BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Fabspeed HFC and X Pipe review

Last Friday Ben335 and I went up to Fabspeed to have the HFC and X Pipe installed on our cars. Currently I have the AA tune, AA pulley, Macht Schnell filter, RPi Scoops, and Eisenmann Race exhaust as my performance engine modifications.

Fit and Finish:
The Fabspeed HFC and X Pipe look absolutely amazing. It comes in a nice polished look and to see the product next to the OEM makes you wonder what BMW was thinking creating such a suffocating exhaust system. The install is pretty straight forward. The only modification that needs to be done to the car is the take a rubber hammer to the driver side heat shield. The driver side HFC does sit a little lower than the passenger side because of the way the tubing comes out from the header.

Sound:
After hearing all of the reviews of how the HFC and X Pipe combined with the Eisenmann Race was very loud I was scared that it would be off the wall loud. Once the car came off of the lift it was started and the sound was actually quieter than with the Eisenmann Race by itself. I was shocked that at idle it did not seem to be as loud as I was expecting. Jeremy at Fabspeed pulled it out of the garage and drove it down the street. That's when the real sound actually came out. The car was a lot louder now at WOT and the the deep Eisenmann Race American muscle car growl was now replaced with a slightly higher pitched exotic car sound. Again, I was scared that it was going to be too loud because you could hear Jeremy go around the block. Now it was my turn to get into the car and drive it. The sound is not that loud once your in the car. The downshifts now make the car bark and I absolutely love how it sounds. If you are driving with the windows down it is definitely louder than with the windows up. I also noticed that some of the droning from the Eisenmann Race was gone due to the higher pitch in the sound. At 70 MPH the car is eerily quieter than before where there would be a slight drone.

Performance:
This by far is the biggest performance gain out of any modification I have done. I feel like the car gained a lot of HP through out the RPM range. The car now breathes so much better now. I am so impressed with the HP gain that the car now feels scary at WOT. This has totally changed the way the car is now off of the line and on the highway.

Overall:
My car is not really my daily driver so I am really happy with the sound of the car. If it was my daily driver then I might want to go to the Eisenmann Sport exhaust which Ben335 has. I will let him post his review when he has time. If any of you guys are within driving distance to Fabspeed you need to go to their shop and get it installed there. They are some of the best guys I have dealt with. You almost feel like you are a part of their family when you go into their shop. They are first class and I will definitely do business with them again.

I will link the vdo Fabspeed made at the bottom of this post. Somewhere in the middle is a dyno run and a drive through their street.

I have fallen in love with my car all over again. Now off to the road for some more driving.

http://www.fabspeed.com/videos/BMW%2...Dyno%20Run.wmv
      09-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Extremely good review!

I'm sure there are many guys out there considering this particular x-pipe, and they're probably more convinced after reading your review.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Jeremy@Fabspeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Don.....Welcome to the Fabspeed Family!!! Your a member for life now!

Thanks for the great review
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
SoCalM3Mang
"Makin It Happen-West Coast Style"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Jerez Black 6SPD

Awesome-Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNDoN View Post
Last Friday Ben335 and I went up to Fabspeed to have the HFC and X Pipe installed on our cars. Currently I have the AA tune, AA pulley, Macht Schnell filter, RPi Scoops, and Eisenmann Race exhaust as my performance engine modifications.

Performance:
This by far is the biggest performance gain out of any modification I have done. I feel like the car gained a lot of HP through out the RPM range. The car now breathes so much better now. I am so impressed with the HP gain that the car now feels scary at WOT. This has totally changed the way the car is now off of the line and on the highway.

Overall:
My car is not really my daily driver so I am really happy with the sound of the car. If it was my daily driver then I might want to go to the Eisenmann Sport exhaust which Ben335 has. I will let him post his review when he has time. If any of you guys are within driving distance to Fabspeed you need to go to their shop and get it installed there. They are some of the best guys I have dealt with. You almost feel like you are a part of their family when you go into their shop. They are first class and I will definitely do business with them again.
Thanks for the wonderful review. I have similar modifications but an RPI Axle Back Exhaust.

I am interested in the smell of fumes? Since replacing with the HFC's is there anything noticeable beyond what was original from stock or your Eisenmann race exhaust?

With a convertible, I can't have any Fume Smells at all.

What is your estimated HP/TRQ gain from this modification over your other Mods?

Jeremy--Do you guys have an estimated number(HP/TRQ) for people with Tunes and Axle Back Exhausts?

Thanks.
08 BMW E93 6MT Jerez Black|HAMANN-ed|Lots of Carbon Fiber|Eibach E-93 Sprgs|Advan RS-D's 19x9+22/19x10+20|AA-SSK-Pulley|RPI Scoops-Red|RPI Axle Back Exhaust- Blacked Out Tips|Hamann Rep CF Lip-Diffuser-Trunk Spoiler||Hamaan Badging
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Very well done. Thanks so much for the review.
      09-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

You can smell the exhaust with HFC's installed. Not bad like catless, but you can tell it's not OEM
      09-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
You can smell the exhaust with HFC's installed. Not bad like catless, but you can tell it's not OEM
yup, just a little bit richer, i like it
      09-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
yup, just a little bit richer, i like it
the smell of performance??
      09-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
BMWDEMON
Super modder
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & E46 M3

I got to see Don's car this weekend and I have to agree...the sound is very nice and at the higher RPM's has a nice tone. It did a kind of "angry bark" at the top though which I have never heard but still it was nice. I got to listen to it better as Don left the venue and it matches the aggressive nature of his modded car which I think most people will find intoxicating. I also have to say that the guys up at FABSpeed are great as I have spoken to them in the past and they have taken care of a few of my teammates.

