BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Subaru AND Toyota to make a sports car

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-s...ports-car.html

this is such terrible news for subaru

DAMN YOU TOYOTA, GO AWAY!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

This could be a good thing- Subaru's performance + Toyota's legendary reliability and bulletproof engines (hopefully) = one hell of a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #3
heyitzkian
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It's a good move for both companies. Like BMWE90 said, if Toyota keeps the same reliability as they always have than this new car should be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: still deciding what to order

I hope Subaru did most of the designing on this. I can't think of a company that makes more completely boring cars to drive than Toyota. I know they made the Supra a long time ago, but has there been anything interesting since then? Maybe a MR2 or Celica idk. The FJ is an excellent SUV and they do make nice stuff, but nothing sporty.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Str8EJ
Master of Ceremonies
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Jet Blk/Blk/6Spd

'completely boring cars' (?)
hello....lexus, anyone?
i wouldn't characterize the manufacturer of the IS, GS, Supra, Celica all-trac, MR or Soarer as such.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
I hope Subaru did most of the designing on this. I can't think of a company that makes more completely boring cars to drive than Toyota. I know they made the Supra a long time ago, but has there been anything interesting since then? Maybe a MR2 or Celica idk. The FJ is an excellent SUV and they do make nice stuff, but nothing sporty.

It's because the sports car market isnt their bread and butter niche. I guess they've realized that they need to bring that sportiness back thus they're coming out with some new beasts- IS-F and LF.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8EJ View Post
hello....lexus, anyone?
i wouldn't characterize the manufacturer of the IS, GS, Supra, Celica all-trac, MR or Soarer as such.
I think he meant completely boring cars TO DRIVE, which means that yes, Lexus falls into that category.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

The last gen Supra was a beast of a car (I wanted one badly) and had a bullet-proof engine that could handle ALOT of power.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8EJ View Post
hello....lexus, anyone?
Sunny pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's funny you mention Lexus. Those are the very cars I was thinking of when I wrote my post. For a 300 HP car nothing is more boring to drive than a Lexus. They are big, automatic boring luxury cars. Like I said, the Celica and MR2 aren't bad, but they still aren't real sports cars either. I find it a little ironic that a manufacturer of such boring cars manufactures the drive train of the most exciting car to drive that you can buy new in America.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: platinum bronze e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post

I agree- their cars are quite boring- but I love my FJ.
Attached Images

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJc335 View Post
I agree- their cars are quite boring- but I love my FJ.
Yeah, the FJ is great. It's one of the few true SUVs out there. If I were going to buy something capable of off roading and towing it would be at the very top of my list. If I can pick up a used one in stick for around 20k or so I just might do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

I dont see how some people that toyota makes boring cars. the 6th gen gt4 celica can run circles around the current evo. The supra is legendary in every way. The turbo mr2 was a great car. Camry/corolla superior build quality and will last you a long time. The new tundra is going to blow away the american trucks. And yes that yellow fj kicks ass

above all they are reliable and dont break down every other day, much like some bmws.
      08-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

My wifes '88 Supra Turbo was an amazing car that had over 240,000 miles on it, with everything still original. I was really pissed when her brother totalled it....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 05:17 AM   #14
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
I dont see how some people that toyota makes boring cars. the 6th gen gt4 celica can run circles around the current evo. The supra is legendary in every way. The turbo mr2 was a great car. Camry/corolla superior build quality and will last you a long time. The new tundra is going to blow away the american trucks. And yes that yellow fj kicks ass

above all they are reliable and dont break down every other day, much like some bmws.

When you realize that you haven't named one interesting sporty car that Toyota currently manufactures then maybe you will stop having trouble with understanding why I called them boring. They are very well made cars. But a well made Camry is FAR from an exciting sports car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:

celica got discontinued

they haven't made the supra in years

mr2 got discontinued

camry and corolla are not exciting. we're not talking about reliability, A to B cars here. we're talking about exciting sports cars. the camry and corolla are both boring cars to drive, even the camry with its very good 263 hp.

a pickup truck is a pickup truck

a yellow FJ isn't a sports car

the closest thing Toyota comes to a sports car these days is the IS350 and future ISF. the IS350 is fast in a straight line but it is also known to be the most boring to drive in the luxury sport segment.

i'm not saying that Toyota can't make a good sports car, because they've obviously done it many times, but it seems like they aren't even trying to target any serious performance enthusiasts these days. rightfully so, because that's not where the money lies. Toyota is set on world domination of the automobile industry so its not a huge priority for them to build an interesting sports car.

not to mention they basically completely ruined the new WRX, what it was, and what it meant to performance enthusiasts. look at the WRX forums, people there are pissed off as hell. hopefully the STi wont fall to the mass marketing techniques of Toyota as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #16
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

But then again boring is subjective, what you may find boring some people may find exciting
      08-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: By the seat of her pants.

Quote:
But then again boring is subjective, what you may find boring some people may find exciting
+1

That would go for looks as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #18
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
maybe subaru helps toyota turbo their 3.5 engine from the IS, then give them the AWD and chassis. That'd be a killer
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #19
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
i disagree. i think anyone can say that a porsche cayman S is a more exciting drive than a lincoln town car. if you find a lincoln town car more exciting than a porsche cayman, then i'd like to hear your definition of "exciting".

now driving a jeep cherokee off-road may be more exciting than driving a 335i on the street, but thats completely different story.

while comparing sports cars, i don't really think judging an exciting drive is subjective. Porsches are generally more fun to drive than BMW's. and BMW's are generally more fun to drive than Lexus'.

in what area could an IS350 possibly be more exciting to drive than a 335i? acceleration? steering? handling? braking? shifting? it's not even a matter of performance figures. Lexus' in general are known to have soft rides, numb steering and the worst handling out of the G and the Bimmer. if someone were to tell me that the Lexus IS350 is more exciting to drive than a 335i i'd ask them if a great interior counts toward the car having an exciting ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #20
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

thats exactly my point, an 70 yr old man would find a lincoln more appealing or exciting than a cayman wheres as 30 yr old would think differently.

I may find an is350 more exciting than a 335i. you dont...does that mean any one of us is wrong? maybe some people like the smooth ride that lexus offers vs. the stiff(road) feeling that bmw has. some people may find the looks of the new solara more exciting than the 335, albeit they might need eyes checked but that doesnt make them wrong.

again what you find exciting is going to be different in the next person
      08-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #21
Str8EJ
Master of Ceremonies
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Jet Blk/Blk/6Spd

agree.
it's all relative.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #22
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Depending on the styling and the layout, it could be a huge success. If I can fit my 6'3' 200lbs frame inside it, I might seriously consider one. It could be an awesome track car.

You know a Toyota motor is going to be solid, Scooby's AWD systems are arguably the best out there. Sounds like a winner to me.

As far as Toyota being boring, yes, most of their current production cars are boring. But, Toyota is heavily involved in racing efforts, they certainly COULD make an amazing sports car if they wanted to.

Oh shit, just read it again, they say it's for the Japanese market, hopefully it will make it's way over here..