BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

07-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
335xC4Now
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xDrive Coupe

ED - 2 Days - Can I make it to Zurich via Stelvio?

Hi;
ED set for October 8th. I have just 2 days so I wondered if I could drive to Innsbrook the first night. Then over Stelvio with the 2nd night in Zurich for drop-off and hotel before flight home?
Or am I better off staying closer to Munich? We (my son on semester abroad in Budapest will fly in to join me) want some autobahn and mountains; best of both worlds!

Car is exciting to think about but how restrictive is break-in before we can enjoy it?

Space Gray
Red Novillo
Carbon Leather
DCT
Performance, Cold Weather, Convenience Pckgs
Sound, XM and Apps
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Innsbruck the first day is no problem, as long as you get an early start. Innsbruck is great, I recommend the Hilton there.

I didn't go to Zurich, but it looks doable. Just get an early start, so you can take your time through the mountains.

I followed break-in to the book... but some folks hit the 'Ring. I say use common sense. You don't go very fast through those mountain passes, anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

I drove around the ring while minding the breakin limits. It wasn't difficult. The ring is unlike any track I have ever driven (I have done 200+ trackdays) and I was frightened to go any faster than 5500 RPM on the few laps I did get to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Nice package; congrats. I observed break-in limits during ED. The opportunities to actually exceed them safely are much more limited than one might think. A lot of places are speed-controlled. Many others are just congested, or the left lane is a bit too busy for exceeding 170 kph anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
335xC4Now
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Innsbruck the first day is no problem, as long as you get an early start. Innsbruck is great, I recommend the Hilton there.

I didn't go to Zurich, but it looks doable. Just get an early start, so you can take your time through the mountains.

I followed break-in to the book... but some folks hit the 'Ring. I say use common sense. You don't go very fast through those mountain passes, anyways.
Hi Sam;
I am scheduled for delivery at 12:20. Ride to Innsbrook is mostly autobahn, correct? If so I guess I wonder how fast we can drive the new car.

Do you know how long it takes to drive:
1) Innsbrook to Stelvio
2) Stelvio

I still hope this idea works out but it might be trying for too much. Alternative seems to be Munich > Garmish >Mittenwald > Innsbrook > Munich or the Berchtesgarden area. We really wanted a true alpine pass.

Thanks!!

Last edited by 335xC4Now; 08-02-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
335xC4Now
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
I drove around the ring while minding the breakin limits. It wasn't difficult. The ring is unlike any track I have ever driven (I have done 200+ trackdays) and I was frightened to go any faster than 5500 RPM on the few laps I did get to do.
Hey smmmurf;
Lakes or mountains on the way to the Ring? Distance is pretty good for a 2 day trip...
It just seems to be in the wrong direction from the Alps or am I missing something.

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xC4Now View Post
Hi Sam;
I am scheduled for delivery at 12:20. Ride to Innsbrook is mostly autobahn, correct? If so I guess I wonder how fast we can drive the new car.

Do you know how long it takes to drive:
1) Innsbrook to Stelvio
2) Stelvio

I still hope this idea works out but it might be trying for too much. Alternative seems to be the Berchtesgarden area but we really wanted a true alpine pass.

Thanks!!
Someone else can chime in, but there's not much "fast" (unlimited?) Autobahn headed south out of Munich towards Austria, as I recall.

You better ask if you can move your pick-up time to earlier in the day. If you pick up at noon-ish, you're going to want to spend a while with the car, taking pictures, etc. You won't hit the road until at least an hour later, minimum. I know it's only supposed to take a couple of hours to get to Innsbruck, but once you get into Austria, it is really pretty. You may want to take your time going through there. And the roads get rather twisty.

Innsbruck to Stelvio is another couple of hours. I would not try to make it all the way to Stelvio on the first day, if you're picking up your car at 12:20. I'd try to avoid driving at night, if at all possible, especially considering the terrain.

Here's one of my favorite pics from Austria. I can't remember the exact area. South of Pfunds, for certain.

Last edited by SamS; 08-02-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
acevo8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Evo 8

I just made a similar trip about a week ago, I left the Welt around 2:30pm and arrived late in the evening because I wasn't rushing to get there, as well as hit some rain storms that required stopping along the way due to visibility. My original plan was to stop in Innsbruck and then to Stelvio, but ended up changing it and going directly from Munich to Stelvio (typically about a 4 hour drive). Since you're stopping at Innsbruck, if you continued on to Stelvio, it'll be dark by the time you get there (depending on how long you're staying at Innsbruck). As suggested earlier, you want to see Stelvio and those roads during the daytime, it's really worthwhile.

There are not a lot of unlimited speed sections from Munich to Stelvio, and in fact you'll be going through a lot of towns along the way which requires you to slow down. You won't be exercised too much to "not follow" the break in procedures. There was a few areas with construction too that created some traffic congestion, but not to a point of stop and go traffic, just slower speeds. I hope that helps you make your decision. If not, here's a teaser pic of what you can see in the alps

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
335xC4Now
Rep

Those pix give me goosebumps!

Those are both such great pix! Seeing the M where it is meant to be...

Very helpful comments. Thanks, guys. My options are beginning to come together.

How long to drive Stelvio??

Once through Stelvio what is the best way back to Munich? Or another dop-off center?

The thought of being able to do this in 2 days is great!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are both such great pix! Seeing the M where it is meant to be...
Too bad you can't stay longer.... There are so many beautiful things to see, including Fussen, on the way to Innsbruck/Stelvio.

Quote:
About 4-5 hours from Munich, or 3 hours from Innsbruck. Like I said, get that delivery moved up, because you'll want to take your time driving and stopping for little breaks and to take pictures.

Quote:
Once through Stelvio what is the best way back to Munich? Or another dop-off center?

The thought of being able to do this in 2 days is great!
Do you have navigation in your car? Munich would be the easiest drop-off point. You should have to make your appointment with HARMS pretty soon for the drop off.

You will have a blast, but give yourself plenty of time for everything you want to do. No sense in rushing things, or having your whole day thrown off by things out of your control.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
acevo8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Evo 8

Quote:

I'm assuming you meant driving the Stelvio pass itself, which will vary based on traffic. I would say buffer 1.5-2 hours for it if you were to backtrack back to Munich (you can either turn right around, or detour a bit).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
335xC4Now
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevo8 View Post
I'm assuming you meant driving the Stelvio pass itself, which will vary based on traffic. I would say buffer 1.5-2 hours for it if you were to backtrack back to Munich (you can either turn right around, or detour a bit).
Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks!
Would the detour be Umbrail Pass?
I hoped to drive back towards Munich through Mittenwald then the gorge near G-P.
Appreciate 0