BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #199
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

does anyone know of a bulletin number?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #200
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
does anyone know of a bulletin number?
+1
      10-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #201
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Bulletin No: 0028000100
Issue Date: 6th October 2008
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #202
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Bulletin No: 0028000100
Issue Date: 6th October 2008
according to my SA, that's a defect code
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #203
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

my SA did find this:
Quote:
SUBJECT
M3 with DCT with Drivelogic - Gearbox Emergency Program with FC 5060

MODEL
E90, E92, E93 M3 with S65 and Double-clutch Transmission produced up to
09/08

SITUATION
The customer may complain that intermittently the red "Gearbox Emergency
Program" indicator is displayed in the cluster or in the CC. The fault
code 5060 ("Parking lock - electrical fault at the parking lock magnet")
is stored in the DCT transmission control module, in conjunction with
the CAS fault A0B1 (Input selector lever position - implausible).

CAUSE
DCT software error

SOLUTION
On a customer complaint basis only, check the vehicle's integration
level.

If the integration level is E89x-08-03-540 or lower, then reprogram
and/or recode the complete vehicle with a current Progman version
(target integration level is E89x-08-09-515 or higher, available since
the release of Progman V31).
hope this isn't a repost because i don't really feel like reading back 10 pages
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #204
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

My SA told me it is Progman 31.1.0 that fixes at least the following for both MY 2008 and 2009 M3s:

(1) A sudden drop in idle when slowing to a stop. This may cause a “stalling” effect. The vehicle restarts immediately and runs normally.

(2) An intermittent red “Emergency Gearbox Program” accompanied by a “Parking Lock Magnet” fault and / or an “Input Selector Lever Position” fault.

It will be available at my dealer later this week.

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93

Last edited by AZ-BMW; 10-13-2008 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #205
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sure hope it addresses more than these issues. I suspect it does. Others have reported being very pleased with the update I guess you can't really expect a company to list every bug in their code, especially when some might be a liability issue. I'll get the software installed tomorrow myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 01:15 AM   #206
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

For what it is worth I just spoke with a techincal guy at BMW Australia. They have a campaign which was emailed to all Australian service departments on 3 October. The campaign calls for a software update which applies to all M DCT transmissions in Australia and cures stalling and engine cut out on down shift. I don't have a bulletin number, but he was pretty sure that all service departments in Australia should be installing the update. My SA knew nothing about the software update, so the guy from BMW Australia was going to call him to make sure that he was updated.

Hope that is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 01:39 AM   #207
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Sure hope it addresses more than these issues. I suspect it does. Others have reported being very pleased with the update I guess you can't really expect a company to list every bug in their code, especially when some might be a liability issue. I'll get the software installed tomorrow myself.
In my opinion it has.

There is no doubt the gearbox is smoother going back down the gears itself and it's smoother going up them, either in S or D modes. The paddle lag is the other noticeable difference IMO, but as I had no experience of redline shifting before the upgrade all of my comments are based on other people's accounts, plus my own experience of part throttle shifting and on this it's better.

The surge is the other thing which I feel though am not 100% is different, to me the jerk feels less on part throttle than before but whether this is a definite is possible to prove without sample two versions side by side.

Anyway I'm very happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 01:44 AM   #208
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
In my opinion it has.

There is no doubt the gearbox is smoother going back down the gears itself and it's smoother going up them, either in S or D modes. The paddle lag is the other noticeable difference IMO, but as I had no experience of redline shifting before the upgrade all of my comments are based on other people's accounts, plus my own experience of part throttle shifting and on this it's better.

The surge is the other thing which I feel though am not 100% is different, to me the jerk feels less on part throttle than before but whether this is a definite is possible to prove without sample two versions side by side.

Anyway I'm very happy with the results.
You hit on it correctly.

Part Throttle - Smooth now.
Wide Open Throttle - Same as before (At least to me)

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 01:48 AM   #209
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
according to my SA, that's a defect code
I only 'copy and paste' from another post. I never check myself, so sorry if it was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #210
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS14 View Post
For what it is worth I just spoke with a techincal guy at BMW Australia. They have a campaign which was emailed to all Australian service departments on 3 October. The campaign calls for a software update which applies to all M DCT transmissions in Australia and cures stalling and engine cut out on down shift. I don't have a bulletin number, but he was pretty sure that all service departments in Australia should be installing the update. My SA knew nothing about the software update, so the guy from BMW Australia was going to call him to make sure that he was updated.
I mailed my dealer her in Finland just 2 days ago - again since the latest contact 3 weeks ago gave no hint of SW update. But today I got a call from service dept and they asked to bring my M3 to SW update next week. So, things are going on in northern Europe as well!

Can't wait testing the new update. I'll try to make track as soon as possible, perhaps the same day I'll get the car from service.
      10-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #211
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
We need a summary of known M-DCT issues, "moderated" by those of us "in the know". I am sticking to issues that have been reported by reputable members with verification from others. I thought about making a separate thread for this but let's just get these down right here in one place for now. Not sure if I will edit this post or make new posts.
  1. Temporary loss of power at low (speed+gear+rpm) which happens just after some throttle "indecisiveness".
  2. Infrequent ignored upshifts.
  3. Engine stalling during take off.
  4. Ignored downshifts during on limit braking.
  5. Shifts from 2->6 and 3->7 in S mode occuring without shift requests during on limit cornering.

