BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #67
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
If it's not about money, the 1M would be the one. Why do you think people are paying a premium for it?

If your priority is driving a fun, light, torque-monster, then the 1M trumps.

The M3 only begins to win if you have other priorities like a bigger back seat or if you're religious about natural aspiration or if you can't drive stick .
It's useless to try to get this point across many of these people's heads...they simply cannot comprehend that to some of us the 1M is the better car, and not the "money-saving" or "secondary" option. Money not being an issue, I picked the 1M and would do so 100 times over an M3 - and this is simply my preference as it is the preference of many others.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #68
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
Having owned and still own multiple BMW's I can comfortably state there is not another BMW like it.
Absolutely true.

I've been using this line word for word since delivery in early May. There hasn't been any BMW that looks like the 1M or performs like the 1M. It is the most unique iteration the company has made since before the E30 M3.

I have four Bimmers titled in my name right now. Three others have moved on. They're all wonderful. When I just want to go have some fun, the 1M continues to be the one that gets fired up.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #69
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges when you trying to say the 1 series depreciation will be the same as the 1M. The e82 and e9X M3s never sold for over MSRP and BMW has produced thousands of them. The 1M is a one production year car with less than 900 units for the US and less than 2,500 worldwide. Figure that into your calculation and see what you get.
900 for the US?
I thought the 1M was on an order basis. If you wanted it you could order it?
      11-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #70
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTURANO View Post
2M?
The M2 will be the replacement for the 1M. Coupe based on the F22 chassis.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #71
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

Please go drive an 1M and you will see what we're talking about, it's just so much Fun!!! You already have a big car. This little bulldog will make you smile everyday.
      11-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #72
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
It's useless to try to get this point across many of these people's heads...
Why do you HAVE to get it across people's heads? Different strokes for different folks. You have the car you're happy with and people here have the car they are happy with, can't we just leave it at that?

I'll never understand why people that own other cars come to the M3 forum and scream how their car is better (even if it is true), and they are surprised that they get flamed for it. It is m3post.com after all...
      11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #73
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

why is there like 3 1M threads on the front page?

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #74
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

1M as a second car, it looks aggressive and not to mention better gas mileage than the M3. If it were your first I would say M3 all day, you already had an E93 aswell.
      11-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #75
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

M5
      11-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #76
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
Having owned and still own multiple BMW's I can comfortably state there is not another BMW like it.
Absolutely true.

I've been using this line word for word since delivery in early May. There hasn't been any BMW that looks like the 1M or performs like the 1M. It is the most unique iteration the company has made since before the E30 M3.

I have four Bimmers titled in my name right now. Three others have moved on. They're all wonderful. When I just want to go have some fun, the 1M continues to be the one that gets fired up.
I agree as well.

As a 17 year e30 m3 owner, the 1M is what got me to give up my e30 m3. Not the e36, e46, or the e92.

Congrats on the 1m purchase powerbeast, I hope you are as thrilled with it as other 1M owners.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #77
snowmants
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06S2K,'11EVO,'11Jeep,'13GL450

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

The M3 only begins to win if you have other priorities like a bigger back seat or if you're religious about natural aspiration or if you can't drive stick .
Or if your wife can't drive stick and it is really inconvenient to have a car that only one of you can drive. Say what you will, but in terms of cars that can be put in full automatic mode but are still completely awesome, there isnt much else out there that compares. (ok maybe the GTR...)
'06 Honda S2000 #555 TT5
'16 Porsche GT4
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #78
MattE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
If it's not about money, the 1M would be the one. Why do you think people are paying a premium for it?

what are you on? a loaded M3 is $75k vs a loaded 1M is $55. hence the M3 is more $$$.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #79
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Why do you HAVE to get it across people's heads? Different strokes for different folks. You have the car you're happy with and people here have the car they are happy with, can't we just leave it at that?

I'll never understand why people that own other cars come to the M3 forum and scream how their car is better (even if it is true), and they are surprised that they get flamed for it. It is m3post.com after all...
Dude I completely agree with every point you touched on. If you read the thread carefully from the beginning, it starts off with someone inquiring information about the 2 cars (so no one came to your forums criticizing anything). Not surprisingly, however, the majority of M3 owners provided similar immediate responses, with some sort of...what should we call it?...superiority complex, instead of simply providing valid points that could help the OP in making his decision. Personally I don't care, as I think it's rather pathetic that so many don't understand that "we have the car we're happy with" (in your own words) regardless of what sticker prices are.

Not that you should waste your time doing this, but if you go back and compare the number of M3 owners that have jacked 1M threads, versus 1M owners doing the opposite, you will see that the M3 number is larger by far.

Let's all move on, after all, the OP has made a decision and if you were to ask me, he made a wise one
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #80
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE92 View Post
what are you on? a loaded M3 is $75k vs a loaded 1M is $55. hence the M3 is more $$$.
Correct, now go look at the premiums being asked above msrp on the few that are left, besides the ones that have been purchased above msrp already
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #81
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:

I might be in the minority, but I find high-revving NA engines a lot more fun to drive than torquey turbos. Nothing religious about it. I do agree that the 1M is a lot more fun to drive because of it's size, but calling the car light is a bit of an overstatement. Under 3000lbs is what I would consider light today. The M3 doesn't feel much heavier, it just feels a lot bigger. I'm a huge fan of the 1M though. If I were to buy today I'd want a 1M, but not for much more than MSRP that's for sure.

