BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

02-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
R comps are good for almost a 2 second reduction in time at Laguna so I wouldn't call that + lightweight 18's near stock, but that's a really good time nonetheless.

I'm assuming you are running with disc off? I feel like its really hard to come down in time with any sort of traction control on.

For me, modding the car makes it more fun to drive. For example camber plates got rid of most of my under steer and made the car a lot more enjoyable at the track. It brought my times down, but so does more experience. I just want my car to be fun to drive at the track while I get faster.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

SP33DRCR, what i am trying to say is if we were going to T2 together and I would start braking 50f before mark 3 and you would brake at mark 3 , I would be on the gas rotating my car through the turn much earlier while you will be trail braking and the speed at the exit will be 3-4mph slower compare to mine.

Regarding your brakes overheating issue, I would suggest to put R888 a side and use a street tire ... That itself will help you to solve the heating issue ... Tires like R888 have a much better grip and brakes have to work much much harder. You don't see race cars running slicks and some sort of stock brakes ... They all have BBK because all those components works together. If you decide to keep running R888 sooner or later you will run out of option on how to make your stock brakes perform better.

Consider running at least RBF600 or 660 fluid and maybe Endless pads. Last time I was there with Orange car I had it all completely stock (tires, pads, fluid, suspension, etc.) and was running high 1:47. Next Monday I am planing on putting on Endless / RBF600 and see if i can improve that time.

You should also consider data logging your runs so you can see which areas you need to work on ... It's a great tool that will make you faster is you know where to correct mistakes. SOLO DL will be a great unit to use and learn how you do at the track.

PM me if you want to get some more info.

Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #25
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP33DRCR View Post
And another

The white M3 is my buddy Jim, and this is the last session of the day.
Nice driving. Dig this rearview video!
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
SP33DRCR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop View Post
Regarding your brakes overheating issue, I would suggest to put R888 a side and use a street tire ... That itself will help you to solve the heating issue ... Tires like R888 have a much better grip and brakes have to work much much harder. You don't see race cars running slicks and some sort of stock brakes ... They all have BBK because all those components works together. If you decide to keep running R888 sooner or later you will run out of option on how to make your stock brakes perform better.
Hey that's right--I remember chatting with you about the Lime Rock you were driving.

I've been running the RE-11s on the car for a pretty long time. They are a great tire, and I have about six track days on the set on my car right now--in addition to about 35,000 street miles.

But I don't believe that running them will help with my heat issues. When I melted/burst the brake line at T'Hill, I was running the RE-11s. And I had major heat/pad wear issues with almost every track day I've run on the stock tires.

It probably comes down to driving style and perhaps a BBK. I am not sure how much it helps me, but I do tend to brake very late & hard--and I probably slow the car more than I need to. I did ride with an instructor, and he suggested that I "stab the brakes, and then turn." I try to follow that advice, but don't always suceed. It does seem easier on the brakes, tho. I do have a Skip Barber class coming up soon--maybe that'll help.

And since I seem to melt just about every pad out there (street or r-compound tires), and my DIY ducting hasn't improved things at all, I am just not 100% sure if I will see any meaningful improvement with a BBK. I just think the car needs some serious Jenny Craig.

Fortunately, when my brake line burst, it happened just after I returned to the pits. It could have been pretty bad if it happened a minute earlier:

Last edited by SP33DRCR; 02-06-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #27
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP33DRCR View Post
Hey that's right--I remember chatting with you about the Lime Rock you were driving.

I've been running the RE-11s on the car for a pretty long time. They are a great tire, and I have about six track days on the set on my car right now--in addition to about 35,000 street miles.

But I don't believe that running them will help with my heat issues. When I melted/burst the brake line at T'Hill, I was running the RE-11s. And I had major heat/pad wear issues with almost every track day I've run on the stock tires.

It probably comes down to driving style and perhaps a BBK. I am not sure how much it helps me, but I do tend to brake very late & hard--and I probably slow the car more than I need to. I did ride with an instructor, and he suggested that I "stab the brakes, and then turn." I try to follow that advice, but don't always suceed. It does seem easier on the brakes, tho. I do have a Skip Barber class coming up soon--maybe that'll help.

And since I seem to melt just about every pad out there (street or r-compound tires), and my DIY ducting hasn't improved things at all, I am just not 100% sure if I will see any meaningful improvement with a BBK. I just think the car needs some serious Jenny Craig.

Fortunately, when my brake line burst, it happened just after I returned to the pits. It could have been pretty bad if it happened a minute earlier:

If you don't think BBK will help you then your are screwed but for the rest of us they seem to work quite well!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #28
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Regarding brakes - get a BBK. I installed the StopTech 380 on the front only and couldn't be happier! Don't waste time and money.

I went through the rather expensive route of brake fluid (Motul 600 and 660), PFS 06 pads, Pagid Yellow RS27 pads, Carbotech XP21 pads, Cantrell brake ducts.
The result was pads lasting two days instead of one day, and replacing the stock burnt out calipers with new ones. Its a bummer ending your track weekend early because you've burned through $400 worth of front brake pads.

The BBK on the front has meant the pads last 5 days or 6 days, and the braking is much much better. The pads are cheaper too.
      02-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

radiantm3 has 380 Brembo and he runs Endless pads ... I believe he has 6 track days on them and said they are still good for another 2 or 3 ...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #30
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

I have 365/345 Brembo and got 14 track days with Endless ME20 pads on the front, and 12 days so far with Endless MX72 pads on the front. The rear is still Endless ME20 (26 track days).
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0