I am sticking to clear bugs here and personally do not consider the following to be part of this list above:
  • Delay between paddle actuation and begining of clutch operation
  • Low throttle sensitivity during low to moderate acceleration take off
Swamp I'd like to request an addition to your list.

I finally got my 1200 mile service today and so on the way home (I took the long way) I was able to test out Launch Control. I tried it four different times. Now two of these I botched myself due to pulling the paddle before the transmission shifted on its own. However two of them I did not touch the paddles, and the engine absolutely did bump the rev limiter in first gear just like I have heard other people report on this board before. I should add that I am certain that I did not lift my foot from the gas pedal because once redline came up again in second gear, the shift did happen automatically, and without hitting the limiter, just as expected.

One theory on this is that the LC program is falling victim to the same transmission behavior that drivers fall victim too when trying to shift at redline in first gear - the delay. The program of course is not actually trying to anticipate when to shift using the lights or anything of that sort. But nevertheless it seems to hold on to first just a little to long before enacting the shift.

To me this is a definite problem. I am not sure everyone will agree.

Oh, and the car is an absolute beast now that I can rev to 8400. Very fun!

Last edited by mkoesel; 10-14-2008 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #212
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

My invoice says software 31.1 was installed.

My car shifts instantaneously now...before I had a lag. It now shift like I thought it would BEFORE I bought the car. When I did finally get my car, I thought, this lag sucks, wtf? Now....it is stellar.

No idea if this will solve my stalling, power loss, and skipping gear issues, but so far, it is definately an improvement. More miles will tell.

I can definately tell you though, MY CAR shifts nearly instantaneously now. Before, there was something like a .3 second lag.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #213
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Tim, have you tried out Launch Control since you got the car back?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #214
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post

I can definately tell you though, MY CAR shifts nearly instantaneously now. Before, there was something like a .3 second lag.
Was this in all driving and sequential modes or just a certain one?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #215
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Swamp I'd like to request an addition to your list.

I finally got my 1200 mile service today and so on the way home (I took the long way) I was able to test out Launch Control. I tried it four different times. Now two of these I botched myself due to pulling the paddle before the transmission shifted on its own. However two of them I did not touch the paddles, and the engine absolutely did bump the rev limiter in first gear just like I have heard other people report on this board before. I should add that I am certain that I did not lift my foot from the gas pedal because once redline came up again in second gear, the shift did happen automatically, and without hitting the limiter, just as expected.

One theory on this is that the LC program is falling victim to the same transmission behavior that drivers fall victim too when trying to shift at redline in first gear - the delay. The program of course is not actually trying to anticipate when to shift using the lights or anything of that sort. But nevertheless it seems to hold on to first just a little to long before enacting the shift.

To me this is a definite problem. I am not sure everyone will agree.

Oh, and the car is an absolute beast now that I can rev to 8400. Very fun!
I think I experienced the same problem but not entirely sure. I know I botched LC a couple times myself. It all happens fairly fast and somewhat violently. Counting me out as one to confirm can you point out the independent post with the identical problem. It has nothing to do with me "trusting" you or "owning" this list I simply think this litmus test of two independent identical reports is a good one to call a problem official. In addition there are so many reports of bugs that are definitely not bugs.

As a side not my software is being installed as I type...

And I will add the short shift problem in D5 (around 5-6k rpm) under heavy or full throttle. I argued a bit about this with another member who called this "lag". This problem is definitely present.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #216
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Known issues:
  1. Temporary loss of power at low (speed+gear+rpm) which happens just after some throttle "indecisiveness".
  2. Infrequent ignored upshifts.
  3. Engine stalling during take off.
  4. Ignored downshifts during on limit braking.
  5. Shifts from 2->6 and 3->7 in S mode occuring without shift requests during on limit cornering.
  6. Early/"short" shifts at 5-6k rpm in D5 under heavy or full throttle

I am sticking to clear bugs here and personally do not consider the following to be part of this list above:
  • Delay between paddle actuation and begining of clutch operation - Seems to have been greatly improved with software v 31.1.
  • Low throttle sensitivity during low to moderate acceleration take off
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 06:59 AM   #217
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think I experienced the same problem but not entirely sure. I know I botched LC a couple times myself. It all happens fairly fast and somewhat violently. Counting me out as one to confirm can you point out the independent post with the identical problem. It has nothing to do with me "trusting" you or "owning" this list I simply think this litmus test of two independent identical reports is a good one to call a problem official. In addition there are so many reports of bugs that are definitely not bugs.
No problem swamp, I hear you. Here is a thead where icemang brings up the issue:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155088

And skierman also chimed in saying it happened to him as well. His theory is it has something to do with wheelspin. Could be.

Since you have the new software now, let me know if it seems to have any effect on this issue next time you have a chance to try. I'm sure you plan to update us all anyway though. Thanks swamp.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #218
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Might be a bit off topic, but after sampling the car over the past few days after break-in period completed I personally prefer the added control of the throttle without either sport or sportplus.

The normal throttle mapping is definitely best.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #219
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
I must get this update!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #220
SmokeyJoe
Breakin the Law
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2008 Jarez DCT

DCT

I went to the dealer today in Heidelberg Germany and schedule mine for this Monday

While at the dealer someone freakin hit my car

Hope its worth it
Appreciate 0