BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Redline MTL in fresh 6MT

Hi all, as many have read in my other posts, the dealer replaced my transmission at ~62k miles (I can check on the exact mileage later) as it was diagnosed with bad syncros.

Having read and experienced how "annoying" it is to shift from 1->2 and 2->3, I thought a fresh MT was going to fix the problem...WRONG! While shifting was improved, the 1st gear hard engagement was still there, having to basically find my way into 1st gear gate and then babying the shift to second, and notchiness in third. I was annoyed at this point and thought I needed to break in the tranny. OK, so I did and while things loosened up a bit, it was still a PITA to shift. I was seriously starting to question my choice in MT vs DCT

After reading that other members have also had their tranny replaced at around the same mileage as mine, it got me thinking that perhaps the OEM oil and BMW's "extended" maintenance was just not up tp par to what this tranny needs. This was also "confirmed" in my mind by an article i read, written by Mike Miller on Redline oils, where he states back in the day, BMW trannys had a life span of 60k (which coincidentally is when mine was replaced) while using OEM oils. After switching to Redline MTL, these problems started to go away and as Mike Miller now calls Redline MTL "mother's milk for manual gearboxes", i made the switch and replaced the OEM oil (with 800 miles) to Redline MTL. I was able to flush all the oil and put exactly 2.5 qts back in the transmission.

IMPRESSIONS:

This morning was the first time I was able to test out the new oil and let me tell you...Mike was right

Fisrt gear engagement is now crisp and direct. I dont have to find my way into the gate and it just goes in (TWSS).

1st to 2nd is GREATLY improved, no more hesitation! Third gear notchiness is gone and while before I had a hard time going into third (slight hesitation from the transmission to accept third), now it feels like the tranny is pulling third in, instead of me forcing in the gear, hard to explain but if you ever experienced this, you know what i'm talking about.

Cold shifting is also vastly improved and as soon as the oil is warmed up, shifting becomes a pleasure rather than a chore.

Now some of you might object to this, as most are still within the warranty period. While I am one of those people (1 year left on CPO), I did not want to ruin yet another transmission, and retain OEM oil just to make it to CPO end.

In closing, the diff is next on the list and while I have the oil, I hurt my back changing the tranny oil (twisted on the wrong side ). As soon as my back feels better, I will switch the diff oil to Redline. And guess what! Redline engine oil as soon as CPO is over. (insert jokes here).

I hope this quick review serves as a catalyst for some other people hesitating in making this switch. DO IT, you will not regret it.

Thank you for reading.
      08-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Great to know. I guess I'm one of the few that has had no problem with the trans being notchy or anything like that. However, I did just change my OEM fluid just a couple of thousand miles ago and it felt just as good afterwards.

But I've used Redline in my other BMW's before and was happy with their product. Glad you were able to fix your problem though!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

For the E90/92 M3, Redline actually recommend D4 ATF, not MTL. MTL is thicker than what is needed so before it warms up, it is stiffer. D4 ATF is thinner and is the recommended fluid for 6MT.
      08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
For the E90/92 M3, Redline actually recommend D4 ATF, not MTL. MTL is thicker than what is needed so before it warms up, it is stiffer. D4 ATF is thinner and is the recommended fluid for 6MT.
True, however MTL and D4 ATF do not seem to be that different.

08-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

You are rolling the dice on anything but oem fluid for the diff. I ran the castrol syntrax and mobil 1 with ls additive and both made the diff chatter pretty bad within 500 miles. Went back to the oem fluid and it quit making noise in 50 miles.
      08-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
True, however MTL and D4 ATF do not seem to be that different.
It isn't but MTL is thicker so before warming up, it is harder to shift. Redline recommends D4 ATF so I stick to that.

Read this article:
http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13

It says Mike Miller recommends MTL for older BMWs but newer cars should use D4 ATF.

Quote:
While respected BMW tech expert Mike Miller (and Bavarian, as well) confidently recommends MTL for every BMW manual gearbox without complaints, Red Line follows a baseline closer to the factory recommendations.
      08-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
You are rolling the dice on anything but oem fluid for the diff. I ran the castrol syntrax and mobil 1 with ls additive and both made the diff chatter pretty bad within 500 miles. Went back to the oem fluid and it quit making noise in 50 miles.
Interesting, I will stick to OEM then, as I have no complaints so far from the diff. The dealer replaced the fluid a year ago with the friction modifier additive, as my diff was chattering like mad when turning. Worse comes to worse, a rebuild is not expensive but I will take your advice and stick to OEM.

