vicious. From 6,500 to redline (mine is 8,600) it sounds like an F430 on drugs. It has that metallicy "F1" ring to it that makes me want to redline every gear every day. If you listen to a straight piped F430 it has that note at 8,000 RPM.

******ON a side note, we dynod the car with the valves open and closed on a dynojet. Only other mod is a Turner Motorsport tune and catless X pipe. 30WHP DIFFERENCE WITH VALVES OPENED AND CLOSED!!!

By the flick of a button you are changing from a quiet sheep to a destructive lion which sounds like it wants to eat your heart from your living body. It's LOUD!

Anyways, EXCELLENT product from a great company and AutoTalent is HIGHLY recommended. David and Golan are top notch people selling high quality products.

I would NOT go back under any circumstance to any other exhaust. Forget Kreisseig, try this!!!!

VIDS and pics will be posted soon!

Last edited by DaveM391; 11-30-2015 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Nice write up. And would love to see how it looks on the e9x's. But with these valvetronic systems, there really isn't a good mic out there that can pick up the true sound of these systems (e90 m3 w/ipe). You have to hear it in person!

If you live in SoCal, i would love to do a side by side comparison of that system and IPE's
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
Andrewbeatz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Impressive so in other words you got the perfect sound which I havent seen many m3 doing so, I like the sound of borla but Ive heard it reduces some hp. cant wait to see the videos. when I get the car maybe I will install those in the near future.
If you could upload the videos with some drive by's and camera on exhaust that would be awesome. plus it would be nice to see at which revs the sound changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300 View Post
Nice write up. And would love to see how it looks on the e9x's. But with these valvetronic systems, there really isn't a good mic out there that can pick up the true sound of these systems (e90 m3 w/ipe). You have to hear it in person!

If you live in SoCal, i would love to do a side by side comparison of that system and IPE's
He does not live in SoCal but we have a few M3s locally with this exhaust. PM me and we can make it happen

Glad you're liking your exhaust!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Thanks for the review, DaveM!

Cant wait to see some videos!

Please clarify the gain from the dyno. What exactly was changed to gain the 30whp? The topspeed catless (mid) was on during the initial dyno pulls?

Can you go over the controls and how the valve operates (ie: remote and throttle position)?

Thanks! I was really looking forward to this review

Last edited by jdamore; 12-01-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
XxMerlinxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

What's the price on this one?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
DaveM391
Enlisted Member
Rep

My pleasure everyone I know it's worthless without pics and vids, but every time I get home from work I am dead, but I will get vids. Even if its not crystal clear.

The dyno difference is purely from the valves opened to closed. Obviously a huge restriction when they are closed.

Valves are operated by a remote with on and off.

Price, I honestly don't remember at this point, it was a while ago and I buy stuff for all my cars and other stuff all the time (so I don't check my statements because there is too much).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

Is it just me, or can no one supply a price for this unit? I am VERY interested, but the fact that i cannot find a price is starting to scare me haha.
Not trying to cause a stir, just am very curious, as I'm sure many others are.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
DaveM391
Enlisted Member
Rep

They are the only dealer, so I know it's not advertised. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary for a Valvetronic exhaust lol. But I will tell you at 8K RPM it sounds like a F430 on steroids...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
dsu*
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: no rides, i walk =)

Valvetronic Muffler with Quad Tips - $3,299
Catless X-pipe - $1,399
Add 100 or 200 Cell Catalyst - $600
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM391 View Post
Hello all,

This review is WAY overdue, but I have been so god darn busy at work that it's hindered me from taking bathroom breaks!

Anyways, flash back to about a month and a half ago and I am looking for an exhaust for my M3. I had a Meisterchaft copy on the car with a catless X pipe and it just wasn't cutting it. The sound was that of a "subdued" German sports car. I couldn't have that!

I wanted a valvetronic exhaust so I could fly under the radar and on the flipside go on the college campus locally and scare the children out of their socks.

There are a few Valvetronic options - Kreissig (ridiculous money), IPE, Armytryx (backorder I believe?), and Frequency Intelligent.

I asked Dave and Golan if the exhaust was made by the same manufacturer as the others and they replied no. I said, why not!?

They answered EVERY single one of my dumb questions without hesitation or annoyance. Every single one. I got a great price and was shipped the exhaust quickly.

Install for my tech was a breeze except for the fact that you need an adapter to run the vacuum for the valves that is NOT included. This should be clearly stated before install or by the sales team so you don't have to run out to find this impossible to find fitting.

