BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-20-2009, 02:02 AM   #199
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
footie, if you can afford the new RS6, good lord, get that!! Amazing sound, just going by the segment on Top Gear. What a beast. I don't think Audi is bringing it to the US, are they?

To speak to your original point -- I hear you. I felt the same way about my Z4 M Coupe. The car had to be spanked to really be fun. It's just the way the M is, IMO. And I just can't drive in hyperactive mode all the time, around town.
No to the RS6, much as I love the car and the way it performs I wouldn't put that amount of money into something in the current climate or would I want something that big and heavy. It's a great car for hammering down motorways at speed (probably one of the best in fact) but not for the back roads.

You had an M engined car before and decided to change away so you can understand where I am coming from entirely. Anyone who has owned a previous M3 will wonder what I am talking about because the new V8 version is so much better than before but compared to the C63 or anything with a turbo attached it doesn't feel all that quick unless you really poke it with a big stick.

Quote:
There's nothing lowly about wanting a car to FEEL fast. It's part of the fun. Just like "handling feel" counts for so many points, so does "speed feel" IMO. It's just another intangible that goes into the overall driving experience. The instant shove, the "feel of FAST" makes a car fun. Just as fun, perhaps even more so in daily driving, than the feel of great balance in a turn.
I don't understand why some people have such a harder time getting this point. On the public road where it isn't clever or wise to overly exceed the speed limit you would prefer the feel of speed more than having to obtain this actual speed to get your frills. When a passenger (a biker) says to you that he GTI Edition 30 'feels' quicker than the M3 but on looking at the speedo he realised that in fact we were travelling a good 20mph quicker at the same point it shows how misleading it power delivery is in relation to the actual acceleration it's doing.

It's a brilliant car, the best I have ever owned but 95% of the time when not on the throttle it's not more special than a 330i with a bit more go. I just look forward to the next M3 in the hope it's FI but it looks like the RS5 will also be out of the picture if it too retains the high revving V8 from the last RS4.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 03:17 AM   #200
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I might get flamed for this but I am finding the excessive rev range that the new M3 has to be really tiring and harder to use in day to day driving.

Maybe I am more use to it's power now but I feel unless you are wringing it's neck the performance is pretty average and in most situations it's hard to get to that final 1300revs which unlocks all that true potential. It might be the weather causing the roads to be excessively greasy but I am finding it hard to see the point in a 8300rpm red line.

I know it's sure to be great on the track but as these cars are used 99.5% of the time on the road I just find it a hindrance. Does anyone else feel the same way.
I felt the same way buddy with my E46M3... I love driving the WRX STI more.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #201
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I might get flamed for this but I am finding the excessive rev range that the new M3 has to be really tiring and harder to use in day to day driving.

Maybe I am more use to it's power now but I feel unless you are wringing it's neck the performance is pretty average and in most situations it's hard to get to that final 1300revs which unlocks all that true potential. It might be the weather causing the roads to be excessively greasy but I am finding it hard to see the point in a 8300rpm red line.

I know it's sure to be great on the track but as these cars are used 99.5% of the time on the road I just find it a hindrance. Does anyone else feel the same way.

Yea the car is SO hard to use in day to day driving

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #202
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
...Bruce, have you found anything not to like about the AMG 6.2l?
In C63 tune:
Power (SAE net): 451 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 443 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm

Redline on the C63 is 7200rpm. Not too much of a "hi-revving" sacrifice from the M3's redline. I find the C63 pulls right up to redline with no dropoff in power.
Yes, I've found something unlikeable in the C63 implementation.

It's down what, around 60 HP or so compared to the other implementations?

Remember what David E. Davis said:

"Any car on the planet would be a better car if it just had 50 more horsepower."

OK, it's a killer car as is, but would you just go ahead and do it? If 451 HP is terrific, just think how much better 500+ would be.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #203
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
I've never had the pleasure of hearing one in person, but I've heard that they are very loud, loud enough that you'd need earplugs at a race!
Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be cool having something that loud as your DD
I wouldn't mind to have a car that sound as f1 for DD, I'm serious.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #204
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

In a world where diesels and their 5k limit and turbos with their forced powerband are the norm, I'd kill for a car with an 8.3k redline. Drop to second or third, make the car put its torque through the gearing and be done with it. My E36 with its lifeless low-range never bothered me as it was just an excuse to hear the 2.0 six roar to the 6.75k redline.

I can understand why some would like the instant go, but I'm quite happy to be different. A JDM S2000 with the original 9k redline appeals for the same reason.
      01-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #205
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Originally Posted by KKelly
All //M cars (real ones) are built like this. For puttering about town I don't disagree that a high-revving engine is less convenient. However, that broad, smooth powerband really balances the car when attacking a backroad or on the track. No stump pulling torque to unsettle the chassis. The best quote I ever read from an //M division engineer was that the chassis must always be "quicker" than the engine. In my old E34 there are times I too would like more torque but I would never trade that high rpm power for it.

Excellent Quote...this is EXACTLY why I traded my GT500 vert for the M3 vert...GT500 has TONS of power/torque - scary as hell at higher speeds and in the curves...just not an inspiring suspension at all. It does have Brembo's in the front - but they just felt kind of numb and didn't really feel balanced with the rear brakes. I know that I could have modded the suspension for better handling - but then it would have had an overly harsh ride and the vert headshake would have been even more pronounced...This M3 (even in Sport Plus mode) has the least amount of headshake that I've ever experinced in a convertible...BMW DEFINITLEY got the chassis right with this car. Speaking of which - sun is out - time for a top down drive
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #206
Crops
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 ZCP DCT

You have to drive very very gingerly to keep from slipping the tires in 1st & 2cd gear in S6 mode. Having more torque at these points would seem to be counter productive.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #207
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
heard some people say similiar about the E46 they were mostly Turbo Heads and we ignored them.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #208
mikey19
n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 / White / 6MT

hmm, ill chime in here about how turbos (FI) engines have low end torque and such:

i use to drive a Evo 8 (mitsubishi lancer evolution 8 for those don't know). It has a 4G63 2.0L inline 4 with a big turbo (don't know how big, 19PSI boost from factory) to make it produce 271hp@6000ish?? / 273ft-lb.
So... engine has nothing below ~3500 to 4000 rpm, and then, the whiplash i get as the turbo kicks in.
it feel strong until near the redline, and then the boost tapers off a little

So not all FI cars have great low end torque. The 335 is such b/c it has two small turbos that minimize turbo lag.
I guess the best of both worlds would be porsche's sequential twin turbos? one small one to provide boost at low rpm and a big one to give it top end power. i forgot which porsche has this set up...

Now the M3's V8 is another world. its amazingly smooth and I love the feeling that I can still rev it higher after reaching 6500 rpm (top end of my Evo).

And I can still shift at 2200 rpm and get 20MPG! as well as keeping up with minivans and SUVs here in Atlanta from the stoplight :P
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #209
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Hey! Footie.

You drive an M-DCT M3 but your signature is about Club ///M 6MT ...Reminds me of this scene in "Full Metal Jacket".

Last edited by V1.47fan; 01-28-2009 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0