BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-09-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Scheduled a test drive tomorrow....

Well I went and scheduled a test drive tomorrow at the local Infiniti dealer. I hope to drive a G37S 6MT. I know I'm gonna get flamed for even considering the G, but I've been thinking about practicality recently and I realized that I didn't NEED to spend $50k+ just to get a good car. I built a G37 with everything I consider essential (nav/studio on wheels with hard drive/premium package/etc) and came up to just $41k. That's a hard deal to pass over especially when the G compares so well to the 335 in the areas I really care about (mainly the interior). I would say that the G's interior and nav/stereo setup easily outdo the BMW's and I really love the exterior design as well. That being said, I realize that it is nowhere near as quick as the 335 nor can it be as easily upgraded power-wise. Still, coming from my Civic Si I am sure that the power will be more than adequate. Anyway, I also plan on driving the CTS, IS350, C350, and 335i as I want to make the most informed decision I can.

Another plus to the G37 route is that I already have almost enough money saved up for a decent down payment right now, as opposed to having to wait another 2-3 months to save enough for the $50k BMW.....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #2
BlakeB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1975 BMW 2002, 2008 335i

I have looked at alot of the same cars as you in this segment. I wouldnt feel bad for considering different cars - to make a big purchase like this you should feel out the market. You're doing the right thing - test drive them all and go with the car that speaks most to your needs. For the BMW, have you looked into European Delivery? I've priced out my well-optioned 335i coupe to come out to about 43-44k with Euro delivery; The Infiniti prices out only a few grand lower - this month however they are offering 2.9% APR and 500 cash back beyond your negotiated price. Basically what I am saying is both are relatively expensive cars; go with the one you like.

Here are some of my opinions:

G37S:
  • GREAT navi and electronics - miles ahead of BMW
  • Sport packages screams "sport" too much for my taste - throttle tip-in is exaggerated, the gearing isn't right
  • Hate the automatic; haven't driven the new one in stick, but didn't like the last generations manual much either
  • Sport suspension has been said to be harsh. I didnt notice is to be particularly harsh, just not as balanced for ride quality/agility as the bmw
  • design is entirely subjective, but I hate what they did with it, especially considering I thought the last g35 coupe was beautiful - I actually think the sedan is the better looking car of the two now.
    Coupe was more cramped compared to 3er
  • Hate the color choices - would have to go with silver or black with black interior - personally tired color combos for me.
  • The VQ motor has been a great motor for many years for alot of reasons. Two drawbacks are the rawkuss of vibrations as you go higher in the power band and its relative inefficiency with gas. Definitely a fun motor.
  • Guessing there will be less extraneous BS that breaks compared to bimmers (I have a 10 year old 7 series so I speak from experience) like window regulators and the like. However, the g37 just came out and looking at their boards they are having some problems as all first year models do. The BMW comes with "free maintenance" which is almost useless IMHO.

335i:
  • More refined driving experience, silky smooth i6 that I absolutely love
  • no turbo lag, boat load of torque
  • great manual and surprisingly stellar automatic
  • perfect gearing
  • more room
  • mildy retarded but good enough electronics
  • Beautiful design IMHO, inside and out
  • a tad more "grown up"

Hope that helps a little, good luck getting a new car!

Last edited by BlakeB; 01-09-2008 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep

^^^Thanks for the input. I wan't able to make my appointment today so I will probably go down there tomorrow or Friday....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
I have looked at alot of the same cars as you in this segment. I wouldnt feel bad for considering different cars - to make a big purchase like this you should feel out the market. You're doing the right thing - test drive them all and go with the car that speaks most to your needs. For the BMW, have you looked into European Delivery? I've priced out my well-optioned 335i coupe to come out to about 43-44k with Euro delivery; The Infiniti prices out only a few grand lower - this month however they are offering 2.9% APR and 500 cash back beyond your negotiated price. Basically what I am saying is both are relatively expensive cars; go with the one you like.

