BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

running shoes advice

hey i've been running for about 6 months now and im able to run 6-7 miles in a session now. I usually run 4-5 days out of the week but have yet to invest in a good pair of running shoes. I've been running in my old shocks but they are starting to eff up my feet really badly so my question to all you runners what are a good pair of running shoes that wouldn't make a dent in my wallet. I run just for cardio nothing serious looking to spend 60-80 bucks tops I've seen some running shoes go above 120 and thats to extreme for my needs really.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Seabiscuit
Aequitas Veritas
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Recent studies have shown that running shoe technology actually has ZERO benefit on injury prevention/ performance gains. Your best bet is to pick up a "barefoot" running shoe. Your feet have been evolving for millions of years to get the this point, so why try to change them with 30 years of "shoe tech".

If you want to cut down on injury, try landing on the front of your foot while running, instead of your heel. Landing on your heel causes your body to stop almost completely on impact and greatly decreases your durability.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Asics or bust. Nimbus 11's. It depends on your foot type and striking pattern. Any good running store will hook you up.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
Recent studies have shown that running shoe technology actually has ZERO benefit on injury prevention/ performance gains. Your best bet is to pick up a "barefoot" running shoe. Your feet have been evolving for millions of years to get the this point, so why try to change them with 30 years of "shoe tech".

If you want to cut down on injury, try landing on the front of your foot while running, instead of your heel. Landing on your heel causes your body to stop almost completely on impact and greatly decreases your durability.
yeah i've seen these crazy running shoes if you can even call them that but there like rubber socks basically since running bare foot is suppose to be the best way to run
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
spoonf20c
let me see you become a ///Monster
Philippines
Rep
Drives: F80

+1 on asics. kayano 16's
      06-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
CantDrv55
NJ = guido white trash losers
India
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecenizal View Post
+1 on asics. kayano 16's
Another + for Asics. I have worn many types of running shoe and Asics have always felt the best. A close 2nd, Nike Shoxx, wear out too fast and don't seem to do all that much for the price.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

I currently run in a pair of Adidas Supernova Glide. They are very cushy, light weight, and the most breathable pair of shoes I've ever owned. I got the white/black/silver colour combo.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Asics are very good shoes. However, it depends on your particular foot, go to a (reputable) running store, have them look at and size both of your feet, analyze your gait, arch, running surface, etc. They will recommend what's best, have you try some stuff on, try it out (wear the types of socks you run in at the very least, but a pair of running shorts as well doesn't hurt). In the end buy what's most comfortable. I ended up with a pair of Brooks. Running shoes usually last about 500 miles, I track this in Excel (among other aspects of my runs) but this may be overkill on some peoples opinions.

Do not run 6 miles on your new shoes. Run at your normal pace but limit your next 3-4 runs to around 3 miles, after this your shoes should be broken in, but you will definitely be able to feel it when they are, and can start pumping up the mileage again.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantDrv55 View Post
Another + for Asics. I have worn many types of running shoe and Asics have always felt the best. A close 2nd, Nike Shoxx, wear out too fast and don't seem to do all that much for the price.
Nike Shoxx are wayyy too heavy and offer no real benefit to your running. A lighter, more minimal (no air pockets, shox, whatever) is much better for endurance running.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Everyone runs differently. Don't run out and go buy whatever shoes someone recommends. Go to a running specific store where the workers know what they're talking about.

I go to a store named Runner's Circle. The dude had me tried on several pairs of shoes and he looked at my feet as I ran. He recommended 2 pairs. He told me I can return them for an exchange or refund within a month if they don't cure my problem. (I had gone in because my right ankle was hurting a bit after around 2 miles).

I'm happy with the shoes. The pain went away. I was using New Balance Foundation 8. Now I'm using Saucony something. I forget the name of the model.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

yeah i guess i'll have to check out a running store or something i think theres one in the mall near me. thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Make sure it's not some punk kid who couldn't get hired at footlocker. Talk to your salesperson and make sure that they know what they're talking about, talk about running for a little while, if they don't answer questions in what sounds like a competent "running" answer then they are probably fully of shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Nike lunars are the shit. Go try some out.

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
CantDrv55
NJ = guido white trash losers
India
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Nike Shoxx are wayyy too heavy and offer no real benefit to your running. A lighter, more minimal (no air pockets, shox, whatever) is much better for endurance running.
That would be why I said they don't do all that much for the price. Though they did fine for me when I did my short 5.25 mi runs. No fatigue or pains while wearing them. I did have a pair of Adidas that didn't do shit except lighten my wallet.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

yeah the more and more i read on running shoes the more overwhelming it gets i need to talk to someone who knows a thing or two about about this crap
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

i have always liked nike frees
      06-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #17
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantDrv55 View Post
That would be why I said they don't do all that much for the price. Though they did fine for me when I did my short 5.25 mi runs. No fatigue or pains while wearing them. I did have a pair of Adidas that didn't do shit except lighten my wallet.
I had shoxx too and they were absolute hell, I would get shin splints all over and they were really conducive to me adapting an unfavorable gait, no pronation or anything but I would basically land 100% on my heel. I did long runs in them but now that I have better shoes suited for my style, that are additionally much lighter, I can't believe I ever ran more than a mile in my Shoxx. I guess everyone is different though, I wouldn't take the chance, as you can get a much better shoe for running for similar money
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #18
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

The NB Zips are awesome, but probably a little expensive.

You really need to go to a real running store with a tread mill and foot sensors. I went to an awesome running store in Atlanta and I ran 2 miles on their treadmill hooked up to sensors, high speed cameras, etc. What's awesome is that it recommended me the same shoes that I've worn for 5+ years!!! Nimbus 9's and now the new model Nimbus 11's.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
The NB Zips are awesome, but probably a little expensive.

You really need to go to a real running store with a tread mill and foot sensors. I went to an awesome running store in Atlanta and I ran 2 miles on their treadmill hooked up to sensors, high speed cameras, etc. What's awesome is that it recommended me the same shoes that I've worn for 5+ years!!! Nimbus 9's and now the new model Nimbus 11's.
That's key, run for at least a mile under their supervision, as your gait changes throughout your run. Usually you settle into your "normal" gait within your first mile
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post

Where the hell are you getting this information? Might want to re-check that.

OP: Do you overpronate or underpronate? (Look at the bottom of your shoes, if the wear patterns on the forefoot is more worn on the outside, then you underpronate, if the wear pattern is on the inside, than you overpronate. Most people overpronate or pronate.) Also, do you have an high arch? or flat feet? or just an normal arch. Depending on how you run and your arch type, I will be able to answer your question.

btw, nike shox are like the worst running shoe imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #21
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
i have always liked nike frees
nike free's are good, if you run under 3 miles.. They are meant for training and short distance runs.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 01:40 AM   #22
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
Where the hell are you getting this information? Might want to re-check that.

OP: Do you overpronate or underpronate? (Look at the bottom of your shoes, if the wear patterns on the forefoot is more worn on the outside, then you underpronate, if the wear pattern is on the inside, than you overpronate. Most people overpronate or pronate.) Also, do you have an high arch? or flat feet? or just an normal arch. Depending on how you run and your arch type, I will be able to answer your question.

btw, nike shox are like the worst running shoe imo.
It's all a gimmick. The more avid runners always prefer the likes of Asic, NB, Saucony, etc.

I tried the new Nike Free and while they look cool, they didn't impress me much. My friends love wearing them though to look 'cool'. Preferably wearing them with high cut socks with baggy Jordan shorts and a wife beater, lol.
Appreciate 0