Tips are excellent, and are clean and durable. (I have driven this car 1,000 miles since the install.)

Onto the sound -

With the valves closed it sounds like stock with just a bit more throat to it. PERFECT volume for cruising around town or going on the highway. Even catless there is NO drone. None. Sounds amazing at full throttle!

Valves open,

Wow. I don't know where to start. The sound down low reminds me of a straight piped C63 AMG. It's deep, throaty, but doesn't sound like an American muscle car.

Downshifts are SUPER dramatic (DCT trans). It spits out a volcano of noise at ANYONE near your vicinity that sounds like a 500 ton dragon spitting fire at a 6 foot man. A mix between a throaty V8 and an Aventador downshifting.

Cruising around there IS in fact drone with the valves open. Anywhere from 1,900-2500RPM I can hear it. At 2,100 it's nearly unbearable at WOT in 7th gear. Noise is meaty and throaty at partial throttle and it has a distinct "gurgle" to it.

At around 5,000 RPM the sound changes. From 5,0000-6,500 RPM the car sounds like a GT cup car, absolutely vicious. From 6,500 to redline (mine is 8,600) it sounds like an F430 on drugs. It has that metallicy "F1" ring to it that makes me want to redline every gear every day. If you listen to a straight piped F430 it has that note at 8,000 RPM.

******ON a side note, we dynod the car with the valves open and closed on a dynojet. Only other mod is a Turner Motorsport tune and catless X pipe. 30WHP DIFFERENCE WITH VALVES OPENED AND CLOSED!!!

By the flick of a button you are changing from a quiet sheep to a destructive lion which sounds like it wants to eat your heart from your living body. It's LOUD!

Anyways, EXCELLENT product from a great company and AutoTalent is HIGHLY recommended. David and Golan are top notch people selling high quality products.

I would NOT go back under any circumstance to any other exhaust. Forget Kreisseig, try this!!!!

Great review Dave!
BTW, how far "upstate" are you? I live in CNY!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #12
DaveM391
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ted,

I'm in the Binghamton area!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #13
j2nicee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

Welcome to the club!

I have the full version with x pipe and I can honestly say I have yet to hear ANYTHING as loud as it with valves opened, not even at WOT either. I very rarely ride around with them opened honestly because of how good it sounds with them closed and just how loud it is with them opened.

That's interesting about the loss of power though, I personally don't notice it, I do have the BPM Stage 2 tune so that might have something to do with it.

Anyone interested in buying, hit up Golan at AutoTalent and he will help you out
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #14
DaveM391
Enlisted Member
Rep

My X Pipe is a similar construction to theirs, both catless and resonator-less, so I'm sure we have very similar volumes and sounds.

The valves open is SUPER loud; but it's intoxicating!!!

I too have a tune on mine, so the power loss is for sure there
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
j2nicee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

Well damn, even more reason to ride around valves opened
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #16
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewbeatz88
Impressive so in other words you got the perfect sound which I havent seen many m3 doing so, I like the sound of borla but Ive heard it reduces some hp. cant wait to see the videos. when I get the car maybe I will install those in the near future.
If you could upload the videos with some drive by's and camera on exhaust that would be awesome. plus it would be nice to see at which revs the sound changes.
Err who told you that? I have the Borla ATAK on mine and you don't lose anything.
      12-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #17
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

Anyone got the FI exhaust in Canada? I have been following FI on youtube for a long time now and would love to hear how the exhaust sounds on an m3.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #18
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Would love to hear how this sounds in person. Any of you SoCal people with the FI exhaust coming to Vegas any time soon? Lunch on me for a quick ride to hear it 👍
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #19
p-lethal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Err who told you that? I have the Borla ATAK on mine and you don't lose anything.
What he said.

2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue - mOBridge DA1 \ Helix DSP Pro \ HAT Legatia L4SE Carbon \ HAT L1 Pro R2 \ HAT Clarus C10SW-D2 (2) \ Jehnert XE200 \ Hertz HDP1 \ Hertz HDP 4 \ Hertz HCP 2
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #20
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Video??
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #21
Nice Rumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

Where is it made and why didn't your sales team tell you about the missing adaptor?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #22
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM391 View Post
Hello all,

Onto the sound -

Valves open,

sounds pretty good, youtube has some videos.. however they didn't get any downshifts on there but it sounds pretty good! It's pretty close to OEM mod.. at least from the videos i could hear that!