Quote:
It isn't but MTL is thicker so before warming up, it is harder to shift. Redline recommends D4 ATF so I stick to that.

Read this article:

It says Mike Miller recommends MTL for older BMWs but newer cars should use D4 ATF.
Thanks! Lets see how MTL behaves for the next 15k miles, at which point I will re-evaluate and perhaps switch to D4.
      08-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Exactly. Always check with the manufacturer on their products before just installing whatever. I have the D4 ATF in mine and love it. Shifts very smooth at all temps and has since I installed the fluid.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Interesting, I will stick to OEM then, as I have no complaints so far from the diff. The dealer replaced the fluid a year ago with the friction modifier additive, as my diff was chattering like mad when turning. Worse comes to worse, a rebuild is not expensive but I will take your advice and stick to OEM.

Thanks! Lets see how MTL behaves for the next 15k miles, at which point I will re-evaluate and perhaps switch to D4.
It sucks paying 130 bucks for 3 bottles of diff fluid but on the bright side it does not have to be changed very often. I went out on a limb and tried some other fluid and it just didnt work for me anyway, I know of some people on here that dont run it and have no issues. Like I said it is a crap shoot.
      08-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It sucks paying 130 bucks for 3 bottles of diff fluid but on the bright side it does not have to be changed very often. I went out on a limb and tried some other fluid and it just didnt work for me anyway, I know of some people on here that dont run it and have no issues. Like I said it is a crap shoot.
Differential fluid, I always stick with OEM as the design and the locking mechanism for the LSD is different for every manufacturer and car.

Manual transmission fluid however - there are only a few types that are used so it is fairly safe to find the aftermarket equivalent. Also, most OEM manual transmission fluid is not synthetic so if you want a better fluid, Redline has been my choice.
      08-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

I used Redline MTL in the manual transmission of my '02 325i sedan. Did the swap at ~50K miles and then again at ~100K.

My brother still has the car and this last year, at ~160K miles, 3rd gear dropped out. Second was there, fourth was there--third was just nonexistent. No grinding just no gear He ended up having to have a donor tranny put in at a cost of about $2300.

Might be anecdotal. Might be just one of those things. However, ask me if I'm gonna be emptying out the OEM fluid on my E90 M3 for possible minor improvements under certain conditions…I don't think so. Definitely not worth the risk. Not for me!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #12
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 335i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Read this article:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Read this article:

Any update on this almost a decade later
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfloridiankicks View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Read this article:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Read this article:

Any update on this almost a decade later
It has been indeed a while! Car runs perfect, actually I need to switch all fluids over Xmas time, but diff is holding like it should. No complaints
      11-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #14
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

I use redline 75w140 in my diff. Ran it for 30K, and then changed it again, and the second batch has been in there for about 3K. No problems at all.

Don't use MTL in the differential, completely wrong fluid to use. MTL is designed for a manual transaxel, hence the MTL name.

The OEM fluid is 75w140, so you should try to get closer to that in weight. MTL is much closer to a 75w90 in weight.

Last edited by drwankel; 11-13-2021 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I use redline 75w140 in my diff. Ran it for 30K, and then changed it again, and the second batch has been in there for about 3K. No problems at all.

Don't use MTL in the differential, completely wrong fluid to use. MTL is designed for a manual transaxel, hence the MTL name.

The OEM fluid is 75w140, so you should try to get closer to that in weight. MTL is much closer to a 75w90 in weight.
Exactly. Red Line 75w140 here for my diff and it works great. Both for the GKN carrier that comes with the M3 and my new ZF carrier.

Just make sure you get Red Line 75w140, not the 75w140NS. Bottles looks sooooo similar.

As for the 6MT, I use Red Line D4-ATF and it has been great. Tried MTL and it worked too but was a little thick on cold mornings so I went back to D4-ATF after a shop topped my transmission up with OE fluid without asking me…

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 07:03 PM   #16
m3fan143
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ((IBlue)

I have used D4 ATF from Redline on my 2008 and it shifts flawlessly. For diff, I use LiquimOly 75 140 and its great as well, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #17
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
You wanna know something funny, the original spec was 75w80 for E92 M3 6MT, but BMW recently changed MT fluid spec to 75W90. They probably thought it was the better choice for protection given the age of these vehicles.