BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

10-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Getting a divorce in CA

No it's not for me, I'm not ready for a wife, let alone getting divorced lol. I'm too young anyways.

What's the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get divorced in CA, specifically in LA County?

I did some research, and it seem it costs about $299-$349 on LegalZoom and $249 at CompleteCase

But is there anyway they can both just walk into either the local Superior Court or go to City Hall and sign the divorce papers and get it over with?

They don't have any children under the age of 18, they have no disagreements on property/assets etc. The husband will keep all the properties and debt/assets linked to his SSN, the wife will keep the assets /debts she has on her SSN.
Very simple divorce. Getting divorced due to irreconcilable differences

if the $300 legalzoom way is the only way to go, then so be it, but they were hoping for a quicker and easier way
I mean, you can go into City Hall and get married.... so does it go the other way around?

I know there has to be some family law people on here

Thanks

Payment up front:

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

They can call a lawyer, that's the easiest way.
      10-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
The $300 on legalzoom is for a package of all the papers you need for an uncontested divorce. They just don't magically show up, ready for signature.

This is definitely the way to go, as long as both parties can agree on kids, pets, assets and liabilities.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
The lawyer is going to fill out the same papers you get from legalzoom. No need to pay a lawyer if you have an uncontested divorce.

One of the guys who worked for me used to work as a clerk for a divorce lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That ignores the cheapest part though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
The $300 on legalzoom is for a package of all the papers you need for an uncontested divorce. They just don't magically show up, ready for signature.

This is definitely the way to go, as long as both parties can agree on kids, pets, assets and liabilities.

Yeah it's a completely uncontested divorce.

Seems LegalZoom is the only way to go then

Would you recommend LZ or CompleteCase?
LZ will fix your paperwork in case it doesn't go through, and CC will give you a full refund. the $50 difference in price doesn't matter
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Vince might charge less than $300, he owns a trash company in NY and I hear they have a way to of "taking care of things"
      10-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
That ignores the cheapest part though lol

Yeah it's a completely uncontested divorce.

Seems LegalZoom is the only way to go then

Would you recommend LZ or CompleteCase?
LZ will fix your paperwork in case it doesn't go through, and CC will give you a full refund. the $50 difference in price doesn't matter

I don't have personal experience with either one, but I'd probably choose LZ.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Vince might charge less than $300, he owns a trash company in NY and I hear they have a way to of "taking care of things"

Vince going to come all the way out to SoCal ??
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Vince going to come all the way out to SoCal ??
I'm sure he has some affiliations out in Cali.
      10-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have personal experience with either one, but I'd probably choose LZ.
Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
No it's not for me, I'm not ready for a wife, let alone getting divorced lol. I'm too young anyways.

What's the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get divorced in CA, specifically in LA County?

I did some research, and it seem it costs about $299-$349 on LegalZoom and $249 at CompleteCase

But is there anyway they can both just walk into either the local Superior Court or go to City Hall and sign the divorce papers and get it over with?

They don't have any children under the age of 18, they have no disagreements on property/assets etc. The husband will keep all the properties and debt/assets linked to his SSN, the wife will keep the assets /debts she has on her SSN.

if the $300 legalzoom way is the only way to go, then so be it, but they were hoping for a quicker and easier way
I mean, you can go into City Hall and get married.... so does it go the other way around?

Thanks

Payment up front:

Old Yeller Style.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

OP do you really think Lawyers on here will give free advice, and instruct you to NOT go to a lawyer and use a site like LZ?
      10-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP do you really think Lawyers on here will give free advice, and instruct you to NOT go to a lawyer and use a site like LZ?
I've seen plenty of lawyers give (non-legal) advice on here.

They're just very smart about pointing out that it's not legal advice :P
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
I cant give any advice but I would totally smash that blonde
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Pretty sure it's OP's parents, since he threw in "They don't have any children under the age of 18".
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Pretty sure it's OP's parents, since he threw in "They don't have any children under the age of 18".
kinda had the exact same thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

tell your dad to call a lawyer rather than have his son ask on a web forum
      10-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I cant give any advice but I would totally smash that blonde
Blonde half azn looks good to me...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
No

My parents would need to go to Iran to get officially divorced first if anything.

Cause if they really wanted to get divorced, it'd be meaningless to do it just in this country.

Since if my mom is divorced, then the govt will pay her $ every month since she can claim she's unmarried/no support from a male etc. Pretty much if a woman doesn't have a man in her life they think she can't take care of herself lol. Or a least that's my understanding of it

The reason I mentioned the no kids under 18 was because every site I went to mentioned that is severely difficult to do a quick and easy divorce if there are minors involved. Like online divorce ones aren'trrally meant for those with kids (or at least this is how I understood it)

The people getting divorced arent anywhere close to my parents age lol. My parents are pretty old.

Anyways I'm used to OT just assuming whatever it wants and accepting it as fact without any proof etc : D

Since its obvious that you can walk in and get married but not walk in and get divorced, it's best to just tell them to go to LegalZoom

And why do you guys say get a lawyer? I'd assume getting a lawyer would cost pretty much double LegalZoom right?

Since its uncontested with no minors/property disputes etc, it's simple and (IMO) a waste to see a lawyer
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
No

My parents would need to go to Iran to get officially divorced first if anything.

Cause if they really wanted to get divorced, it'd be meaningless to do it just in this country.

Since if my mom is divorced, then the govt will pay her $ every month since she can claim she's unmarried/no support from a male etc. Pretty much if a woman doesn't have a man in her life they think she can't take care of herself lol. Or a least that's my understanding of it

The reason I mentioned the no kids under 18 was because every site I went to mentioned that is severely difficult to do a quick and easy divorce if there are minors involved. Like online divorce ones aren'trrally meant for those with kids (or at least this is how I understood it)

The people getting divorced arent anywhere close to my parents age lol. My parents are pretty old.

Anyways I'm used to OT just assuming whatever it wants and accepting it as fact without any proof etc : D

Since its obvious that you can walk in and get married but not walk in and get divorced, it's best to just tell them to go to LegalZoom

And why do you guys say get a lawyer? I'd assume getting a lawyer would cost pretty much double LegalZoom right?

Since its uncontested with no minors/property disputes etc, it's simple and (IMO) a waste to see a lawyer
talak talak talak and he's done!
      10-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

We the People also has the packet of papers but if I remember correctly, when I did my filings(did not use an attorney, she did unusual circumstances not worth going into) they would not file nor fill out as that constituted giving legal advice which they are not licensed for. Still had to go to the court house, fill the papers, get the sigs, be present for hearing etc.. In my case it was a change of status I did this for, from seperated to divorced (all assets were previously dissolved several years earlier), Have they thought about simply seperating? Same difference unless for some ungodly reason you want to get married again. Cost me $300 a little time runing around and she spent 3K dumb azz.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #22
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:

if this is the case it will be an easy divorce, i filed my own divorce and did all the paperworks and took less than 6 months for the entire process... not sure how legalzoom is charging 300 since the filing fee for all the papers are around 260-300... and this was 4 years ago. not sure if now had gone up...

also FYI make sure that all the paperworks are correct cause one little mistake they will send it back to redo...

6 months is the longest... if everything in papers are correct meaning no mistake then it will be done in 4-5 months but thats a very unlikely cause 6 months is the time frame.

pm me if you want to know more... but pretty much thats about it...

although my situation was a little different i have a kid under 18 (shes 8 now) i fought for everything, and end up winning the battle with legal and primary custody... 24hr 24-7 i have my daughter all she gets is visit... with that said it only took 6 months... just make sure that all the papers are correct...

Last edited by Grail05; 10-28-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0