BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

04-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Answer to why hifi system sounds bad!

So I spent a few hours yesterday replacing all the hifi speakers (2ohm) with the logic 7 speakers (4ohm). What I found was the hifi tweeters are 4ohm. I kept the Hifi tweeters in and just replaced the woofers. Now the output of the tweeters is matching the woofers.

I put in the aluminum dome logic 7 tweeters for a short while but i found them a bit harsh and tinny. Put the textile domes back in.

Prior to the woofer replacement, the system sounded really dull and highs were lacking output.

But now it really sings.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
So I spent a few hours yesterday replacing all the hifi speakers (2ohm) with the logic 7 speakers (4ohm). What I found was the hifi tweeters are 4ohm. I kept the Hifi tweeters in and just replaced the woofers. Now the output of the tweeters is matching the woofers.

I put in the aluminum dome logic 7 tweeters for a short while but i found them a bit harsh and tinny. Put the textile domes back in.

Prior to the woofer replacement, the system sounded really dull and highs were lacking output.

But now it really sings.
... and if you replace all the HiFi speakers -except the HiFi OEM woofers- with the Individual Audio component and coaxial OEM speakers while keeping the HiFi OEM amp then it will sound even better.

The HiFi OEM amp is quite decent for a standard OEM amp. The HiFi speakers are a disgrace, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
... and if you replace all the HiFi speakers -except the HiFi OEM woofers- with the Individual Audio component and coaxial OEM speakers while keeping the HiFi OEM amp then it will sound even better.

The HiFi OEM amp is quite decent for a standard OEM amp. The HiFi speakers are a disgrace, though.
I have the JL xd600/6 installed with the help of your awesome harness. Its so clean looking and easy.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Logic 7 mids are great
HIFI tweeters suck
Logic 7 tweeters suck too

Ideally you want logic 7 mids with aftermarket tweeters
      04-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Logic 7 mids are great
HIFI tweeters suck
Logic 7 tweeters suck too

Ideally you want logic 7 mids with aftermarket tweeters
I think aftermarket tweeters are the next upgrade. Which ones do you recommend. Also, i have the L7 mids crossed @ 170hz do you think that is good?

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
I think aftermarket tweeters are the next upgrade. Which ones do you recommend. Also, i have the L7 mids crossed @ 170hz do you think that is good?
I'm in a minority when it comes to crossover point
I believe Technic/vp etc all say around 150-175
I didn't like that at all (back when I had the logic 7 speakers)
Problem with 150-170 is the mids sound good, but the I can tell the mid bass is coming from underneath me since the subs have to produce sound up to the same crossover point
I had mine set to 90hz between mids and sws-8
But I'd you're giving the speakers, they can't handle such a low crossover point
I was only giving them about 50 watts each

This is where the MS-8 is great
Being able to try different crossover points without getting out of the drivers seat is cool

As for tweeters recommendations, not sure
I was using very old school tweeters that were made in the 80s or 90s
Can't get them anymore
      04-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
I'm in a minority when it comes to crossover point
I believe Technic/vp etc all say around 150-175
I didn't like that at all (back when I had the logic 7 speakers)
Problem with 150-170 is the mids sound good, but the I can tell the mid bass is coming from underneath me since the subs have to produce sound up to the same crossover point
I had mine set to 90hz between mids and sws-8
But I'd you're giving the speakers, they can't handle such a low crossover point
I was only giving them about 50 watts each

This is where the MS-8 is great
Being able to try different crossover points without getting out of the drivers seat is cool

As for tweeters recommendations, not sure
I was using very old school tweeters that were made in the 80s or 90s
Can't get them anymore

i was just playing with the xover point on the L7s and they sure do sound good. The Hifi would distort under 200hz. The L7s play down to 100hz well. They actually put out some decent midbass, but i am afraid of there power handling with 70w rms. So i put them at 160hz for now.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hey Technic, quick question. Can I remove the front tweeter pods in the sails without removing the door panels?

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hey Technic, quick question. Can I remove the front tweeter pods in the sails without removing the door panels?
The way the pods are attached does not allow removal with the door panels in place. If you force them something may break.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The way the pods are attached does not allow removal with the door panels in place. If you force them something may break.
Okay thanks. I was looking for an easy way out.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #11
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

LOL---I must be deaf. I think my Individual Audio sounds pretty good! CD's sound muddy ( i def hear that), but when the ipod is connected via USB, it sounds pretty damn good.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Biggy...did you meter the voice coils? Bmw docs indicate L7 as 2ohm as well as hifi
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Biggy...did you meter the voice coils? Bmw docs indicate L7 as 2ohm as well as hifi
I didn't. I believe you are correct 2ohms. I was mistaken by the slightly less sensitive L7 mid.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
sunmans
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 320i M-sport

I just want to check. L7 mid is 2ohms? If I use a 4 ohm amp with it, does that mean a cooked amp?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #15
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

When you say HIFI is that the same as the Enhanced Premium sound that cost $2000? I heard that EPS was the same as the individual sound system and rocks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #16
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:

Technic, sounds like if you have the EPS system / Logic 7, if you just change the Tweeters up front to something else it would greatly improve the sound. If so, which Tweeters do you recommend that would be plug and play? I could be inclined to do this if I don't have to get too technical and can just plop in new ones DIY.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunmans View Post
I just want to check. L7 mid is 2ohms? If I use a 4 ohm amp with it, does that mean a cooked amp?
No. Just make sure the amp is 2ohm capable. Most are.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
When you say HIFI is that the same as the Enhanced Premium sound that cost $2000? I heard that EPS was the same as the individual sound system and rocks
Hifi is no the same as eps. Hifi is the base m3 system.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
sunmans
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 320i M-sport

Got it. Looks like I need to go shopping.

Quote:
No. Just make sure the amp is 2ohm capable. Most are.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Technic, sounds like if you have the EPS system / Logic 7, if you just change the Tweeters up front to something else it would greatly improve the sound. If so, which Tweeters do you recommend that would be plug and play? I could be inclined to do this if I don't have to get too technical and can just plop in new ones DIY.

Thoughts?
I used to have EPS in my old 2008 M3. Now it is HiFi in my 2012 M3.

I posted two threads on my HiFi upgrades...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #21
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
I used to have EPS in my old 2008 M3. Now it is HiFi in my 2012 M3.

I posted two threads on my HiFi upgrades...
omg, I got the crappier system for more money! Thanks BMW!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

Quote:

But now it really sings.
So all you basically did was replace the hifi speakers and woofers to L7s? And it sounded alot better? I did know they were a direct fit?
Appreciate 0