Here are some of my opinions:

G37S:
  • GREAT navi and electronics - miles ahead of BMW
  • Sport packages screams "sport" too much for my taste - throttle tip-in is exaggerated, the gearing isn't right
  • Hate the automatic; haven't driven the new one in stick, but didn't like the last generations manual much either
  • Sport suspension has been said to be harsh. I didnt notice is to be particularly harsh, just not as balanced for ride quality/agility as the bmw
  • design is entirely subjective, but I hate what they did with it, especially considering I thought the last g35 coupe was beautiful - I actually think the sedan is the better looking car of the two now.
    Coupe was more cramped compared to 3er
  • Hate the color choices - would have to go with silver or black with black interior - personally tired color combos for me.
  • The VQ motor has been a great motor for many years for alot of reasons. Two drawbacks are the rawkuss of vibrations as you go higher in the power band and its relative inefficiency with gas. Definitely a fun motor.
  • Guessing there will be less extraneous BS that breaks compared to bimmers (I have a 10 year old 7 series so I speak from experience) like window regulators and the like. However, the g37 just came out and looking at their boards they are having some problems as all first year models do. The BMW comes with "free maintenance" which is almost useless IMHO.

335i:
  • perfect gearing
  • more room
  • a tad more "grown up"

I completely agree with that. Those were exactly the same impressions I got when I test drove the car. Same with the 335i in comparison. Good points!

By the way, OP, if it's worth mentioning, I found the interior of the G37S to be much better looking in magazines and online screens. In real life, the design is still nice, but the materials are definitely not up to par. The "violet mood lighting" is overrated, and on the dash it's merely a decal. You can see the spotting as it fades, kinda like newspaper ink with the dotting. The washi style material is nice, but not exceptional. On par with the 3er's brushed alum I guess. The steering wheel looks and feels somewhat cheap to me. The seats have adjustable side and bottom bolsters. I found that nice. The rear is cramped, to the point of being unusable by my friends. All in all, it's more of a magazine queen on the inside if anything.

I personally like the spartan interior of the 3er, but that's my opinion. If there's one make out there that manages to do high tech interiors properly, it's Audi.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
335i:
  • perfect gearing
  • more room
  • a tad more "grown up"

Don't forget, the MUCH less expensive and easy tunability for TONS more power.
      01-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, any preferences as to which performance tuner chip we should use?^ jk jk, where's Terry when you need him.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
BlakeB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
The "violet mood lighting" is overrated, and on the dash it's merely a decal. You can see the spotting as it fades, kinda like newspaper ink with the dotting.
I completely agree with this as well - surprised i didnt mention it as it really turned me off. I've never really disliked gauges as much as these - something i stare at everyday that looks really tacky IMHO

the 335i is very easy to make HP with the ECU mods but I get the impression from the OP that both the G and the 335i stock will have more than enough power for street use.

--Blake
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ok, so I test drove the G37 today and.................I LOVED it!!!! I know, I know, the G is very unpopular on these boards, but I don't care. I loved everything about it. In person the exterior looks so good, the stock wheels are even perfect. On the inside though is where this car may have just won me over. The leather seats look and feel so much nicer than the dakota leather in the 335i, to me anyway. I've always liked smooth and soft leather and the Bimmer's is coarse and hard IMO. Also, the interior design is just miles beyond the BMW's. I think it may have something to do with the fact that most of my cars have been japanese and thats what I'm used to. I dunno, but when I sat in that thing I just felt like I was home. Honestly, I found the interior to be almost Acura-like.........and thats a huge compliment. I did a write up for these cars and am putting it in the e90 section if you wanna check it out......
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
BlakeB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Glad you fell in love with the G! Personal preferences are just that, and no one car is a jack of all trades. Have fun with the G - I myself made the decision to go with the 335i via euro delivery!

Blake
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

I love the G myself. Gorgeous car and I find Infiniti has done a great job with the redesign.

I still prefer the 335i but you clearly feel more at home in the G37. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'm glad everyone's happy for his decision rather than questioning him. Hope you're happy with your car and make sure to post pictures when you get it .
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

I'm happy you're glad
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

G37 is a great car and would be on my list if I came to my senses and decided against a 60+K car!

Jason
      01-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #14
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
I'm happy you're glad
damn straight you are. jk jk
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #15
BlakeB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

what colors you going with
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #16
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Should get it in dark silver or black.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #17
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm looking at a G37S 6MT in black obsidian/graphite leather with the premium package and nav (its on the lot so I'm hoping to get a good deal otherwise I would opt for the tech package as well)......
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

I'd ED a 335i and get it for $44K including the price of the trip.

Sorry, I'm a big Infiniti fan (my prior 2 cars M45 Sport > 545 and FX35 > X5), but in this case the performance enthusiast's choice is clearly the 335i.
Appreciate 0