BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

09-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Exclamation AMF Automobil Museum Fichtelberg

I posted this over at the 1addicts... but there are more eyes/ppl over here. So I thought I would share it with you guys.

Dackel

AMF Automobil Museum Fichtelberg
Familie Eckert
Nagler Weg 9-10
95686 Fichtelberg
Telefon: 09272 / 971-0 (Zentrale)
09272 / 6006 (Museum)
Fax: 09272 / 6066

info@amf-museum.de

http://www.amf-museum.de/

cost: 8.50 euros - for all three halls/display areas.

Hi Guys & Gals,

Many years ago a good German friend of mine (who is also a car nut!) took me to this AMF Museum. It is kind of on the small side but everywhere you look there is something interesting to drool over. It was in the winter time and we were in a rush that day – we got there late in the day. I had always wanted to go back to see what I missed. I am glad I did, because I missed a lot! I’d say half the museum! I stayed at the museum this time for almost two hours!

When you walk inside the museum there are just a few cars to greet you. In the first display area downstairs is relatively small and cramped. Probably around twelve or so cars on display. Then you take a really small elevator upstairs. There are two more floors! I never knew this on my first visit. In Germany the first floor is always label E (for Erdgeschoss – ground floor), then floor 1 and floor 2 – so the floors are always one off from the way we label them. Also… on the second floor, there is what looks like a small closest with some engines on display there. But in fact it is another separate hall way that has a few MB AMG models and many motorcycles and one cool BMW(a Baur TC3 – more on this latter) on display there. Don’t miss this little hallway – like I did on my first visit! Then after you have seen all three floors in the main museum (Hall-I), across the street from the museum is ANOTHER small display hall. Hall-II. It looks to be next to the museum owner’s private home. Then as you walk back to the museum parking area… there is another area where they house military vehicles and airplanes.

When you buy your museum ticket(s) they will give you these tokens – to gain access to each Hall/display area. They have subway like turn styles to pass thru.

It is quite clear that the Museum owner Herr Eckert, has a passion for cars. Especially Maseratti’s and AMG MB’s and Trabby’s too! This is clear because of his collection of special autos on display here. What I liked best about this museum was not just the car or bikes on display… but all the little things he had on display as well. The wall art and toy models and racing awards. Everywhere you looked there was something cool to find!

The museum is located in Fichtelberg. Fichtelberg is a nice skiing area, that is around 1,200 meters above sea level. On the drive to the museum there are some nice twisty roads. And the Chzech border is not far from this area. Fichtelberg is only 40 kms away from Bayreuth. So anyone who is stationed in the Graf or Vilsek area (or even BA or SW) this is a nice museum to go visit for a day trip. Or for anyone doing a ED, Bayreuth is just two hours or so North of Muenchen or three hours South of Berlin.

Now at the end of that long hallway on the second floor I came upon this SL looking coupe. To my shock it was wearing a BMW logo. This car was clearly built in the eighties. But I have never seen or even heard of it before. It was called: Baur TC3, designed along side of the Z1 and also based on e30 drivetrain and parts. IF anyone knows more info please post it! Here is a link I found on the web:

http://www.baur-tc.de/baur-tc3.html

in English…

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...o_jlWO0nNVkfBw

Well… here are my pics. I won’t post them all here. Instead I provided a link to my photobucket account. I took over 400 photos! I also posted photos of the car’s details, like name and model year. So if you are curious as to what are the specs to some of these cars… just look at my photobucket album.

Enjoy,
Dackel

The Museum…

A nice E-type Jag… RHD too!

Upstairs on the 2nd floor…

Polizei roller…

Engine test stand...

State of the Art – back in the day!

No garage queen!

Klein wagens – small cars

AMG cars…

Bikes...

EMW bike from Eisenach...

And now for the car that took my breath away! A very rare find – I think.

Baur TC3…

Working my way back around to the elevator still on the 2nd floor!

Early and late production trabby’s.

Trabby engine test stand

Wankel powered bikes…

Upstairs on the 3rd floor…

Lotus mockup for Bond film…

A Ford!

Panzer cut away display engine… anyone know who built it? There were no markings that I could see!

Now onto Hall-II, you have to go outside towards the parkplatz and walk down the street!

Old strassen bahn…

What everyone needs atop their water tank!

Hall-II is down that way…

The museum owner’s haus I think!?

Museum up above…

Enterance…

Inside…

Made in Bayreuth!

Back outside – walking to the Military exhibit…

Engineers!

Well… that’s all guys. Hope you enjoyed my photos!

More photos here:

http://s764.photobucket.com/albums/x...berg%20Museum/
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

My god! How many pics did you attach here?

Anyways, thanks for sharing... appreciated your little intro as well as the pics!
      09-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
ibeclueless
What
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

cool photos

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

thanks for sharing.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
My god! How many pics did you attach here?
Only about 200 or so - give or take!

When I posted my BMW Wlet and Museum story I almost killed the server here! That was something like 440 photos!

Glad you guys like my writeup and photos.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
DoWhat101
Rep
Drives: 2011 black 740Li

woooowww
Appreciate 0