BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

11-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #23
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

I have the H&R sport springs and an 18/15mm spacer setup....I do daily driving off the freeways in comfort mode. When I hit the freeways, I'm in sport mode. I have the Comp Pkg and the lowered stance looks great, the ride quality is "harder" and sporty feeling. I had a 335i previously and I got KW V2's - the ride was perfect. My next setup might be the KW Clubsports
      11-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Thanks fella's on all your inputs. I think a sleeve-over kit might be for me with the addition of the adjustable camber. I would adjust it to accomodate somewhere in the happy medium for street and light track use and minimze tire wear...if that is possible.

What Sleeve-on kits do you guys recommend then?

Cheers,
RB
KW Sleeve Kit is pretty common and does its job well, very little if any complaints on the forum. A Ground Control kit is bit more costly but comes with camber plates, I've heard mixed reviews on quality and customer service.

Note, a sleeve kit is not going to be any easier on your stock struts than springs. Benefits are you can corner balance. I also don't like the fact springs rake the car forward which is not natural for the suspension.

If you are now thinking springs, you could get Eibachs (like stock firmness) or H&R Sport (firm), but lowered with E36 bump stops. Another option could be DINAN springs that guarantee to not damage your struts, but your car won't be as low (similar to ZCP), but as you know it's a proven and reliable set-up with true performance benefits.

So many suspension choices and so little time...in my experience I was not happy with springs or a sleeve kit and eventually had to get coils.
      11-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #25
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
KW Sleeve Kit is pretty common and does its job well, very little if any complaints on the forum. A Ground Control kit is bit more costly but comes with camber plates, I've heard mixed reviews on quality and customer service.

Note, a sleeve kit is not going to be any easier on your stock struts than springs. Benefits are you can corner balance. I also don't like the fact springs rake the car forward which is not natural for the suspension.

If you are now thinking springs, you could get Eibachs (like stock firmness) or H&R Sport (firm), but lowered with E36 bump stops. Another option could be DINAN springs that guarantee to not damage your struts, but your car won't be as low (similar to ZCP), but as you know it's a proven and reliable set-up with true performance benefits.

So many suspension choices and so little time...in my experience I was not happy with springs or a sleeve kit and eventually had to get coils.

Tough choice I think. Just not sure what way to go if any. Thanks for your inputs on this.

Happy Holidays!
RB
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #26
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
Note, a sleeve kit is not going to be any easier on your stock struts than springs. Benefits are you can corner balance.
Again...what's the point of a sleeve over kit again other than dropping it like its hot? Doesn't the car come balanced in factory spec already?
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #27
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Again...what's the point of a sleeve over kit again other than dropping it like its hot? Doesn't the car come balanced in factory spec already?
No kidding. Did I recommend the sleeve kit? I'm just pointing out what you can do with it. My reco. is coils at the end anyhow.
      11-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I really just wanted camber plates, then you figure a used GC sleeve kit is only a few bucks more so why not.

Now somehow I have two kits and it's not twice as good as one.

PM for GC kit!
      12-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #29
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

OP - You haven't commented on the Dinan Spring recommendation that a few have made. I plan to keep my ZCP suspension on the M3 (although it is a little floaty for my tastes at 135+ MPH on the track). Having said that, I upgraded my 335i with Dinan Shocks and Springs and it totally transformed the car. Dinan has suspension tuning down pat and I think a non-professional or at least VERY experienced enthusiest would have trouble tuning a coil over or sleeve over with adjustable shocks as well as Dinan's products come shipped from them.

I'm sure the shocks had a lot to do with the improvement I experienced in the 335i, but just getting their springs seems like a no brainer. If you wait for a sale, the cost isn't really that bad either. Sometimes they have 25% off which neutralizes the normal Dinan premium.

Also, never underestimate the importance of suspension travel. On the 335, Dinan incuded update mounts which kept stock (or near stock) amount of travel.

Whichever you choose, good luck, but I expect you'd have ZERO regrets if you choose Dinan. Check how much they think it will lower. My 335i was only a tenth of an inch or so lower.
      12-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #30
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE_M3 View Post
OP - You haven't commented on the Dinan Spring recommendation that a few have made. I plan to keep my ZCP suspension on the M3 (although it is a little floaty for my tastes at 135+ MPH on the track). Having said that, I upgraded my 335i with Dinan Shocks and Springs and it totally transformed the car. Dinan has suspension tuning down pat and I think a non-professional or at least VERY experienced enthusiest would have trouble tuning a coil over or sleeve over with adjustable shocks as well as Dinan's products come shipped from them.

I'm sure the shocks had a lot to do with the improvement I experienced in the 335i, but just getting their springs seems like a no brainer. If you wait for a sale, the cost isn't really that bad either. Sometimes they have 25% off which neutralizes the normal Dinan premium.

Also, never underestimate the importance of suspension travel. On the 335, Dinan incuded update mounts which kept stock (or near stock) amount of travel.

Whichever you choose, good luck, but I expect you'd have ZERO regrets if you choose Dinan. Check how much they think it will lower. My 335i was only a tenth of an inch or so lower.

Thanks for touching on Dinan Sir. Yes, I did think about a Dinan kit too. But I figured per cost the sleeve over kit from the others might be cost effective. Still a tough choice. Will have to do more reaserch.

Cheers,
RB
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #31
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Thanks for touching on Dinan Sir. Yes, I did think about a Dinan kit too. But I figured per cost the sleeve over kit from the others might be cost effective. Still a tough choice. Will have to do more reaserch.

Cheers,
RB
OP what have you decided on?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #32
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
OP what have you decided on?

Not sure yet CS. Actually haven't given much thought to it lately. Working through a brake vibe issue that's not pointing to any one thing. But if I were to move on the suspension, I think I'd go with the which ever costs less. I could go with just springs and bump stops but I want to find out more about the ride performance if I go with that instead.

Cheers,

RB
Appreciate 0