Everyone spends so much energy arguing about which car performs better, but the fact is 95% of the owners of these cars (including me) can't drive either one more than 6/10th of what these cars are capable of on the track. I've had much slower cars pass me at the track and I've passed much faster cars. Unless you have a ton of experience like M3 Adjustor or Advevo, neither car will make you faster where it counts.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:23 AM   #82
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
... and more interior room (especially in the pedal area - IMO the 1M is cramped and the pedals are offset from the seat/steering wheel which makes it uncomfortable on a long commute)...
That's certainly an unique comment on the 1M, assuming you noticed this in a 1M, I would think all E82's have the same pedal setup?

Do others that have experienced both a M3 and 1M feel the pedaling is different/worse/better in either car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #83
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
That's certainly an unique comment on the 1M, assuming you noticed this in a 1M, I would think all E82's have the same pedal setup?

Do others that have experienced both a M3 and 1M feel the pedaling is different/worse/better in either car.
Yes, I've noticed this in all 1 series, including the 1M. The center tunnel widens (relative to an e9x) as you move toward the front of the car and my guess is they did this to move the engine and transmission as far back as possible for better weight distribution. The wider tunnel forces the pedals to be closer to the center tunnel and, IMO, gives them a crowded, offset feeling.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #84
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Dude I completely agree with every point you touched on. If you read the thread carefully from the beginning, it starts off with someone inquiring information about the 2 cars (so no one came to your forums criticizing anything). Not surprisingly, however, the majority of M3 owners provided similar immediate responses, with some sort of...what should we call it?...superiority complex, instead of simply providing valid points that could help the OP in making his decision. Personally I don't care, as I think it's rather pathetic that so many don't understand that "we have the car we're happy with" (in your own words) regardless of what sticker prices are.

Not that you should waste your time doing this, but if you go back and compare the number of M3 owners that have jacked 1M threads, versus 1M owners doing the opposite, you will see that the M3 number is larger by far.

Let's all move on, after all, the OP has made a decision and if you were to ask me, he made a wise one
Oh I know, I believe it. It's just that it's definitely an M3 forum, so trying to convince people your car is better, even if it is, is going to be like beating your head against a wall

FWIW, I like the 1M, it's just that I couldn't wait and wanted the M3
      11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #85
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I find high-revving NA engines a lot more fun to drive than torquey turbos. Nothing religious about it. I do agree that the 1M is a lot more fun to drive because of it's size, but calling the car light is a bit of an overstatement. Under 3000lbs is what I would consider light today. The M3 doesn't feel much heavier, it just feels a lot bigger. I'm a huge fan of the 1M though. If I were to buy today I'd want a 1M, but not for much more than MSRP that's for sure.

Everyone spends so much energy arguing about which car performs better, but the fact is 95% of the owners of these cars (including me) can't drive either one more than 6/10th of what these cars are capable of on the track. I've had much slower cars pass me at the track and I've passed much faster cars. Unless you have a ton of experience like M3 Adjustor or Advevo, neither car will make you faster where it counts.
Agreed with the exception of the topic of weight. Sure, 32xx lbs. may not place a 1M in the "extreme lightweight" category, however, at about 4-500 lbs. lighter than the M3 it DOES feel much lighter and nimbler, also contributed by the shorter wheelbase. I'm sorry but if the 1M (or any 1 series for that matter) doesn't feel much lighter/nimbler to you, you may be experiencing some sensory issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Oh I know, I believe it. It's just that it's definitely an M3 forum, so trying to convince people your car is better, even if it is, is going to be like beating your head against a wall

FWIW, I like the 1M, it's just that I couldn't wait and wanted the M3
Again, that was not the purpose of this thread per OP, and no one tried to convince anyone of anything - not sure where you're getting this from.

Also, way way back when I ordered my 1M and the allocation game was running (before I was guaranteed a car), in the middle of my frustration I considered the possibility of an e92 M3 as a second option (yes the M3 comes second in preference for me), so I did something that I ended up regretting shortly after: I started a thread very similar to this one, and instead of getting anything positive out of it, all I got was a bunch of "I can't believe you're telling us you prefer the 1M over the M3" responses. Very stupid/immature if you asked me....bunch of sensitive people.

Anyway, the end. OP has purchased a car
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #86
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

You guys have it all wrong. E46 M3 FTW. Its lighter than the current M3, better looking than the current M3 and (yes-god awful looking 1M) and has the glorious S54 engine that revs upto 7900 rpm. With design-BMW got it right with the E46. Nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #87
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
You guys have it all wrong. E46 M3 FTW. Its lighter than the current M3, better looking than the current M3 and (yes-god awful looking 1M) and has the glorious S54 engine that revs upto 7900 rpm. With design-BMW got it right with the E46. Nuff said.
good car in ///M history, but unless we are talking about a CSL here, I'll take my "god awful looking but that people can't stop looking at and complimenting" 1M thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #88
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

You guys know the M2 is going to destroy the 1M in every aspect right? And it probably won't cost much more especially considering some 1M owners paid over MSRP (LOL). I just don't see the point in getting all hyped up over a end-of-life parts bin car that will be trumped by a regular production vehicle next gen.

I drove it. It was underwhelmingly mediocre. Personally I don't fall for the journalism hype. What NEW BMW (or .. any new car for that matter) wasn't the greatest invention in the company's history according to automotive journalism?

The 1M is good for what it is (albeit even overpriced). Sorry but it's no M3. If you want a turbocharged lightweight dimensionally smaller coupe, be smart and wait for the M2 (and get a discount) and don't bother with the 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I find high-revving NA engines a lot more fun to drive than torquey turbos. Nothing religious about it.
This. I feel like people just notice the torque a lot more because they spend most of their time bragging about "around the town power" e.g., low rpm, in-gear. Personally I don't get it. If you like the sound of vacuum cleaners and zipping around public streets quietly with all that torque.. power to ya.

Last edited by stefan; 11-23-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0