Nice write up Don...let's catch up soon.

M
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Jay, it wouldn't work for ya buddy . The fumes are pretty strong on cold starts and after running the car hard. You should try Fabspeeds secondary cat delete. That set-up doesn't have any fumes at all, and still picks up a decent amount of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM3Mang View Post
Thanks for the wonderful review. I have similar modifications but an RPI Axle Back Exhaust.

I am interested in the smell of fumes? Since replacing with the HFC's is there anything noticeable beyond what was original from stock or your Eisenmann race exhaust?

Jeremy--Do you guys have an estimated number(HP/TRQ) for people with Tunes and Axle Back Exhausts?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Jeremy@Fabspeed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM3Mang View Post

Thanks.
I would pm Cali Convertible, and ask him his thought on the fumes. He just installed our HFC/x-pipe with resonator combo on his car and loves it.

You should see about a 17whp and 15wtq gain with the HFC/x-pipe on top of your tune and axle back.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
sge92
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Now the milion dollar question. What effect does the HFC/ Xpipe combo have on emissions testing? Specifically, for tailpipe (not OBD) testing like we have in Ontario, will the car pass?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
Eurotrash8
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Jeremy - What are the numbers/performance difference between the Fabspeed Xpipe with res vs Xpipe with res & HFC?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy@Fabspeed View Post
I would pm Cali Convertible, and ask him his thought on the fumes. He just installed our HFC/x-pipe with resonator combo on his car and loves it.

You should see about a 17whp and 15wtq gain with the HFC/x-pipe on top of your tune and axle back.

Hope this helps
      09-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sge92 View Post
Now the milion dollar question. What effect does the HFC/ Xpipe combo have on emissions testing? Specifically, for tailpipe (not OBD) testing like we have in Ontario, will the car pass?

On stock software you should not have a problem passing the Ontario E-Test. They have a generic baseline for all cars that is relatively lax. If for example a 1990's pickup can pass, your car on stock software should be fine. In fact, "most"software does not screw with idle tables so even most aftermarket tunes will be ok for Ontario's E-Test because they just sniff the exhaust at idle. The fact that the Fabspeed/HJS Cats do not trip the CEL leads me to believe that the cats are doing enough Catalyzing to pass most E-Tests, espically an idle only test.

One thing to remember is make sure the car is driven before the test to ensure the cats are good and hot so that they are operating as efficiently as possible.

Last edited by BMRLVR; 09-29-2009 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
SoCalM3Mang
"Makin It Happen-West Coast Style"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Jerez Black 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash8 View Post
Jeremy - What are the numbers/performance difference between the Fabspeed Xpipe with res vs Xpipe with res & HFC?

Thanks
Good question. I'm interested in this answer as well!

Thanks for your answer Elden. We need to meet up soon enough brother!
Gotta check out your sick whip!
08 BMW E93 6MT Jerez Black|HAMANN-ed|Lots of Carbon Fiber|Eibach E-93 Sprgs|Advan RS-D's 19x9+22/19x10+20|AA-SSK-Pulley|RPI Scoops-Red|RPI Axle Back Exhaust- Blacked Out Tips|Hamann Rep CF Lip-Diffuser-Trunk Spoiler||Hamaan Badging
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #16
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Great review. I really want to get the setup but my M3 is a DD and Im afraid that it will be too loud.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #17
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

Thanks for the great review!

I understand the sound is a bit more exotic and surprisingly quieter when cruising at 70 mph but overall, how much more loud has your exhaust become? Did you get the same quieter affect when cruising at a higher speed?
      09-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #18
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackolo View Post
Thanks for the great review!

I understand the sound is a bit more exotic and surprisingly quieter when cruising at 70 mph but overall, how much more loud has your exhaust become? Did you get the same quieter affect when cruising at a higher speed?
The exhaust is a lot louder at WOT but at cruising speed it is surprisingly quiet. For example if you are cruising on a flat road the sound is not bad but once you start going up a hill and you are trying to maintain that speed then it is pretty loud. If you pair the Fabspeed HFC and X Pipe to a quiet exhaust I guarantee you will be fine.
      09-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #19
Jeremy@Fabspeed
Private
United_States
Rep

Here is a link to a Dyno of Stock vs. resonated x-pipe

http://www.fabspeed.com/dyno26.html

Here is a Dyno of Stock vs. HFC/resonated x-pipe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #20
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

very nice
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

DonDon: Great mod! Glad you liked it!
Also, good to know that Jeremy took care of you! (A little jealous... but you took it to the right people)

WSTO is proud to carry Fabspeed!
      09-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #22
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius@WSTO View Post
DonDon: Great mod! Glad you liked it!
Also, good to know that Jeremy took care of you! (A little jealous... but you took it to the right people)

WSTO is proud to carry Fabspeed!
Julius,

You helped me a lot of the process of getting this thing. It is rare that I can find a manufacturer within driving distance of where I live so I had to jump at the chance to see the product being made too. WheelSto and Fabspeed are a great match because they both are top notch. I have not been more happier with my car.